Dog not eating much

TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a Shar Pei just over 12 months old and she doesnt eat much.

She's not lost any weight and she is her normal playful self. there is no change in her toilet habbits at all.
This seemed to start after she had her first heat which wasn't that long ago.

If you put her food down she may just nibble at it or not touch it at all ..Iv'e tried her on different foods

But I will add when she is hungry she does eat most of her food on that day

Check up at the vets next week if she doesnt improve

Any thoughts

Thanks

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours eat less when the weather is warmer I wonder if it is just summer appetite ? would get her checked though anyway never hurts to just be sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the same as Molliepops. It could just be the heat and can't be bothered, feel the need to eat more. Have her checked up though to put your mind at ease.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the heat combined with her season, most likely.

a friends 2 year old GSD is just coming out of heat now, she ate like a horse for a week, barely ate anything the next week, and she's just started wolfing her meals down again (and then asking for more! i drew the line at two mug-fuls of kibble last night, despite her asking for more.)

possibly TMI here, but i know when i'm due to be in that particular womanly way, i could eat the world for a few days before, then suddenly one day will barely want anything.
    always put it down to hormones for myself, could be a similar case with dogs though i suppose :D

our male collie hit this stage at about 12 months too, though, you had to stand over him to get him to eat his meals, otherwise he'd just nibble at it and walk off. so it could be her age too, but if she's healthy and happy, you don;t need to worry too much.
    as the others have said though, if it gives you peace of mind, there's not harm in having her checked over
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cabbage often leaves food if she's not interested, McGee and Ren are greedy and will eat whatever is in front of them, but Cabbage eats only what she needs to, bless :)
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A loss of appetite is quite usual when it's warm (my cat is currently the same)just make sure there's plenty of fresh water available because the bodily functions need that on a constant basis.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she has had her first heat she is making the transition from puppyhood into adulthood and you will notice at this stage that she needs less food anyway. As long as she appears happy and healthy I wouldn't worry.

It's worth getting a thermometer for your dog in situations like this so that you can monitor temperature. If the temperature is high you have an early symptom of infection on your hands and can take action. If not, you can put your mind to rest while keeping a careful eye.