Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 1 review from Radio Times ( a couple of spoilers )
    So the crooked Cardinal has died and Peter Capaldi has deserted this enjoyable costume romp, for some reason or another. How will it cope? Well, there are still four terrifically dashing swordsman and a happy mix of intrigue, punch-ups, cleavage and leather, so there's plenty to like. One scene tonight where our heroes escape from peril via a sort of zip wire strung across a gorge is worth the price of admission alone.

But Porthos, Athos, D'artagnan and Aramis, fabulous as they are, surrender a fair amount of screen time in this opener to newcomer Rochefort - Marc Warren - an escaped nobleman with a nasty habit of killing bystanders wherever he goes. Together they plot to spring a French general from a Spanish jail, while double-crossing each other furiously.

Meanwhile at court, the Queen gives birth to a new dauphin. "Your son, sire" she tells the King, not quite accurately. That rascal Aramis knows better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Times has given episode one 5 out of 5 and says much the same things as the Radio Times does..

From the episode 1 and 2 spoiler pics that are going round, it really does seem that the new series will be darker, more ambitious and more exciting than S1
    with Aramis, d'Artagnan, Constance, King Louis and Queen Anne especially all having more intriguing development.

d'Artagnan and King Louis will be having a spot of bother together ( the beginnings of an acquaintance?) Constance is standing next to Queen Anne quite a bit, Aramis now has a son on his mind and Louis is part of the action more than he was in the last series.

Milady really has found a way of returning to Paris without Athos being a threat to her, at least in the immediate future
  • Options
    Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    TV Times has given episode one 5 out of 5 and says much the same things as the Radio Times does..

From the episode 1 and 2 spoiler pics that are going round, it really does seem that the new series will be darker, more ambitious and more exciting than S1
    with Aramis, d'Artagnan, Constance, King Louis and Queen Anne especially all having more intriguing development.

d'Artagnan and King Louis will be having a spot of bother together ( the beginnings of an acquaintance?) Constance is standing next to Queen Anne quite a bit, Aramis now has a son on his mind and Louis is part of the action more than he was in the last series.

Milady really has found a way of returning to Paris without Athos being a threat to her, at least in the immediate future

Oh I can't wait! I wasn't aware that the new series was starting in January and I have not read anything about it apart from this, but already I have a little smile on my lips and a feeling of excitement at the prospect. Bring it on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to SpoilerTV, the Musketeers 2 trailer will start doing the rounds on Friday 19th, after Eastenders..
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Fans of d'Artagnan and Constance will be very happy with a certain scene
    even if it does appear to be a dream sequence based on the mood lighting and fancy bed

d'Artagnan is becoming quite a handsome man and heroic too
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Fans of d'Artagnan and Constance will be very happy with a certain scene
    even if it does appear to be a dream sequence based on the mood lighting and fancy bed

d'Artagnan is becoming quite a handsome man and heroic too

There are huge amount of fans of them aren't there? Or perhaps I'm just visiting the wrong websites. I don't mind them, it's sweet and all that, but I'm a bit nervous at how popular they are.

I don't mind the arc being about their love story mainly but my favourites are Athos, Aramis and Anne, well the two Annes really- Queen and Milady. So I hope we get something satisfying in the resolutions of their stories this series too. Not to mention Porthos.

However there seems to be lot of focus on Constance and d'Artagnan.

I hope that the trailer is a bit misleading (and yes, they usually are).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    There are huge amount of fans of them aren't there? Or perhaps I'm just visiting the wrong websites. I don't mind them, it's sweet and all that, but I'm a bit nervous at how popular they are.

I don't mind the arc being about their love story mainly but my favourites are Athos, Aramis and Anne, well the two Annes really- Queen and Milady. So I hope we get something satisfying in the resolutions of their stories this series too. Not to mention Porthos.

However there seems to be lot of focus on Constance and d'Artagnan.

I hope that the trailer is a bit misleading (and yes, they usually are).

