Comments

• Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So half of today's children are expected to live to 100...........And they got "Immortality is just around the corner" from that? Typical Sun...
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a great book called 'Trouble With Lichen' by John Wyndham which deals with this subject - it's a fascinating read.....immortality leading to widespread riots. Realistically, if there were an 'immortality medicine' it would have to be kept a closely guarded secret.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll run with this bit, right at the end of the article:-
    But the reality is scientists can’t even agree on what causes ageing, let alone how it can be stopped. Life expectancy might continue to creep up but there are no miracle cures.

The best route to a long life is to quit smoking, do a bit of exercise — and be happy. Feeling up-beat can win you an extra ten years.

And if you want to be happy, you might start by remembering that we’re already very, very lucky to live as long as we do.

The headline is just to grab your attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Immortality?

I'm smelling something from the resident Sun doctor, and it's not immortality...
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ll settle for immorality.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd hate to live forever.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you not seen The Green Mile?

Living for ages ain't all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Have you not seen The Green Mile?

Living for ages ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    And 'Death Becomes Her'? Immortality is just a recipe for disaster!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is too long as it is. You rarely see anyone who still looks chuffed to still be alive in their nineties. Being immortal would be crap.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life is too long as it is. You rarely see anyone who still looks chuffed to still be alive in their nineties. Being immortal would be crap.

Prince Philip ? lol

If people were still like they were at 20, when they were 95, it might be a different matter.

The issue then would obviously be birth control. You can have one child at age 350.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    And the government will have us working until we are 7000 years old..

Count me out...
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    And 'Death Becomes Her'? Immortality is just a recipe for disaster!

I dunno, I can think of nigh on a hundred situations when being able to do this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OfLNKnEynrc/TjEpBV5Zd3I/AAAAAAAANyo/UW4tuepUKV8/s640/936full-death-becomes-her-screenshot.jpg

Would be a positive boon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think living forever would be boring and depressing. i'm already fed up with life and i've only had a mere 27 years of it so far!
  • Options
    zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would I live forever, absoloutely not. I don't think I'll be able to bear more than 40 years.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could live forever...............just so I can watch The Sun newspaper being shut down in 100 years time and laugh. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Hitch Hikers guide to the universe a bod accidentally becomes imortal and becomes the most bored asnd depressed life form in the universe as he has seen all the films read all the books and been everywhere there is to go ... he has to dedicate his being to insulting everyone in the universe and here was the kicker in a alphabetical manor in order to not go insane.

R.I.P Douglas Adams.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No point being long lived if you don't have any quality of life.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't want to live for over 1000 years, i am 29 and to be honest i had enough of life already
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't want to live for over 1000 years, i am 29 and to be honest i had enough of life already

:(:(:(
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been just around the corner for almost 2000 years. Allegedly.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ll settle for immorality.

:D:D

filler
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    All very exciting.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    In the Hitch Hikers guide to the universe a bod accidentally becomes imortal and becomes the most bored asnd depressed life form in the universe as he has seen all the films read all the books and been everywhere there is to go ... he has to dedicate his being to insulting everyone in the universe and here was the kicker in a alphabetical manor in order to not go insane.

Then he joined twitter..
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if it does happen in the very distant future, but why on earth would anyone want to live forever?
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I echo some of these sentiments, the main reason for appreciating life as that it will only be around for a certain time, we would need a lot of fuelling in terms of stimulation, a situation that kept us secure with income and needs met to allow a much longer spell of life. I feel that we may not have to worry how long this particular life is as we will probably re-emerge in another form with everything more or less forgotten therefore you would be able to read the same books, watch the same films again anew in your next life!, some of us may have already done that!

If I'd been around long enough to have read everything, listened to everything and watched it all, the only thing left is for you to create your own content instead, I feel like that already with having watched a lot of films you just see the same patterns in most new ones you watch and no longer get a lot out of it, the same could be true of music, it gets genuinely harder to get new content that compels you.

If we could easily live for ages as we already see happening, being forced to spend it working whilst not even being promised a secure income in return for it, so with that in mind would rather stick to the 3 score years and ten!

At least it means I can stick to the fatty food I like and don't have to bother getting a lot of exercise so I can have a more fun but shorter time!