Where is the variety?

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BGT is supposed to find an act to perform at the Royal Variety Show.

A definition of the word variety: "The quality or state of being different or diverse; the absence of uniformity, sameness, or monotony."

Every year it's the same old opera singers, child stars, joke acts and community dance groups. Where are the comedians? The Magicians? The Illusionists? The Vetriloquists? Go to a variety show and this is what you'll find, a bit of everything. In series one they did feature some of these acts quite heavily, but ever since it's been the same old.

It's boring now, the format could work if they looked outside of the box a bit. A new big name magician or illusionist could do well for ITV for example. I'm surprised they haven't yet thought of this, but then I think Simon only really understands singers and dancers. He's a bit narrow minded like that.

Comments

• patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A definition of the word variety: "The quality or state of being different or diverse; the absence of uniformity, sameness, or monotony."

Every year it's the same old opera singers, child stars, joke acts and community dance groups. Where are the comedians? The Magicians? The Illusionists? The Vetriloquists? Go to a variety show and this is what you'll find, a bit of everything. In series one they did feature some of these acts quite heavily, but ever since it's been the same old.

It's boring now, the format could work if they looked outside of the box a bit. A new big name magician or illusionist could do well for ITV for example. I'm surprised they haven't yet thought of this, but then I think Simon only really understands singers and dancers. He's a bit narrow minded like that.

Agree completely - good comedian, musician, illusionist - something different. Some of the singers tonight were just straight out of X Factor and some of the dancers should have been sent Davina's way. This is supposed to be about variety.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree completely - good comedian, musician, illusionist - something different. Some of the singers tonight were just straight out of X Factor and some of the dancers should have been sent Davina's way. This is supposed to be about variety.

We've had a comedian, a mentalist and an impersonator on More Talent. Why coudln't they have been on the main show?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    We've had a comedian, a mentalist and an impersonator on More Talent. Why coudln't they have been on the main show?

Yeah, it's a puzzle why they're not on the main show. Tonight's show was just a mash-up of Got To Dance and X Factor.
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's a puzzle why they're not on the main show. Tonight's show was just a mash-up of Got To Dance and X Factor.

I felt the same, except I doubt any of the dance acts featured on BGT would make it through to the live shows of Got To Dance, most probably wouldn't even get through the audition stage.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

I can only assume by being shoved onto More Talent it means that they won't be making the live finals. That's usually the case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member

I agree, I would like to see more variety, except ventriloquists, they give me the creeps :o

I sometimes wonder if the type of acts that are selected for the final are decided on dependant upon the other acts in the Royal Variety Performance. So if there are plenty of comedians lined up, they won't want another one, and so on.
  • asdf1982asdf1982 Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even when they do have variety in the final the public just votes for the singers. :yawn:
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, this show needs more variety. I didn't know there was a 'more' show though. I might go and hunt that out and see what's on it -all the singers and dancers on BGT has frustrated me, and bored me.
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asdf1982 wrote: »
    even when they do have variety in the final the public just votes for the singers. :yawn:

I know, last year we had some form of variety, magicians etc and the final had 4 singers. :yawn:
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I am still enjoying BGT, I feel that it really needs to have more variety this year. It is virtually all singers and dancers, and a lot of the singers could go on The X-Factor anyway. There are very few children this year as well.

This must be by far the worst year for lack of variety and lack of talent. No one seems to really stand out to me as they have done in other years.

Perhaps Britain has run out of talent now. :cool:
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What do you mean :confused: ,it's got the dancing dogs hasn't it...........oh! yes I see what you mean now :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Although I am still enjoying BGT, I feel that it really needs to have more variety this year. It is virtually all singers and dancers, and a lot of the singers could go on The X-Factor anyway. There are very few children this year as well.

This must be by far the worst year for lack of variety and lack of talent. No one seems to really stand out to me as they have done in other years.

Perhaps Britain has run out of talent now. :cool:

I think that Simon is only looking for nice little earners ie. pretty young girl singers. He rarely enthuses about musicians and humourous acts.
    Last year we saw a lot more variety in the selected for the TV audition shows.
    The dog act Ashleigh and Pudsey, singers Jonathan and Charlotte and hip hop dance troop United We Stand have stood out for me so far this year.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Let's not forget that when Spelbound (yes one 'l') won in 2010, the media moaned it had been a lacklustre year. But the act was different.