According to the producer "the journey of the show is towards D'artagnan's destiny as a great Musketeer" so even though the show is very much an ensemble one - with the four Musketeers getting more or less equal attention - d'Artagnan may sometimes get slightly more attention from the producers than the other three because the character is traditionally the main lead and loosely based on a real-life Musketeer who eventually became Captain.

Porthos has a big backstory coming up and the Aramis / Anne thing definitely plays a significant role in the new series, maybe not so much 'the ship' but definitely regarding what the two of them ended up doing towards the end of S1.

Milady has a very interesting 'position' in the new series, which would make it hard for Athos to touch her, despite his threat to kill her.

Constance is now
    one of Queen Anne's ladies-in-waiting, which puts her at the centre of Palace goings-on, aiding the Musketeers.

S2 definitely looks more exciting than S1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to the producer "the journey of the show is towards D'artagnan's destiny as a great Musketeer" so even though the show is very much an ensemble one - with the four Musketeers getting more or less equal attention - d'Artagnan may sometimes get slightly more attention from the producers than the other three because the character is traditionally the main lead and loosely based on a real-life Musketeer who eventually became Captain.

Porthos has a big backstory coming up and the Aramis / Anne thing definitely plays a significant role in the new series, maybe not so much 'the ship' but definitely regarding what the two of them ended up doing towards the end of S1.

Milady has a very interesting 'position' in the new series, which would make it hard for Athos to touch her, despite his threat to kill her.

Constance is now
    one of Queen Anne's ladies-in-waiting, which puts her at the centre of Palace goings-on, aiding the Musketeers.

S2 definitely looks more exciting than S1

Oh, you're right. and I know that the original books were not called The d'Artagnan romances' (or something) for nothing. That said, if they made d'Arty more like book d'Artagnan I doubt he'd be so noble and popular, and Constance would be dead.

However, in truth the makers have played fast a loose with both the original material and history, and I think that it's all the better for it.

I was just expressing some hope that we at least get a scene of Anne and Aramis and one with Athos and Milady. Those of us who like them are not daft, we know they can never be, unlike the mighty 'Constangan' who appear to be able to fight off all obstacles (for instance, I wouldn't mind betting that the husband meets a very convenient death this series) , we'd just like some resolutions.

Anyway, I agree it does look exciting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Oh, you're right. and I know that the original books were not called The d'Artagnan romances' (or something) for nothing. That said, if they made d'Arty more like book d'Artagnan I doubt he'd be so noble and popular, and Constance would be dead.

However, in truth the makers have played fast a loose with both the original material and history, and I think that it's all the better for it.

I was just expressing some hope that we at least get a scene of Anne and Aramis and one with Athos and Milady. Those of us who like them are not daft, we know they can never be, unlike the mighty 'Constangan' who appear to be able to fight off all obstacles (for instance, I wouldn't mind betting that the husband meets a very convenient death this series) , we'd just like some resolutions.

Anyway, I agree it does look exciting.

It's not over for Athos & Milady.. :)

I'm crossing my fingers that S2 gets decent viewing figures, to get us series 3...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not over for Athos & Milady.. :)

I'm crossing my fingers that S2 gets decent viewing figures, to get us series 3...

Yep fingers crossed. I've been disappointed in the past when dramas I loved went in a different direction. The ending Silk was so awful I have tried to blot it out and I didn't like series 2 of Ripper Street so much (but it did redeem itself in series 3) so I'm trying not to get too excited.

I enjoyed The Musketeers so much that I'm hoping that it keeps at least some of the elements that I like and if not, they hey I still liked it.

As they're planning on series 3 going in 'a different direction' my guess is that
    Rochefort doesn't make it till the end of the series. I also think that another character may die, possibly Milady. It may be the baby or Marguerite. Gawd I hope for the sake of the fans it's not Constance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC America trailer is definitely a bit better than the UK one - Rochefort comes across as being more menacing, there's certainly more realistic blood and violence in the new series and more raunchiness when it comes to the Musketeers' various romances, though the raunchy scene in the two trailers is the same except for added dialogue in the US version.

