Options

Ever wished your cat could understand you for just a few seconds...

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..so you could tell them how much you love them?

My little cat was from the vets, and she wasn't far off being sent away to the RSPCA. As a cat that doesn't like other cats and just having grown out of her fluffy kitten period, apparently it doesn't hold them in such good stead as far as adoption goes.

Yeah, she gets on my nerves sometimes when she wants to constantly play and I'm tired after work, but like now, when she's lying down behind me on the chair all curled up, and occasionally squeaking and chirruping. And then she wakes up from a dream and squeaks for a little cuddle!

And when I get home, every day she's by the day making the chirrupy purry meow noise to say "Welcome home!" and we have a play and a cuddle.

I just look at her sometimes and it gets me a bit upset thinking that she could have ended up being put down if no-one wanted her, and then it gets me thinking about all the other little cats that that does happen to.

I think I'm just in a soppy cat mood ;)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i totally understand!

we rescued our two a few weeks back - fatty matty and pretty lady - i tell them everyday that i love them and that they'll always have a home with me no matter what - i wish they understood instead of looking constantly scared that i am going to put them outside and never let them in again (like their old 'owners' did) :cry:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God no. I have a theory cats would just swear at you all the time if they could talk. And let's face it they aren;t exactly brainy. What could I possibly say to it or it to me that would be worth saying?:)
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Ever wished your cat could understand you for just a few seconds...

You mean they can't?:eek: :D

They don't need words, actions speak louder.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats are like dogs in that they live in "the now" and have no idea of what went on yesterday unless they got food or some other comfort. Having said that they look deep into our eyes and want, what they want is the big question. If your cat could understand you then it would always be aware that the food from that tin was opened yesterday and the milk or water has not been changed as you forgot. They would hide from you as they have heard you thinking that there is a visit to the vets soon (booster time). Keep the mystery going for all concerned. Have you noticed how often the little things you feed and water on demand almost will always need to use their tray and fill the house with ........ well, you know, just before your guests arrive for the evening. MMMM they understand all right, the little................sweeties?
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww cats *play you* as well dont they! (question mark key doesnt work :eek:) They know you and they willl play you and exhaust you. My little tortie girl is only allowed out when I go in the garden ie to hang washing out! YEP!:mad: As soon as the machine stops she knows I have to hang washing out, all she wants to do is go out and roll over and over on her back purring and chatting all the time and eat grass! I bring her in after a few mins and she is fine, she's got her fix:D:D

I must say I think cat owners are a *breed on their own* I'm totally nutty and my cat friends are also.:D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew it was not just me! Although I am barmy it is nice to have the company.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I have conversations with my cats. They always make a polite reply, and have a variety of noises to convey their meaning. Leo will come up to me to initiate conversation, no apparent other motive. I don't suppose he understands my comments on the value of the Euro, nor do I understand all of his meows, but we get by:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Cat owners have always been called *weird* well I dont mind! If I'm weird I'm weird! Real cat lovers KNOW their cats totally. We may be strange who gives a sh*t :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    I have conversations with my cats. They always make a polite reply, and have a variety of noises to convey their meaning. Leo will come up to me to initiate conversation, no apparent other motive. I don't suppose he understands my comments on the value of the Euro, nor do I understand all of his meows, but we get by:D

:D:D:D I know and dont tell me what my babes say when I ask them *who do I vote for* :D:p
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber understands me perfectly well - she simply chooses to ignore me :D

She was also a pet shop kitty and poorly with cat flu when we got her at 9 weeks. I hope the other kittens were OK and went to good homes but we've always doner ight by Amber....

She's now 2, rules to roost and we simply adore her! She knows this full well and uses it to her advantage all the time :p
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ALWAYS talk to my cat. When I come in from work I chat away to her whilst I get her dinner.

Sometimes I forget the patio doors are open and the neighbours can hear me.....:eek:

But I dont care...I'm happy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think we know then ! Were a " funny lot" :D
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    My cats have special noises that I do understand at times, like the 'I've caught a mouse' noise, and the 'I've caught something really big and I'm incredibly proud' one. And I daresay everyone's cat makes the 'You haven't fed me for a week' noise. So, I reckon they do understand, in return, our noises too, to a similar extent. The 'you are he best puss in the world, give me a cuddle' one, and 'here's your favourite food' one in particular. As has been said many times though, they may choose to ignore you.
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think cats are more perceptive than you think. About a year ago I fell quite badly in my kitchen, almost like a shot the cat ran over to me, put both her paws on my shoulder and started whimpering. I was in pain but was so touched by what she'd just done. She sat with me until I'd managed to get up and wouldn't leave me alone for the rest of the day.

I think they do know you love them which is why they react like that. She'll show you in her own time - although I hope for your sake it doesn't take a fall for her to show it!
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat definitely understands the word food! Anything else he either doesn't understand, or chooses to ignore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I still talk to Smudge-The-Barmy-Cat even though she is deaf :o she likes to follow my feet and talks to my slippers :D like she is strolling along beside them having a conversation!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ALWAYS talk to my cat. When I come in from work I chat away to her whilst I get her dinner.

Sometimes I forget the patio doors are open and the neighbours can hear me.....:eek:

But I dont care...I'm happy!

I do that! I'm chirping away about "my baby boy" to said cat -- and he often replies. And then I hear a noise from next door's garden ... and I realise that I've "been caught" doing it again. :o I don't really care either! :)
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    And let's face it they aren;t exactly brainy.

A bit harsh - they are one of the most intelligent mammals on the planet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    My cat fully understands me and vice versa. When I ask if he wants something, he replies.

They do suffer selective deafness tho:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat fully understands me and vice versa. When I ask if he wants something, he replies.

They do suffer selective deafness tho:D

:D:D Oh yes, Its when they sit with their back to you and totally ignore you but their ear go back when you are talking to them. :D *buggers*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked my cats if they could feed themselves instead of me and they said "Me-ow", sorry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    All the time! I read once that if you treat a cat well, you will have a friend for life. That bit is absolutely true. Pickles comes to me every day for a cuddle and to spend time with me. I sometimes wonder if he can understand me when I am talking to him like the soft sod I am! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was cooking dinner recently I spent a good twenty minutes chattering to my cat who was curled up perfectly peacefully by the kitchen door.

It was only when I put the main light on to do the washing up that I realised I'd been talking to my handbag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was cooking dinner recently I spent a good twenty minutes chattering to my cat who was curled up perfectly peacefully by the kitchen door.

It was only when I put the main light on to do the washing up that I realised I'd been talking to my handbag.

As long as you are not feeding and watering it your almost ok.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That did make me laugh :D

Yes, i wished my cat could understand me last Tuesday. I had to have her put to sleep as she was old and had trouble breathing. I held her tightly, cried into her neck and told her i loved her.

I hope she understood.