Options

ITV advertising on Channel 4.

wmoorewmoore Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
I was surprised today to see an ad for ITV drama on Channel 4. First time I've seen this. Is this now common now.?

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channels can advertise on rival channels, but they can't include the programme time. Just "this week" or "coming soon".
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah I saw the same one before Big Brother on Channel 5 on Friday night!

thought i was watching the wrong channel!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 advertised Homeland on ITV, so I doubt they'd be too offended by ITV pulling the same trick...
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen adverts for upcoming C4 programmes appear on Sky channels from time to time.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    djleekee wrote: »
    yeah I saw the same one before Big Brother on Channel 5 on Friday night!

thought i was watching the wrong channel!

Speaking of which, when Channel 5 first picked that show up, I think it was advertised more on 4 than it was on 5...
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It happens alot.
    You'll see Channel 4 promo's on BT Sport, UKTV and so on. ITV have a deal with Channel 4 now and i believe for some on Sky channels too
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    It happens alot.
    You'll see Channel 4 promo's on BT Sport, UKTV and so on. ITV have a deal with Channel 4 now and i believe for some on Sky channels too

As a side-note, Channel 4 Sales handle the advertising sales for BT Sport and UKTV.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember and correct me if I'm wrong but ITV used to say what was on Channel 4 in the days of Thames, "Over on Channel 4 now so and so while next on ITV Emmerdale Farm" or whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    As a side-note, Channel 4 Sales handle the advertising sales for BT Sport and UKTV.

I know :)
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    I remember and correct me if I'm wrong but ITV used to say what was on Channel 4 in the days of Thames, "Over on Channel 4 now so and so while next on ITV Emmerdale Farm" or whatever.

Indeed. See here at 3.55
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channels can advertise on rival channels, but they can't include the programme time. Just "this week" or "coming soon".

I don't think it's that they can't, I think it's that it's best too as it means people then go searching through the guide and might see other things they want to watch.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »

That's right, and Channel 4 reciprocated. It was in the days when ITV would have had to bail out Channel 4 had they got into financial trouble, and in return they got a share of its profits. Mutual cross-promotion was part of the arrangement.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I don't think it's that they can't, I think it's that it's best too as it means people then go searching through the guide and might see other things they want to watch.

Under the rules, "Licensees are obliged to accept generic advertising from competing broadcasters, but are entitled to refuse to accept commercials which promote particular programmes at particular times on competing services".

I don't think many viewers will search a week's worth of listings to find a programme they've seen advertised, so it would be a huge advantage if they could say "Starts Tuesday at 9pm" rather than just "Next Week" - but then the other broadcaster would quite rightly reject the ad.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am sure I saw on advert for Channel Four's American Football show on BT Sport that included the day and time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am sure I saw on advert for Channel Four's American Football show on BT Sport that included the day and time.

There's no restrictions on having a time and date within the promo.
    The broadcaster can refuse to run the ad if it contains one, but there is no law that bans having a time and date.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Channel 4's american football coverage is made by Sunset & Vine... who (not at all) coincidentally also produce most of BT Sport's output.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an ITV ad on Sky Sports last night.