David and Karen signed up last year specifically to try and promote illusionists and didn't make the final. They were an established act and didn't need BGT (unless they hoped for more TV work). New Bounce won the public vote in the semi and the judges put through dotty organist Jean Martyn, much to the disgust of many people on DS.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    If Jean Martyn's Youtube videos outside of BGT are any guide she's actually a talented pianist, but in BGT she was appalling, it was like watching something out of Little Britain :eek:
    There were more talented acts (Gay and Alan - the bellringers, or David and Karen) who should have been in the final IMO. :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny that you posted this because I've just come here from The Voice forum and posted that I think that BGT viewers aren't getting the variety and are being presented with too many dancers to watch.

It has been said over the years many times that there isn't enough variety and the show tends to be too singer and dancer centric.

I don't know if this is true or not but I am getting the feeling with this series especially that there are way too many dancers and dancing groups being shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I also do think that those particular talents will exist too.
    Because we have seen them over the last few years on other non talent TV shows.

Unless suddenly nobody started learning how to do those things recently. Which I think would be very unlikely.
  • ToxicBlossomToxicBlossom Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I agree. Last night's ep was particularly dull in terms of diversity. Two singers and a dance group that was very same old, same old.

It's so predictable too, you can spot the singers a mile off even before they come on stage. Usually a pretty young girl or handsome young lad holding a mic behind the scenes and you just know they're going to sing.

We need more variety. I haven't seen one comic or impressionist yet and whilst I understand that the majority of them will be honing their skills on the circuit, it would still brighten it up a lot more. The time limit is very unfair to comics anyway I think.

They need at least 2 or 3 mins to really get into their act if it's going to be a good one whereas a singer just has to belt out one good note within 5 seconds of opening their mouths and you know they will get their 3 mins. I'd love to see a really good quick fire series of comedic sketches or something like that, or a really great magic act. 'Penn and Teller: Fool Us' has proven that magic can really wow and amaze you if it's done right. But they seem to be cramming in all of the singers and dancers they can get lately. It's getting very repetitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Simon thinks that variety means having a singer...but have them really old, or having a dancer...but have them really young.

Because apparently the studio audience really seems to think that age is an entertaining thing.
    Watch how they cheer and applaud somebody just for being old or young.:D
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really boring this year. The show has had its day.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I think the time limit should be extended to ca. 5 minutes which would open it up for comics, though someone like a Tim Vine or Stuart Francis would work well with the quickfire format.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asdf1982 wrote: »

And there's the answer. SC is only interested in ratings/voting revenue. He's not stupid, so if the singers and dancing dogs get the money rolling in, then that's what we'll get. You can't blame him really.

'Variety' acts are very subjective - someone on here hates ventriloquists, personally I don't see the point of magicians/illusionists (it's a trick fgs), but most people like a good singer, hence they will VOTE, which is what it's all about.

Personally, I'm not too interested in the so-called 'talent' - I just want to have a laugh and be entertained, (which is why I don't watch The Voice), and so far it's working for me. Now, where me keys? :D:D
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I was looking through DS and saw this article, I don't think this act has been shown yet? Could be classed as variety I guess.
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s107/britains-got-talent/news/a367665/britains-got-talent-amanda-holden-backs-monkey-act-for-success.html
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also do think that those particular talents will exist too.
    Because we have seen them over the last few years on other non talent TV shows.

Unless suddenly nobody started learning how to do those things recently. Which I think would be very unlikely.

These kind of acts do still exist. You can find them in holiday camps, hotels, on Cruise ships, at working mens clubs etc.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,963
    Forum Member
    You see more variety on Britain's got more talent on ITV2
    On tonight's episode, they had a mentalist, a comedian, an impressionist and they all got through to the next round.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These kind of acts do still exist. You can find them in holiday camps, hotels, on Cruise ships, at working mens clubs etc.

Some acts only work if there is a high turnover of "customers" who haven't seen it before. Once an act has appeared on TV it may no longer have an audience in a holiday camp, cruise ship etc.

In the days before radio or TV people made a living on the variety circuit performing the same 10 minute act for 30 years or more!

I suspect much of what we see from some acts on BGT is the totality of their 10 minute act, with the best bits compressed into 60 seconds.