A bird has flew down my chimney and is stuck behind the fire. Any ideas what to do?

13»

Comments

• grotbags1975grotbags1975 Posts: 3,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ask the bitch to leave
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    What is involved in 'simple ... leak checking':eek:

Lighting matches until the house goes up?

Or getting a meter on the supply with all gas appliances turned off & bubble test. Like the £80 CORGI engineer will do.

To get the bird out when it happened to me, the whole housing had to be removed.

Yeah, I do that all the time fitting LPG systems, lighting matches :rolleyes:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JDnm wrote: »
    The RSPCA/RSPB will do frig all.

I had some bird half dead in my drive all day once. The RSPB said they cant be arsed coming out to sort it (or words to that effect).

I still stand by my original sentiment - smoke the frigger out. He's trespassing and you are well within your rights to defend yourself.

Called the RSPCA for an injured swan. After finally getting through I was put on hold then cut off. Got back through and they told me to ring the police if it was causing a danger (can an angry injured swan by the side of a road not be a danger?)

Police showed just before I rang 'em. They got a local wildlife sancturary and a vet to come out, within 20 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lot of experts on here aren't there?

The only ones making sense are those suggesting getting a CORGI registered engineer out to remove the gas fire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic I was in a layby the other day and watched a blackbird fly in front of a moving car, it hit the screen and landed on the road flapping around in pain. I was going to try and save it when another car went straight over the top of it bursting it's guts out of it's mouth and bottom.
    I'd have to say if it was my house I'd let it die as birds die everyday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I do that all the time fitting LPG systems, lighting matches :rolleyes:

Probably not a great idea. I've heard that stuff's quite flammable.:eek: ;)
  • JDnmJDnm Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly off topic I was in a layby the other day and watched a blackbird fly in front of a moving car, it hit the screen and landed on the road flapping around in pain. I was going to try and save it when another car went straight over the top of it bursting it's guts out of it's mouth and bottom.
    I'd have to say if it was my house I'd let it die as birds die everyday.

Friggin ell, I hope I dont ever meet you. Do you not realise Humans die everyday aswell?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDnm wrote: »
    Friggin ell, I hope I dont ever meet you. Do you not realise Humans die everyday aswell?!

Just make sure you are feeling ok and you'll be fine .
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you try 0800 111 999?
    There is no point in phoning the gas emergency number as the gas distribution companies are only responsible for as far as the meter. Anything beyond the meter is up to the owner of the property to look after.

If the gas fire needs removing they will need to get a gas installer to do this for them.
  • Rocket RomanoRocket Romano Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to me back in Durham last year

I called a local fire installation company and they took the fire out and installed a small metal cage over the chimney to stop anymore birds getting in.

Cost me £50 but worth it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    There is no point in phoning the gas emergency number as the gas distribution companies are only responsible for as far as the meter. Anything beyond the meter is up to the owner of the property to look after.

If the gas fire needs removing they will need to get a gas installer to do this for them.

Thought as much. It's just that TRANSCO, as they were, came and got the bird stuck behind my fire out years ago. As I said in another post, I didn't think it was likely they'd help now. :(

Still had to get a Gas engineer to put the fire back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool: :cool: :cool: Turn the fire on to about gas mark 5, cook for about 2 hours depending on the size of the bird....put some potatoes on the boil and some veg to gowith it....then enjoy MWHAHAHAH!:cool: :cool: :cool:
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a bird in our attic once. It was dead. I nearly stood on it. It was the most horrible experience ever as i'm absolutely terrified of bird, dead or alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't watch Alfred Hitchcock's movie then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't watch Alfred Hitchcock's movie then.

:D:D:D

Seriously, is the bird still alive now?
  • planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RampageOC wrote: »
    Who would i be best calling. I tried taking the fire apart but dont want to mess with it to much.

thanks

This has happened to me loads of times. Usually it's very young, injured or ill birds that it happens to. They usually die very quickly and I've only known of one that actually managed to work it's way back up the chimney and escape. Unfortunately on one occasion one live bird, before falling down the chimney had been got at by flies. The "eggs" hatched behind the fireplace and our sitting-room was suddenly invaded by about 100 freshly born bluebottles. Needless to say they died immediately and I've got 100 notches on my fly-swat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a bird in our attic once. It was dead. I nearly stood on it. It was the most horrible experience ever as i'm absolutely terrified of bird, dead or alive.

I found a massive bird nest in my loft....I paid a man to take the massive pile of twigs and straw away :o

On another occasion I found a wasp nest with 40,000 wasps in it....paid another man to take that away too. Yes, it was live...had to wait till the winter before he could do his work.
  • Holly GolightlyHolly Golightly Posts: 4,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On another occasion I found a wasp nest with 40,000 wasps in it....paid another man to take that away too. Yes, it was live...had to wait till the winter before he could do his work.

*screams* :eek:

I'd have wet my pants.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd have wet my pants.

How would that help? :confused:

Do you have Hymenoptera repellant urine?

:confused:

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *screams* :eek:

I'd have wet my pants.

I nearly soiled them too :o