Dressing for dinner on holiday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
Forum Member
✭✭
Why do people no longer dress for dinner on holiday, after a day on the beach or by the pool i think its nice to change into something smart for dinner but more and more people turn up to the restaraunt wearing shorts and teashirts, many hotels have dress codes which people ignore.

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm on holiday (abroad) I ALWAYS dress up.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerr60 wrote: »
    Why do people no longer dress for dinner on holiday, after a day on the beach or by the pool i think its nice to change into something smart for dinner but more and more people turn up to the restaraunt wearing shorts and teashirts, many hotels have dress codes which people ignore.

Because they are on holiday and no rules apply,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member

Brilliant! I've never had a holiday and I've never "dressed for dinner".

I have had a pasty though.

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant! I've never had a holiday and I've never "dressed for dinner".

I have had a pasty though.

You could dress up and go and eat a pasty ;)
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

Because I rarely, if ever, dress up to go out in the UK, unless I'm going to a wedding or funeral. If a pub or a restaurant has a dresscode (unless it's something simple like no jeans or no trainers), I'm very unlikely to want to drink or eat there. So the chances of me getting dressed up to go out in France/Spain/Germany (other than changing out of beach clothes into a shirt and trousers and a casual jacket) are very, very slim.

Thankfully, the numbers of places that have dresscodes has diminished drastically since I was young, and long may the trend continue.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree OP. I love it when I've had a day round the pool to come back to the room, have a lovely shower and then put on a nice maxi dress, do my hair and make up and head out for the evening. I really do hate it when I see people just wearing shorts and a vest or whatever when they're out for the night.
    What happened to making an effort to look good?

It's just another thing in the long list of standards going downhill in this country and we're poorer for it.
  • terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nudist colony.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree OP. I love it when I've had a day round the pool to come back to the room, have a lovely shower and then put on a nice maxi dress, do my hair and make up and head out for the evening. I really do hate it when I see people just wearing shorts and a vest or whatever when they're out for the night.

It's just another thing in the long list of standards going downhill in this country and we're poorer for it.

Agree. Nothing better than coming back from the beach, having a shower and doing hair/makeup and putting on a new item of clothing you've bought especially for the holiday (normally white :))
    Forum Member
    You could dress up and go and eat a pasty ;)

What....to Morrisons Hot Pasty counter? How dressy though? Smart casual, or full on evening dress?

:D
  • gipsycalistagipsycalista Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Don't get me started.

I agree with the OP-nobody seems to dress up for restaurants now or even special occasions.

I don't know if it is laziness or they just do not know when to dress up.

I've seen people going to christenings and funerals in jeans.
    To me it shows a lack of respect for the event and the family.

What really annoys me is chavs living in their tracky bottoms from morning till night, probably sleeping in them then going to the supermarket or into town. By this time they have slunk around their arses and we the great British public have to look at their white flabby mounds of fat bouncing over the top of the elasticated, much expanded waistband.
    They should be locked up for their own safety.

Sorry, got carried away.

Rant over.
    Forum Member
    Don't get me started.

I agree with the OP-nobody seems to dress up for restaurants now or even special occasions.

What really annoys me is chavs living in their tracky bottoms from morning till night, probably sleeping in them then going to the supermarket or into town. By this time they have slunk around their arses and we the great British public have to look at their white flabby mounds of fat bouncing over the top of the elasticated, much expanded waistband.

Sorry, got carried away.

Rant over.

Why does it bother you what other people do? I'm curious.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get me started.

Sorry, got carried away.

Rant over.

whats is slunk?
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Surely it depends where you are holidaying? If I were at a 5-star hotel or eating in a posh restaurant I'd probably make an effort. If I were staying at a typical tourist hotel I'd not bother. Surely no one dresses for dinner if eating at Burger King? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What....to Morrisons Hot Pasty counter? How dressy though? Smart casual, or full on evening dress?

Well for a start I would go to Greggs :p

A LBD might suffice for Greggs.

• *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I dress for dinner in my own house.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dress for dinner in my own house.

You're posh :p

Do you have servants who bang a gong when dinner is served? ;)
    Forum Member
    You're posh :p

Do you have servants who bang a gong when dinner is served? ;)

:D why yes but he roars rather than bangs gongs.

but sometimes I eat my tea in my bed with my pyjamas on.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D why yes but he roars rather than bangs gongs.

LOL....bless 'im
  • Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »

I actually think a nice vest and shorts looks better than maxi dresses.

I think maxi dresses are for lazy people who can't be bothered to make an effort. :p
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't dream of going into a restaurant naked, either on holiday or otherwise. I'd always put on a loin cloth at the very least...
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of going into a restaurant naked, either on holiday or otherwise. I'd always put on a loin cloth at the very least...

Of course not!! Where would you put your doggy bag?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to dress up for dinner when you stay at most places in the Caribbean. I went to a resort in Grenada and there was an actual dress code enforcer.
  • sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    I have an off-white linen suit that I wear if the need arises for smart clothes on holiday. When worn with my Panama and my black & silver cane I can pretty much get into any restaurant around.
    Forum Member
    sibooboo wrote: »

Ha! That's a great way of putting it.:D