Options

ITV Failing to Broadcast Major Transport Disruption.

zandarzandar Posts: 929
Forum Member
✭✭
This morning, the Great Western Railway is suffering major disruption due to signalling being damaged in the Slough area. (Only about 25% of services are running). Both BBC Wales & BBC West (Bristol) have reported this disruption in their inserts into 'Breakfast'.
Both ITV Wales & ITV West have failed to make any mention of this major disruption.

I don't know who is at fault here; the failure of the rail authorities to inform the broadcasters or the broadcasters failing to check the transport situation? What is clear is that viewers would be well advised to watch BBC 'Breakfast' rather than ITV's 'Good Morning Britain' if they wish to be informed about major travel disruption. I further note that the regional inserts into 'Good Morning Britain' are only about half the length of those on the BBC - presumably because ITV prefer to devote more time to their naff competitions where they try and make money from the gullible phoning in? Having said that, ITV West (Bristol) news found time to mention that Birdlip Hill near Gloucester had flooding on the A417. Presumably that was more important than the fact that the Great Western had huge numbers of cancellations & late running?

If it creates a timing problems for broadcasters to make last minute changes to their regional inserts, perhaps it would be a good idea to put transport issues as a moving banner across the base of the screen?

Comments

• Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »
    This morning, the Great Western Railway is suffering major disruption due to signalling being damaged in the Slough area. (Only about 25% of services are running). Both BBC Wales & BBC West (Bristol) have reported this disruption in their inserts into 'Breakfast'.
    Both ITV Wales & ITV West have failed to make any mention of this major disruption.

At the other extreme, BBC Breakfast at 06:10 this morning had a reporter stood on a bridge over the M62 at Huddersfield, telling us that is was the "first major rainfall in almost a month, and we should all take extra care this morning"

No shit Sherlock !!

I switched off, total waste of time, both TV morning shows in my opinion
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zandar wrote: »

I don't know who is at fault here; the failure of the rail authorities to inform the broadcasters or the broadcasters failing to check the transport situation? What is clear is that viewers would be well advised to watch BBC 'Breakfast' rather than ITV's 'Good Morning Britain' if they wish to be informed about major travel disruption. I further note that the regional inserts into 'Good Morning Britain' are only about half the length of those on the BBC - presumably because ITV prefer to devote more time to their naff competitions where they try and make money from the gullible phoning in? Having said that, ITV West (Bristol) news found time to mention that Birdlip Hill near Gloucester had flooding on the A417. Presumably that was more important than the fact that the Great Western had huge numbers of cancellations & late running?

If it creates a timing problems for broadcasters to make last minute changes to their regional inserts, perhaps it would be a good idea to put transport issues as a moving banner across the base of the screen?

Also reported on the BBC London opt-out in Breakfast
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    At the other extreme, BBC Breakfast at 06:10 this morning had a reporter stood on a bridge over the M62 at Huddersfield, telling us that is was the "first major rainfall in almost a month, and we should all take extra care this morning"

No shit Sherlock !!
    Try aiming that at those idiots on the road today who seemed oblivious to the conditions - yes, those people do exist and some might actually take heed of any warnings issued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Try aiming that at those idiots on the road today who seemed oblivious to the conditions - yes, those people do exist and some might actually take heed of any warnings issued.

Well, I suppose if Breakfast are pitching themselves at an idiot audience, then they are spot on with their content :D ;-)
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I suppose if Breakfast are pitching themselves at an idiot audience, then they are spot on with their content :D ;-)

Judging by some of my experiences in bad weather, many of those "idiot audience" members drive company/lease cars of the BMW variety :(
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's odd though as I didn't hear about any train issues until I got into work this morning and then when I checked on the regional news on the BBC there was no mention (that I could see). The story is there now with a update time of 10:16.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV also failed to mention that the M4 at Newport had flooding which was causing tailbacks for miles.http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/flooding-leads-13-mile-tailback-rush-7887044
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV also failed to say the No3 bus in Inverness was late earlier....feel cheated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a long report from Paddington on BBC London News at 6.30 including a 2-way.Apparently things should be back to normal by the morning.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What disruption?:confused: It RAINED!!!!
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,941
    Forum Member

