Options

Sky+ listing oldest recordings first! annoying!

2»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    Legislation does exist against archiving - the "copyright laws" which only allow recording for timeshift purposes and according to that they should be deleted after a "reasonable" time (which has not been as yet defined in court). If Sky were to make their stbs more useful for archiving they could well come up against problems obtaining rights to broadcast some material from certain suppliers. Although those suppliers could insist that recorded material has an expiry date to limit archiving - something I have already seen a couple of times so far on movies.

Your subscription is to view broadcasts (or timeshifts) and NOT to produce archived recordings - something Sky supply with "Buy and keep".

Methinks you doth protest too much. I am well aware of all the relevant law and I suspect that most other people are too. But that is a matter for individual subscribers only to consider, and comply with or ignore. If archiving is a problem for Sky and copyright owners, they need to introduce an archive block with auto-delete like the BBC desktop iPlayer does or used to do - they should not be interfering with PVR usability, especially when it's inferior in this respect to its rivals.

This is a PVR usability issue and nothing else. Youview have overcome it easily (and probably VM too though I have no direct experience of them) and Sky could too, if they gave PVR usability the level of priority that it deserves.

Anyway, the suggested changes would be useful for legitimate time-shifting, as well as illicit archiving! How long is a legitimate time-shift anyway? I bet you can't say! :cool:
  • Options
    SMILER30SMILER30 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    This is coming in the next update.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Was at my friends, who works for Sky and his has been updated

I like it, makes more sense to have the newest recordings on the top and they have also moved the scheduled recordings to a separate tab

The other thing I liked from what I saw was you can delete all viewed episodes in a series, which makes life easier when my son records a million episodes of Phineas and Ferb
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    This is a PVR usability issue and nothing else. Youview have overcome it easily (and probably VM too though I have no direct experience of them) and Sky could too, if they gave PVR usability the level of priority that it deserves.

Looks like you may have spoken to soon :p
    SMILER30 wrote: »
    This is coming in the next update.
    Jack Bauer wrote: »
    Was at my friends, who works for Sky and his has been updated

I like it, makes more sense to have the newest recordings on the top and they have also moved the scheduled recordings to a separate tab
  • Options
    Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    I'd also never advise anyone to fill up a drive, knowing how prone to failure PVR hard drives are. That's an awful lot of programmes to lose when the inevitable happens.

So are you suggestion we don't record anything just in case the drive fails?
  • Options
    Trainer99Trainer99 Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    If Sky were to make their stbs more useful for archiving they could well come up against problems obtaining rights to broadcast some material from certain suppliers.

What rubbish. Most other stb have this function and they have no issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like you may have spoken to soon :p

I prefer to look at it as words of wisdom confirmed. :D

Took them long enough, too - and it hasn't even happened, yet! Oh, and another thing they should crack on with is to put dates (day of week, day of month, month) in the planner recorded list - it is so refreshing to see that on Youview in comparison with Sky's dated planner, which I grumbled about years ago.

Just get on with it, Sky!
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    You poor thing, having to press the "i" button to see the date of a recording!
    If you remember, for years Sky+ only showed you the date and day of the week for recordings, no month or year, now that really was annoying!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    You poor thing, having to press the "i" button to see the date of a recording!
    If you remember, for years Sky+ only showed you the date and day of the week for recordings, no month or year, now that really was annoying!

Doesn't bother me really but as someone started a thread on the planner issues, we may as well get them all in! :D

These are the kind of things that you get used to and just accept, until something better comes along. For me, that was getting a Youview box last month, which really shows up how out of date and clunky the Sky Planner/menu is. No wonder they are now (we are told anecdotally) finally developing an improvement - and it's a plus for competition because without that, Sky may never have even bothered (if they are in fact are doing something).
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The problem with adding the date in the planner list is that it would need another column, which I think would probably make it rather cramped.
    The simplest answer would be just to have the date on the first information page instead of the second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    The problem with adding the date in the planner list is that it would need another column, which I think would probably make it rather cramped.
    The simplest answer would be just to have the date on the first information page instead of the second.

There is plenty of room to add a month, day of month and date of month, space that's currently wasted. With a marginally smaller font, it would work even better. It works well on Youview without losing any of the other 'at a glance' planner information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough, there is now a thread for people moaning that the latest recordings are at the top!!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062640
  • Options
    the-masterthe-master Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm one of them (a moaner about the new system I mean, I haven't posted in that thread). I was very happy with the old system as I would look at my planner to see which series had been there the longest and watch them in that order of oldest first. I do not want to see the new ones first. Where was the consultation with this? At least there should be the option for either or.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    the-master wrote: »
    I'm one of them (a moaner about the new system I mean, I haven't posted in that thread). I was very happy with the old system as I would look at my planner to see which series had been there the longest and watch them in that order of oldest first. I do not want to see the new ones first. Where was the consultation with this? At least there should be the option for either or.

