Options

I want to get into BSG - Help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Everyone says on here that its the best thing on TV at the mo, and Sky are starting it from the beginning of the first full season on the 11th June, but someone said you need to see the miniseries first to get it properly.
I dont want to buy the miniseries in case I don't like it and its a waste, and I can't d/l on my computer because its a works one I bring home.
Can someone give me a synopsis of the essential things I need to know from the 2003 miniseries before the start of Season 1?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    here ya go, you really should actually just watch it tho its sooo much better.

http://www.tv.com/battlestar-galactica-2003/show/23557/episode.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=tabssh&tag=tabs;episodes

i didnt watch it till jan then i thought i would give it a go and i was hooked watched the mini series all 3 seasons and Razor in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

But what exactly is a Cylon?:confused:
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Mrs Harman wrote: »
    Thanks.

But what exactly is a Cylon?:confused:

Cylons are a race of robots created by man who then went to war with humanity. Some of them look like conventional robots, but others are indistinguishable from people.

You really should buy the miniseries - it's only £6 at play, and its very good.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You really should buy the miniseries - it's only £6 at play, and its very good.

Ditto.

Just get the miniseries - it's cheap, & it's excellent :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case it's not been impressed enough upon you, I'll add to the voice... GET THE MINISTRIES. Not seeing will probably RUIN you enjoyment of Series 1 (which will make little sense without it).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    I'm with Histeria - you can't really start without watching the miniseries (more of a big 3-hour movie, really), which sets the scene much better than any synopsis, and is a damn fine rivetting piece of sci-fi movie action. For £5.99 at Play.com, it's actually a bargain!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously Mrs H. Get the mini series for £6, it's very good and a great introduction to it all.

BSG is fantastic stuff and to watch it all from Episode 1 will be a treat for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I also agree with Histeria get the Miniseries first, then watch the series as the miniseries sets the series up nicely and is well worth getting and you will enjoy it. It is a great series and the best there is on TV to date. Well worth watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Message recieved loud and clear:)
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word of warning. Don't expect any 'happy' episodes (I can't remember (m)any). But as a serious SF drama series, it's pretty much in a league of its own.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    One word of warning. Don't expect any 'happy' episodes (I can't remember (m)any).

It's occasionally laugh out loud funny - but often in a "gallows humour" way.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd disagree about it being laugh out loud funny and in fact the lack of humour in a show, which is about exploring what it is to be human is the reason that I admire BSG rather than love it.

You really do have to watch the miniseries before starting to watch the series, as it makes it a lot easier.

I started at the start of the second season and watched all that and the third before I saw the mini series and the first season. Once I'd seen those then I 'got' more of what had been happening in the episodes that I'd already seen.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd disagree about it being laugh out loud funny and in fact the lack of humour in a show, which is about exploring what it is to be human is the reason that I admire BSG rather than love it.

Occasionaly.

Season 1 did have various laugh out loud moments. Since then yes, the humour has dried up. Having said that, despite all the season 4 grimness, I actually think this season has had several good humorous moments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per above - there are some genuinely funny moments - esp in Season 1. They pretty much revolve around Gaius Baltar (and moreover, James Callis's performance), but they're definitely there. BSG is indeed a deeply serious show, but part of an exploitation of the human condition revolves around the ability to laugh at the bleakest things. There's little more human than a character as deadly serious as Adama getting a fit of the giggles.
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    This is the recurring theme that always makes me shy away from BSG: the dourness/lack of humour/darkness. Now, I've watched dark series before (DS9, Sleeper Cell etc), but there was usually some little humour to balance out the darkness (OK, not much in SC, but Ilya's rap-turn on "El Segundo" was hilarious!), but from what I read here and elsewhere there's nothing to relieve the unremitting darkness of BSG.
    I really don't want to watch something to be depressed --- that's one of the reasons I stopped watching Millennium: made me want to just go slash my wrists! I've watched depressing stuff before of course --- "1984" was a fantastic movie and "Human Trafficking", though bleak and scary, was a brilliant mini-series --- but generally I want to watch something that's not going to have me jumping off the roof in despair!
    That said, the praise for BSG is so unanimous and glowing that I really think I should watch it, specially as it's beginning from the start on Wed, but I just don't know...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trollheart wrote: »
    That said, the praise for BSG is so unanimous and glowing that I really think I should watch it, specially as it's beginning from the start on Wed, but I just don't know...
    Worth reiterating the warning that it is not being broadcast from the start on Weds - the show is already three hours in by that point.
  • Options
    andyhurleyandyhurley Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the recurring theme that always makes me shy away from BSG: the dourness/lack of humour/darkness. Now, I've watched dark series before (DS9, Sleeper Cell etc), but there was usually some little humour to balance out the darkness (OK, not much in SC, but Ilya's rap-turn on "El Segundo" was hilarious!), but from what I read here and elsewhere there's nothing to relieve the unremitting darkness of BSG.
    I really don't want to watch something to be depressed --- that's one of the reasons I stopped watching Millennium: made me want to just go slash my wrists! I've watched depressing stuff before of course --- "1984" was a fantastic movie and "Human Trafficking", though bleak and scary, was a brilliant mini-series --- but generally I want to watch something that's not going to have me jumping off the roof in despair!

It may be dark but I definitely don't find it depressing. There is a streak of hope running right through and mini victories all along the way. The only truly depressing thing is the tagline, "All this has happened before and will happen again." I suspect this means the writers aren't planning a happy ending but then there could never really be a happy ending for all concerned given the complexities of the stories.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest, overall I personally dont think it's as dark as some people make it out to be. The only season I found hard to get through was season 3, but that was more to do with a style/substance/direction imbalance imo.

Compared to other series? If I were to compare it to DS9 for example, I would say BSG makes DS9 look like a Walt Disney production.

However I think Babylon5 was much darker (than BSG). Despite it's humorous moments and overal excellence, I always found B5's almost constant sense of impending doom quite hard going.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started watching s1 without miniseries, and it didn't take me long to get up to speed.

And the miniseries has a slow start with a huge number of characters being introduced. It's one of those, you know? When I finally got around to seeing it, I found it an effort to get into.

However, you probably should see it at some point, and it might as well be in the correct order. Maybe you can rent it on DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my utter amazement I've just found Online streaming of the miniseries on Surf the channel - BONUS!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to echo what everyone else has already said:

Get the miniseries, sit back, relax and get ready to watch some bloody good TV and be gripped by the force that is BSG. :)
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Mrs Harman wrote: »
    To my utter amazement I've just found Online streaming of the miniseries on Surf the channel - BONUS!

They also have the full series there....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I'm just watching through them on DVD now - currently up to episode 6 of season 2.

Season 1 was brilliant, but it definitely helped watching the mini series first. For £6, it's well worth it - and if you don't like it, you more than likely won't like the show, so that'll save you wasting your time watching them!

That said, I'm sure you'll like it. I don't know anyone that doesn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Praxidike wrote: »
    That said, I'm sure you'll like it. I don't know anyone that doesn't.
    I once met someone who didn't.

It was weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen the miniseries now, twas good if a tad grim, think I'll follow the rest on TV better than watching it online. Don't know if I'll be a huge fan but I'm certainly going to give it a shot.