Ketchup

whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
Forum Member
✭✭
I've always been a Heinz fan, I've tried numerous others and rejected them all until I tried marks and spencers. It's much richer and tomatoey and a fraction of the price of Heinz.

So what's your ketchup brand?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Heinz fundamentalist! Death to Crosse and Blackwell and their runny concoctions!
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until recently I was a Heinz man, but I've discovered the Lidl ketchup. More tomato flavour and the same sweet and sour balance. At less than half the price a real winner.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Usually Heinz it what we use, but my wife recently got Asda own ketchup which surprisingly was rather nice.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys Tomato Ketchup is rather good.

I boycott all Heinz products after they closed the H.P. Sauce factory in Birmingham years ago.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not all that bothered about ketchup. It's not like I eat it with a spoon. I just like a little of it to compliment a burger, hotdog or a squirt into a sauce.

I think i've just got the asda value ketchup in at the moment. I often cut it with other sauces also such as mayo, garlic mayo, bbq sauce or hp sauce.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always Heinz. I'm a ketchup freak lol!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I used to swear by Heinz, but I'm sure it's runnier these days (plus I didn't realise they have a different recipe for sachets and bottles).

Like the above poster I go with Lidl's now, more tomato-y and lovely flavour (good and thick too)
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daddy's for me :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I have Asda's at the moment. I don't really like any of Heinz stuff and use ketchup so rarely I wouldn't notice the difference anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Tesco's organic ketchup
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tesco Value.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I've always been a Heinz fan, I've tried numerous others and rejected them all until I tried marks and spencers. It's much richer and tomatoey and a fraction of the price of Heinz.

So what's your ketchup brand?

I've always been a Heinz girl but would be very interested in trying the M&S stuff. Aldi does nice ketchup also.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally Sainsburys own, it is as good as any other and better than others.

I tend to avoid Heinz these days
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heinz but Sainsbury's own make is very close in quality. Best of the supermarket own brands.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always had Heinz because of taste and thickness, But more importantly it is made from real tomatoes, i think i am correct in thinking the only one that is... and toms had been proven good for the prostrate . so are heinz beans sauce made from toms,, so more toms the better..
    Can you find any-other ketchup just as good for you.
  • SwarfegaSwarfega Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit of a ketchup ****. I don't really mind whose I buy.
    I won't buy Heinz due to cost and will avoid the basics or value range - not because I know they're awful, simply because I imagine they will be.
    As it is, I'll buy the next level up, the supermarket own brand. Although I've tried Morrisons own brand and found it truly dire.
    I work for M&S and have never actually bought ours - after the earlier recommendation I may have to get some.
    Currently got Branston ketchup on the go and it's pretty good. It was on offer.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always had Heinz because of taste and thickness, But more importantly it is made from real tomatoes, i think i am correct in thinking the only one that is... and toms had been proven good for the prostrate . so are heinz beans sauce made from toms,, so more toms the better..

Wrong, other ketchups do actually use real tomatoes aswell as Heinz. Also, the amount of ketchup you' would need to consume to make it beneficial would be ludicrous, why not try eating actual tomatoes if this is the purpose for eating beans and ketchup? They don't have added sugar or salt either.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    In our house we usually buy Heinz but my mum's the only one who eats it, nobody else can stand it. I always hated the stuff even as a kid. I had a friend once who used to like eating chips and she'd put a load of ketchup on the plate and dip the chips into it :eek: Was revolting really.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Heinz is certainly not the only ketchup made from "real" tomatoes. Most of them are.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our house we usually buy Heinz but my mum's the only one who eats it, nobody else can stand it. I always hated the stuff even as a kid. I had a friend once who used to like eating chips and she'd put a load of ketchup on the plate and dip the chips into it :eek: Was revolting really.

Hate to point it out to you, but that is quite a common use for ketchup:eek: that's like saying, I once had a friend who got a slice of bread and put it in the toaster!:eek::D
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always Heinz, bought Daddies and didn't like it, it's still in my cupboard.

I once ran out of Heinz and went corner shop and bought a Happy Shopper one, it was lovely. But Happy Shopper is no more.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    I don't like ketchup but the other Mr Malpasc says that Heinz is by far the best. He usually gets the organic version.

I am more of a brown or fruity sauce person. I particularly like Sainsbury's own Fruity Sauce.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi, I think its bramwell or something. Pretty good balance between sweet/sour and good consistancy and half the price of heinz.

Also did get heinz premium one recently from discount shop (I guess they don't do it any more). it was REALLY thick and that was OK.

We make a very quick and easy dip with ketchup, garlic, corriander, chilli powder and salt. Prefer that to plain ketchup.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco value fans here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for Lidl own brand, in my opinion it's better than Heinz.