I think its a great idea. In most cases older recordings are stuff I have already seen and want to keep for a while or shows I juts haven't got round to watching yet. I usually find the programmes I want to watch straight away are the newer recordings and scrolling through dozens of pages either backwards or forwards is annoying. Now they will be there on the first page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Funnily enough, there is now a thread for people moaning that the latest recordings are at the top!!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2062640

:D:D:D
    the-master wrote: »

Prefer new first, though agreed that the sort order should be user-selectable. I haven't got the updated planner yet though, does it show recorded date now and let you permanently separate present and future recordings? Those would be even more useful (as per Youview planner).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Prefer new first, though agreed that the sort order should be user-selectable. I haven't got the updated planner yet though, does it show recorded date now and let you permanently separate present and future recordings? Those would be even more useful (as per Youview planner).

There was a link in the other thread, taking you to the Sky announcement:

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2015/sky-improves-skyplus-tv-guide-making-it-even-easier-to-enjoy-favourite-shows

Looks like there is no date shown, but there is now a separate tab called scheduled recordings, for future recordings.
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Previous builds already showed recorded date and time if you press i when an asset is highlighted in the planner. The new Scheduled tab shows the day and time future recordings will occur on, and not appearing in the recorded section of the planner anymore.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Switched the box on again today to get this - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206466376406560&set=a.1724969732429.2098349.1483973192&type=1&theater

Do you think Sky could have actually picked up on the suggestion here?
    Much more useful to get newest programmes recorded first! Episodes of shows are still listed oldest first though.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switched the box on again today to get this - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206466376406560&set=a.1724969732429.2098349.1483973192&type=1&theater

Do you think Sky could have actually picked up on the suggestion here?
    Much more useful to get newest programmes recorded first! Episodes of shows are still listed oldest first though.

Easy way to solve the episode stack issue you have when on the first episode of the stack just press channel up and you get to the top of the last page of the stack, from there its only 7 or less down from that.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Easy way to solve the episode stack issue you have when on the first episode of the stack just press channel up and you get to the top of the last page of the stack, from there its only 7 or less down from that.

Say you have 6 episodes recorded during a week. If the newest was at the top of the stack you would have to press numerous extra buttons to watch them in order.

Putting newest first in the stack would NOT be an improvement. Quite the reverse.

In fact if this new update (which we haven't got yet) removes the planned episodes entirely from the list and into a separate folder I would see that as unhelpful too - as if a series link fails it will not be obvious.

If they are in the same folder then when they appear they are obvious and reassuring. You don't have to go chasing around to other folders to check up all the time.

Whilst I guess I will get used to it I find all this fiddling by Sky on top of the price rise a bit offputting to be honest. Not everyone will be crying whoopee.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact if this new update (which we haven't got yet) removes the planned episodes entirely from the list and into a separate folder I would see that as unhelpful too - as if a series link fails it will not be obvious.

If you have a compatible box you can force update it now to R011.
    On R011 scheduled recordings are now listed in a dedicated scheduled tab, they are no longer in the "All" tab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Say you have 6 episodes recorded during a week. If the newest was at the top of the stack you would have to press numerous extra buttons to watch them in order.

Putting newest first in the stack would NOT be an improvement. Quite the reverse.

If they are in the same folder then when they appear they are obvious and reassuring. You don't have to go chasing around to other folders to check up all the time.

Whilst I guess I will get used to it I find all this fiddling by Sky on top of the price rise a bit offputting to be honest. Not everyone will be crying whoopee.

Sky should make it user-selectable (sticky unless and until changed by the user). Allowing one-click changes to a sort order has been commonplace for many years in computers and on the Internet, the coding is trivial and no doubt would be in a PVR. Don't the Sky designers/developers/coders use computers and the Internet like the rest of us, haven't they noticed? :confused:
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    If you have a compatible box you can force update it now to R011.
    On R011 scheduled recordings are now listed in a dedicated scheduled tab, they are no longer in the "All" tab.

For the reasons just stated I don't want this any quicker than it gets forced onto us if you can no longer see future planned recordings from the main planner.

A serious retrograde step IMO being sold by Sky as an improvement.

Given the other thread in here (that I hadn't seen before my post above) I want it even less if instead of putting the next episode reassuringly into your main planner as it starts recording the current one - so you can see it has worked - it plonks it out of sight elsewhere.

And - according to that thread - uselessly just says Next Recording with no date or time as before - only changing to the form it now has maybe a day or two before it records not a week before if a weekly programme as on the old format.

If Sky's software designers think THAT is a helpful improvement to functionality then Sky need new software designers.