Speed caps being reinstated on Full Monty plans

Comments

• Mr MotMr Mot Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Having been on their old FLEXT plans up until a few years ago and then moving away and back to a plan with "unlimited" Internet, I'm well aware of how tmobile's speed caps work.
    They're in place constantly, not just if you abuse the service.

I use around 1-1.5GB per month with next to no tethering but do like a nice quick data connection on the odd occasion that I need to tether or download something on my handset.

As others have said, tmobile have always plain lied about the caps when questioned about them.
    I only returned from 3 due to the new FM having its cap removed.
    Now I'm stuck in a contract for another 9months with no get out by the sound of it.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the caps should only be put in place to stop people treating mobile internet without it's limited in air capability / bandwidth like they would wired or fixed internet.

Nobody cared about 3 5 or even 10GB, but when people start doing 60GB+ that isn't sustainable or fair to other customers.

I think it would be fairer for 3 and T-mobile to have a throttle that starts at 10GB and then progressively gets more aggressive the more you go past that. So that you still get unlimited, but the speeds gets pulled right back if you are a really heavy user.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I think the caps should only be put in place to stop people treating mobile internet without it's limited in air capability / bandwidth like they would wired or fixed internet.

Nobody cared about 3 5 or even 10GB, but when people start doing 60GB+ that isn't sustainable or fair to other customers.

I think it would be fairer for 3 and T-mobile to have a throttle that starts at 10GB and then progressively gets more aggressive the more you go past that. So that you still get unlimited, but the speeds gets pulled right back if you are a really heavy user.

This is something in place on a lot of carriers in the US, including T Mobile. They offer unlimited without speed limits, but once you hit the threshold of 1 gig, 3, 5 or 10 gig (network depending), they throttle you to non HSPA speeds or sometimes as low as 100kbps for the rest of the month.
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you can get unlimited, but with speed cap or a fixed contract with faster speeds. People can choose then.

As will all these things it's not the 99%, it's the 1% that abuse the service and hammer the downloads 24/7 that mean these things often get taken away. The 60GB+ a month club on a mobile internet connection.

They now will only be able to download 1/2 and not impact regular users as much.

We don't know the info yet, it could be once you've downloaded a certain amount that they start throttling.

Ur repeating the networks propaganda there....
  • danielmeahdanielmeah Posts: 461
    Forum Member

Instead of looking at usage you should look a the true picture its not about how much GB or MB u use. its how u use it.. Cell towers have capactiy in spectrum and backhaul not how many GB per site.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Everyone seems to be talking as if its across the board. It's not, it's on FM plans. All other T-Mobile, Orange and EE plans are unaffected. Therefore say is to make LTE look good cant be right. The whole 3G/LTE fluctuating speed issue is down to current upgrade work. You wait till every cell is fibred. Then see how fast it is.
    As far as I can see there is only 1 EE plan that gives you unlimited calls, texts, speed AND data and that's Orange iPhone extra £51. I assume they have similar plans for other phones, I haven't looked.
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets wait to the 16th and see it it happens as we don't have any corroboration from tmobile as of yet
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    Lets wait to the 16th and see it it happens as we don't have any corroboration from tmobile as of yet

16th is also the date rumoured for Visual Voicemail, could be a case of using that to soften the blow.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beecart wrote: »

I doubt they'd confirm this if it's something that the full monty plan was meant to have all along. If their terms state there's a cap, and it's removed, they still have the right to re implement the cap at any time. On the other hand, if the terms didn't state there's a cap, there would be trouble.
  • denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    This is something in place on a lot of carriers in the US, including T Mobile. They offer unlimited without speed limits, but once you hit the threshold of 1 gig, 3, 5 or 10 gig (network depending), they throttle you to non HSPA speeds or sometimes as low as 100kbps for the rest of the month.

You don't have to look at the US, Virgin Mobile does the same here on their unlimited data plan. Hit 10GB and they will throttle your speed down to 384kbps.
    Forum Member
    jon41 wrote: »
    16th is also the date rumoured for Visual Voicemail, could be a case of using that to soften the blow.

VV date is actually the 21st not the 16th.
    Also VV will only be available to EE4G and Orange customers at first. T-Mobile will get it in the spring.
    This (I think) is because EE4G and Orange use the Orange voicemail platform and VV is being attached to that platform.
    I have a feeling that T-Mobile users will be moved to the Orange voicemail platform later thereby then allowing VV.
    The less functional T-Mobile voicemail system will then be ditched.
    I dare say that eventually the Orange data provisioning system will also be ditched in favour of the T-Mobile/EE system too.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Also VV will only be available to EE4G and Orange customers at first. T-Mobile will get it in the spring.
    This (I think) is because EE4G and Orange use the Orange voicemail platform and VV is being attached to that platform.
    I have a feeling that T-Mobile users will be moved to the Orange voicemail platform later thereby then allowing VV.
    I dare say that eventually the Orange data provisioning system will also be ditched in favour of the T-Mobile/EE system too.

