100k house bbc 2

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not getting this. Why is it called £100k? A couple had a disastrous extension for £5k and another woman has £20k to give her home more space so why is it called £100k:confused:

Why did the woman buy that tiny house which doesn't suit her needs ..... I missed that bit.

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it does seem to be a very tenuous premise for yet another home makeover show.

Not sure about the presenter either. He's no Sarah Beeny!

As for the second pair, I have a garage conversion too built by the previous owners but at least they thought about access and natural light.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Just started watching. Its the 100k team isn't it? but they're focusing on different people not spending 100k to build their home but are renovating instead.

Maybe they couldn't find anyone with 100k
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the £100k just a carry over from the previous series where people were trying to build a new house for less than that amount. Agreed that the sum has no relevance to this series though.

I don't understand with the couple from Co. Durham how neither they or any builders would have not noticed that the doorway into the extension was so tiny. Presumably it was annotated with measurements in the plans even if it was a conversion of a garage?
    Forum Member
    msim wrote: »
    Is the £100k just a carry over from the previous series where people were trying to build a new house for less than that amount. Agreed that the sum has no relevance to this series though.

I don't understand with the couple from Co. Durham how neither they or any builders would have not noticed that the doorway into the extension was so tiny. Presumably it was annotated with measurements in the plans even if it was a conversion of a garage?

The wife could see it, but I think the buiders and husband said that it would be OK
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msim wrote: »

They must be mad paying for that. I wouldn't have paid them a penny until I had a full sized door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    The wife could see it, but I think the buiders and husband said that it would be OK

Wouldn't a door that size be against building regulations?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »

Yes, but as builders they must know what a standard door size is and would have noticed before the work started? Even he seems quite clued up on things so he must have been nuts to ignore her.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Wouldn't a door that size be against building regulations?

Probably I don't know. Bet the husband found someone down the pub to do it, he looks the type.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good job but that lime floor is horrible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floor in the extension is hideous and regardless of what was said about it being hardwearing it will scratch, scuff and chip with use. And I will never understand the point of floating kitchen island units housing just a sink with barely enough room to drain a few dishes on.
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've done a great job of transforming that cottage. It looks a completely different and much better place.

But, I don't get the premise of the show. The 100k house? No. :confused: She said she bought that for £178k and had £20k to do the renovations, so its a £198k house!
    Forum Member
    I like what she's done with the cottage. I wasn't sure about keeping the downstairs loo, but she doesn't seem to be that mobile so probably needs it.

The green floor was interesting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    They've done a great job of transforming that cottage. It looks a completely different and much better place.

But, I don't get the premise of the show. The 100k house? No. :confused: She said she bought that for £178k and had £20k to do the renovations, so its a £198k house!

She's probably added a lot more to the value of the house than what she has spent.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's probably added a lot more to the value of the house than what she has spent.

And got rid of all her clutter! That was what was making it look so small before. She had boxes everywhere .... Where's all that gone because they didn't build her any large storage spaces.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I'm not getting this. Why is it called £100k? A couple had a disastrous extension for £5k and another woman has £20k to give her home more space so why is it called £100k:confused:

Why did the woman buy that tiny house which doesn't suit her needs ..... I missed that bit.

Because she made what is probably the biggest investment of her life without thinking, just "fell in love" with the idea of an English cottage.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy God in heaven, that green floor was horrendous! Like living in a luminous swamp.

If I was them I'd start saving pronto for a nice bit of hardwood flooring.
  • MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    ...got rid of all her clutter! That was what was making it look so small before. She had boxes everywhere .... Where's all that gone because they didn't build her any large storage spaces.

I'm disappointed we didn't hear that conversation.

SWMBO and I were shouting at the TV about getting rid of the excess. You can't downsize your house and take everything with you, which seemed to be what she was trying to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because she made what is probably the biggest investment of her life without thinking, just "fell in love" with the idea of an English cottage.

It wasn't what I would call a traditional "English cottage". It was just a small terraced house.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed we didn't hear that conversation.

SWMBO and I were shouting at the TV about getting rid of the excess. You can't downsize your house and take everything with you, which seemed to be what she was trying to do.

Do what I did, put things you never use on eBay. Get people to collect so you don't have to faff about with the post office. You can make a tidy sum too . You'd be surprised what people buy
  • able1able1 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The woman had been a nurse for 40+ years, she must surely have saved something and have a substantial pension.

Why on earth opt to live in something akin to a doll's house.
    Idiotic.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Good job but that lime floor is horrible.
    Amazing transformation - but yes, the floor.:o

Loved the Cottage.:cool:
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The folding doors were lovely and it did look nice at the end, but it was so tiny. Fine to stay in for a weekend but I'd go stir crazy in a house where the downstairs was little more than a narrow corridor.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one who doesn't remotely get the title of this series. That green floor was like toxic waste, the way it illuminated the whole room in a sickly green hue. And I normally like green!