Can't wait now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC America trailer is definitely a bit better than the UK one - Rochefort comes across as being more menacing, there's certainly more realistic blood and violence in the new series and more raunchiness when it comes to the Musketeers' various romances, though the raunchy scene in the two trailers is the same except for added dialogue in the US version.

Can't wait now...

Yes the US trailer is rather different in tone, and there's a lot more dialogue in it too. Mind you trailers are nearly always misleading and rarely give away plot the way you think they do. There's an line in it where Anne says
    'your son has been kidnapped', but that could easily have been taken out of context and anyway, wouldn't she say 'my (or our) son'?

I do quite like the bloody executioners axe though, I wonder who that was for?

I've also read a comment on youtube by one of the producers (I think) Colin Wratten where he says the in new series

"Rochefort is more in your face and gets his hands dirty when dealing with his enemies. There's more d'Artagnan & Constance, more Milady & Athos, more Aramis & the Queen. Series 2 is bigger and better in every way"

So I find that quite heartening.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the US trailer? Can't see it on the BBC America YT page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where's the US trailer? Can't see it on the BBC America YT page.

I saw it on Tumblr, but they seem to have blocked it on that now too. So, I don't know how to view it in the UK now.

That said, it's different to the UK one but I don't think that there's anything in it which gives more information. There's a lot more speaking in it. More Rochefort, including a small humorous moment with Athos, more Queen Anne, more Porthos, and the bit with d'Artagnan and Constance has dialogue. The whole thing has a more 'action' feel, added to Pirates of the Caribbean style music.
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Thanks anyway. I guess its not long to wait to it the show anyway, so I'll hang on. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A video interview with the four boys is here, with several scenes from episode 1 itself, so spoiler alert..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZtREtjOLw#t=278
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen this on twitter from Slouching TV -
    Having just watched the first 3 eps of season 2 *whisper it quietly* but The Musketeers might just be better off without Peter Capaldi

I had little doubt the show would be better off having a proper villain because like Howard Charles has said, the Musketeers get to actually be heroes for a change.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen this on twitter from Slouching TV -

I had little doubt the show would be better off having a proper villain because like Howard Charles has said, the Musketeers get to actually be heroes for a change.
    Just to expand on my tweet, one of the furstrations of season 1 was that Richelieu was often peripheral to the action - after all, he's a politician, not a soldier. Marc Warren's Rochefort is more like the character in the books - he's a smart operator, but he's also a man of action as well as words.

I really enjoyed episode 1 - it was much more in keeping with the second half of season 1, which I though was notably better in quality. And (personal opinion, obviously) it isn't even the best story of the first three ...

I'll have a more detailed (spoiler-lite) preview up on the Metro website tomorrow morning and a review straight after the episode, for anyone who's interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum got into this show last night - she watched four episodes in one go - I must say it looks great on a large HD television.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave up on this halfway through the first series, but I will give this another go tonight as there doesn't seem to be much else on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A short preview ahead of tonight (no major spoilers)
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to recall last year that Hodges said when the show was commissioned he was told to make something that could go out at 8 or 9pm as the slot hadn't been decided. This unsurprisingly hampered the show somewhat. Now they know they're post watershed I suspect the tone will be more consistent and the show better focused.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alas, no more CapalCloak in the credits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    I seem to recall last year that Hodges said when the show was commissioned he was told to make something that could go out at 8 or 9pm as the slot hadn't been decided. This unsurprisingly hampered the show somewhat. Now they know they're post watershed I suspect the tone will be more consistent and the show better focused.
    Yes, I remember him saying that too. I think the timeslot was a contributing factor, but also the first half of the season was weighed down by having to establish each of the four central characters, plus Richelieu, Constance, King Louis, Queen Anne, Treville and Milady. It's tough to do all that with such a large cast when you only have ten episodes in total to play with.

This season that problem doesn't exist, except for Rochefort who is a big focus in this first episode (and, to a fair extent, in the second one too).