From what i've seen and heard Orange's billing/data systems are as dated as (insert rude word here)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    I doubt they'd confirm this if it's something that the full monty plan was meant to have all along. If their terms state there's a cap, and it's removed, they still have the right to re implement the cap at any time. On the other hand, if the terms didn't state there's a cap, there would be trouble.

But that's the point. There's no mention of a speed cap when you sign up or in the terms.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for updating, I think the integration will happen sooner rather than later. Every time I've called regarding migration issues back from EE to Orange the Orange CS have said before EE they could phone some one and get the issue resolved there and then, now they have to send a request to an offline team and the only response they get is "added to work list" and 3 weeks on I have to carry two phones around, one to make calls and another to receive as I have split service over two SIM's.

Hopefully when Orange do integrate they leave iPhone 51 extra as it is, the only unlimited plan / speed which makes the cost just about bearable!
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was told 16th for T-Mob VVM as well.
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    From what i've seen and heard Orange's billing/data systems are as dated as (insert rude word here)

Can I insert F**k? Hahahaha
    Yes they use pretty much the same system they had in the late 90s. The system is not capable of stopping data when the allowance runs out. Which is pants in this day and age.
    Their voicemail has always been superior to T-Mobile's
    When EE4G was launched they basically took T-Mobile's data provisioning and Orange's voicemail. Good move. Surprising for a large company to get something right :)
    I've said this before but I was impressed when I 'moved' from Orange to EE4G. I went to re-record my Outgoing voicemail message only to find my old Orange one was still there! The only difference was I now had the slightly sultry sounding Annie rather than Ruth. Nice :D
    Forum Member
    Can I insert F**k? Hahahaha
    Yes they use pretty much the same system they had in the late 90s. The system is not capable of stopping data when the allowance runs out. Which is pants in this day and age.
    Their voicemail has always been superior to T-Mobile's
    When EE4G was launched they basically took T-Mobile's data provisioning and Orange's voicemail. Good move. Surprising for a large company to get something right :)
    I've said this before but I was impressed when I 'moved' from Orange to EE4G. I went to re-record my Outgoing voicemail message only to find my old Orange one was still there! The only difference was I now had the slightly sultry sounding Annie rather than Ruth. Nice :D

Haha, i'm friends with the manager of my local EE store (was T-Mobile) and he's running both the Orange EE and T-Mobile EE stores in the town and he just cannot get on with the Orange system at all. He did say as well that the T-Mobile system would take over for most things.

I've heard mixed reviews of people moving from Orange to EE but it's good everything works for you. I think Three's voicemail is the worst because it tells you the date, time, caller, full mobile number and your horoscope for the next fortnight before it actually lets you listen to the message... it's horrible!
    Forum Member
    This is why VV will improve things for everyone. I find that even EE VM is too slow to get to the message. To be able to play my messages in any order from a text message like interface will be great.
    Forum Member
    This is why VV will improve things for everyone. I find that even EE VM is too slow to get to the message. To be able to play my messages in any order from a text message like interface will be great.

Agreed, tbh i don't know why other networks haven't started to support it.
    Forum Member
    It appears that we are going to get it cheap compared to other foreign networks. I see Verizon charges $2.99 for it.
    For EE4G it'll be free. £1 on Orange and T-Mobile plans less than £41.
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Sounds like you can get unlimited, but with speed cap or a fixed contract with faster speeds. People can choose then.

As will all these things it's not the 99%,e it's the 1% that abus the service and hammer the downloads 24/7 that mean these things often get taken away. The 60GB+ a month club on a mobile internet connection.

They now will only be able to download 1/2 and not impact regular users as much.

We don't know the info yet, it could be once you've downloaded a certain amount that they start throttling.
    You cant hammer the downloads 24/7,they throttle you from 3.00pm untill 12.00am,so you know what to do!!
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be Interesting to see if the cap is re-introduced tomorrow by TM. I have my doubts
    Forum Member
    Well, I'll look pretty stupid and this whole thread will have been pointless.
    No preasure on me or my source then :)
  • SkyPlatinumSkyPlatinum Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'll look pretty stupid and this whole thread will have been pointless.
    No preasure on me or my source then :)

Lol. Will be going to EE4G if they are reintroduced Devon.
    Forum Member
    Deleted. Where is that bloody "delete post" button DS?