Anybody on Orange help me with data?

ToxicBlossomToxicBlossom Posts: 219
Forum Member
Hi guys, I need some help here. Any you can give me would be much appreciated.

I have an iPhone 5 and I'm on Orange. I'm on a contract and get 1GB of data every month. The last two months my bills have been almost twice of what they usually are and it's due to me going over my data.

I'm always connected to my WiFi connection when I'm at home and I never watch any videos or download anything whilst on 3G. I think the reason I'm going over is because I run regularly, about 3/4 times a week for about 30/40 mins at a time and I use an app to track my route via GPS. Does GPS use up a lot of data? I'm going to stop using the app now as I think that's the reason I'm going over.

Also, does anybody have the My Orange app on their phone? It's great as it tells you how much data you have left. But I'm confused as to something on there. My phone bill comes out of my account on the 15th of each month but on the My Orange app where it tells me how much data I've used and how much I have left, it says my next bill date is on the 26th. :confused:

I need to know when my data is going to be reset to zero again as I'm going to keep track of everything now so I don't go over again. Anybody know whether it will reset on the 15th when my money gets taken out or the 26th what it says on the app? It's saying I have now used up all of my data and I don't want to even turn it back on again now until it resets but I'm confused as to when that will be.

Also, one more question for people who have the app. Anybody know if the data usage tracker on there keeps track of strictly mobile data used or does it include WiFi aswell?

Thank you!

Comments

• Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 26th date you're seeing in the app is when your quotas reset. The 15th is just when the money leaves your account for the previous months charges.
    The only thing I could suggest is turning data off when using the running app. The one I use (Garmin Fit) allows the data to be uploaded over WiFi afterwards. GPS itself will not use any mobile network data, except perhaps to help locate you a bit faster, but this will be negligible. It sounds like the app you use uploads the running data in real time, as opposed to after your run.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could run a shorter route :-)
    Sorry
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi this may be of use if you want 1GB data free but you have to be under 24 - here is more details from the Orange website:

"If you're under 24, you're in. With U24, you get an extra 1GB of data and unlimited UK calls and texts to your friends on Orange and T-Mobile. Just for being under 24.

To qualify, you just need to be under 24 and top up by £10 or more on Orange pay as you go, or be on a pay monthly plan worth at least £15."

https://kareena.orange.co.uk/numberlookup/go/lookUp?wt.mc_id=OFF_OUK_V_u24&wt.tsrc=Vanity
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    If you're not using a lot of apps when out and about, I think it's unusual to use 1GB, especially if using wifi at home. I'd contact Orange and ask them for some advice. I'd also suggest getting a data monitor app. There's plenty of free ones and it'll provide a breakdown of how much data has been used and by what app. Then you'll be able to see if you have a rogue app constantly using data for some reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    PollyPerm wrote: »
    If you're not using a lot of apps when out and about, I think it's unusual to use 1GB, especially if using wifi at home. I'd contact Orange and ask them for some advice. I'd also suggest getting a data monitor app. There's plenty of free ones and it'll provide a breakdown of how much data has been used and by what app. Then you'll be able to see if you have a rogue app constantly using data for some reason.

Definitely. I use Onavo on Android and it's really good. They also have an iPhone app.

I get alerts if my data is being hogged, and it will also tell me what's using the most. Worth a try on your next run.
  • ToxicBlossomToxicBlossom Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The 26th date you're seeing in the app is when your quotas reset. The 15th is just when the money leaves your account for the previous months charges.
    The only thing I could suggest is turning data off when using the running app. The one I use (Garmin Fit) allows the data to be uploaded over WiFi afterwards. GPS itself will not use any mobile network data, except perhaps to help locate you a bit faster, but this will be negligible. It sounds like the app you use uploads the running data in real time, as opposed to after your run.

Thank you for the help! I had no idea you didn't need 3G on when using GPS tracking! I'm such an idiot. I went running today without data turned on and it still worked, I checked My Orange app and I hadn't used any data whilst running. Can't believe I was so stupid! The app I normally used (Endomondo) just uploaded my data when I got back home over WiFi like your app does. Thanks, you've saved me a lot more money now!
    gillyallan wrote: »
    You could run a shorter route :-)
    Sorry

Now that would be cheating ;)
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Hi this may be of use if you want 1GB data free but you have to be under 24 - here is more details from the Orange website:

"If you're under 24, you're in. With U24, you get an extra 1GB of data and unlimited UK calls and texts to your friends on Orange and T-Mobile. Just for being under 24.

To qualify, you just need to be under 24 and top up by £10 or more on Orange pay as you go, or be on a pay monthly plan worth at least £15."

https://kareena.orange.co.uk/numberlookup/go/lookUp?wt.mc_id=OFF_OUK_V_u24&wt.tsrc=Vanity

Thanks very much for the rec! I'm not 24 until November so it's definitely worth using until then! I'm going to pop into the EE store after work tomorrow and see if they can activate it for me. Just tried to call Orange but the hold time was ridiculous.
    PollyPerm wrote: »

That's what I thought. Looking at my bill now it says I've used 4089MB in data :eek: Now I know for a fact I haven't used that many on the 3G network! If that includes WiFi too then that's probably about right. Then under 'Additional Usage and Costs' it says I've been charged £19 for using 630MB worth of data. The only thing I can think of is when I've been running as I don't download anything over the 3G network. I'm going to try Orange again tomorrow or maybe ask in store when I go in! I literally can't use any data now until the 26th of this month, it's going to be horrible.
    McTeagle wrote: »
    Definitely. I use Onavo on Android and it's really good. They also have an iPhone app.

I get alerts if my data is being hogged, and it will also tell me what's using the most. Worth a try on your next run.

Thanks to both who recommended the data tracking app. Along with the My Orange app which tells me how much data I've used, I've also downloaded another app that tracks my usage too. Never again am I going to go over, I can't afford to!