I think they mean the signalling failures on the rail network, and very heavy rain in some area (which typically causes disruption to road and rail, especially if it causes power outages as happened today).
  • Options
    cutty sarkcutty sark Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I was listening to my local ILR station and they mentioned strong winds having an effect on local traffic. Like the OP I immediately wanted more info before I set off for work so I turned on GMB.. not a dickybird. I ended up having to listen to the radio again. Can anyone please tell me which advertisers products pay for this abomination of a national breakfast programme so I can boycott them forthwith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the quickest ways to check if your trains are running is to go to this website and scroll down to Departures and input the name of your station. (This can be more useful than going to the individual TOC in cases where more than 1 company operates on a route. Note, that if a HST , for example, is cancelled, then this will impact on other trains on the same line that might well be shorter and hence overcrowded).
    http://www.nationalrail.co.uk
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    cutty sark wrote: »
    I was listening to my local ILR station and they mentioned strong winds having an effect on local traffic. Like the OP I immediately wanted more info before I set off for work so I turned on GMB.. not a dickybird. I ended up having to listen to the radio again. Can anyone please tell me which advertisers products pay for this abomination of a national breakfast programme so I can boycott them forthwith.

Surely radio is the best place anyway to get local traffic info. GMB is clearly not a major news source and doesn't pretend to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which was my point yesterday. Seems that rain (despite the fact wind and torrential rain are a traditional element of UK October weather) has suddenly become newsworthy enough to send an SNG truck and reporter to a motorway bridge to report on it <rolls eyes>

The Paddington line problems yesterday, were due, according to BBC South Today last night, to the ongoing Crossrail upgrading work, and as pointed out such failures have
    been regular (once every 4 to 6 weeks) over the summer.
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely radio is the best place anyway to get local traffic info. GMB is clearly not a major news source and doesn't pretend to be.

Exactly. As more people listen to the Radio than watch TV in the morning and with recent cutbacks by both the BBC/ITV it's surprising they haven't both got rid of the Regional News updates within the Breakfast programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which was my point yesterday. Seems that rain (despite the fact wind and torrential rain are a traditional element of UK October weather) has suddenly become newsworthy enough to send an SNG truck and reporter to a motorway bridge to report on it <rolls eyes>

The Paddington line problems yesterday, were due, according to BBC South Today last night, to the ongoing Crossrail upgrading work, and as pointed out such failures have
    been regular (once every 4 to 6 weeks) over the summer.

According to BBC London TV last night and local radio stations in the area the problem was a signalling failure at Slough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    According to BBC London TV last night and local radio stations in the area the problem was a signalling failure at Slough.

It was, but BBC South implied (by interviewing a project manager from National Rail) that
    it was as a result of modification work for Crossrail and the electrification of the West and Wales lines ?
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best place for rail or road news is local radio, and also for rail news as already stated nationalrail.co.uk, never see the point in having it on tv, as when you need it you are 9 times out of 10 already out !
    Looks like it was a major cable fault
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cutty sark wrote: »
    Surely tuning into GMB for important info like traffic is like buying the Daily Star for the news?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never quite understood why BBC London News gives details of problems with the underground, there can't be many people with a TV on the tube and any information is likely to be out of date by the time you've left home and reached the nearest underground or overgound station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This morning (Friday 10 October 2014), a signalling fault at Twyford has reduced the number of trains on the Great Western Mainline. ITV West (Bristol) have reported the matter on their insert into Good Morning Britain as has BBC West on their insert into Breakfast - though they give the impression that no trains were running between Paddington & Cardiff which was not the case. (PAD to Swansea trains were running but not those that terminated at Cardiff).

Anyway, the bad guys this morning are BBC Wales who have failed to mention problems on the GWML. They have also failed to give any warning of the strike by Arriva Trains Wales from mid-day today to mid-day on Saturday by crews based in north Wales. (An early Holyhead to Cardiff train has already been cancelled). Seems to me that viewers in north Wales would be better off watching BBC North-west where the Manchester newsroom did indeed report that strike action would affect ATW services from noon today. No wonder many residents of north Wales feel almost abandoned by Cardiff based broadcasters!

ITV Wales did report in their bulletins this morning that ATW crews in north Wales were likely to strike but failed to mention any of the problems of First Great Western services between south Wales & London.
  • Options
    statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    All the travel information is equally available to all newsrooms so decisions whether to report or not will be down to local editorial judgment. Also the threshold when a story migrates from being travel news to be part of the main news, and sometimes train info is considered the poor relation to incidents on the roads, though it has the potential to affect many more commuters
  • Options
    djleekeedjleekee Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think it's brilliantly illustrated here that each news operation varies on what they report.

Major traffic disruption will always be reported on the tv but it seems both outlets now prefer to put other travel news only on their websites. If you are travelling on a major journey surely you would check an online outlet or even the company you are travelling with directly.

I wouldnt personally rely on anyone else to report it due to the shortness of the bulletins and other more important news they want to transmit!