Options

US TV Execs gone crazy?!

No less than 27 Movies are being turned / developed into potential TV shows during this development cycle in the US! Add to that the crazy number of remakes which are also being explored! Seems US TV has run out of ideas?

27 movies currently being turned into TV shows

Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/movies-being-made-into-tv-shows/32522/updated-27-movies-currently-being-turned-into-tv-shows#ixzz3ITmp9L6S

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see an issue

They are taking an existing idea from a movie, and expanding it into several hours of television. It's what they do with that idea and expanding it is where the originality lies.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main selling point is name recognition. If the "brand" is already out there and recognised by the public, that's half the marketing done already.

Something like Big, for example, could easily be replicated without infringing copyright. Yet that particular film is fondly remembered, so there's a certain amount of confidence in the "brand".
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Built-in audience appeal sometimes even trumps 'the idea/premise'. These studios need mass appeal, that reaches beyond the US.

So, I don't really mind. I've rarely seen (luckily) most of the films they adapt. And fortunately for those that have, they will likely put a new spin on it anyway.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and most of them will NEVER see the light of day either, chained to the devils hoof in development hell!!!
    :D
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably watch all of them. I wanted a minority report sequel so I'd love a series
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's very rare that tv shows based on films last very longg... the only ones that sping to mind are MASH and Buffy The Vampire Slayer
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    It's very rare that tv shows based on films last very longg... the only ones that sping to mind are MASH and Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    Dixon of Dock Green
    Stargate SG-1 and its spin-offs
    Alice
    The Odd Couple
    Fame
    Highlander
    La Femme Nikita

All long-runners.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dixon of Dock Green
    Stargate SG-1 and its spin-offs
    Alice
    The Odd Couple
    Fame
    Highlander
    La Femme Nikita

All long-runners.

I take the point but even so that still only few out of many pilots/show based on films
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,714
    Forum Member
    Given how it ended, one film that I thought would spin off into a TV show would be "Hardwired".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, they just want the name, rather than copying the idea.

I heard an interview with Carlton Cuse, where he made it sound like (and I don't know if this is actually the case), they came up with the idea for Bates Motel, and it was later crowbarred into a Psycho prequel by Universal, in the hope that it would benefit from "brand recognition"...
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I would love a tv version of the net, the sandra bullock film and with things the way they are now with technology do engrained in our lives right down to wearable tech, it would make a good series if done right
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    *marv* wrote: »
    I would love a tv version of the net, the sandra bullock film...

There WAS a TV version of the film The Net. It lasted one season in America, 1998 to 1999. 22 episodes. I never watched it.
  • Options
    EnricoIVEnricoIV Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm sure it's no more than typically goes on. 90% will likely never get out of development. And 90% of those that do will never make the air.