Lana Del Rey - Young & Beautiful (Official Video)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It is very strongly influenced by the first Bach section of Disney's Fantasia, visually anyway.

The song is good though.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice video wish there were more allusions to the jazz age and Gatsby but simple straight forward nice video from Lana once again :) shame this hasn't been a bigger hit radio seem intent on snubbing it :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this video.

She is going from strength to strength.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous video. As Hav-more91 says Lana is the one artist on the sound track that has just really grasped a feel for the period both musically & visually. She's really thrown herself into this and wanted to do the book and the film justice with her music. It’s an incredible song and has already become another Lana classic.

It is bloody frustrating, nay, disgusting that radio (or at least in the UK) seem to be ignoring the song completely. That may well change when the film comes out, I do hope so. But frankly I just find it to be another sad example of how messed up the record biz is these days. You look at the sh*te they do play and uuuuuh, I'm just shacking my head in my hands right now.

The track actually seems to be getting a better reception in the USA. Which almost seems ironic given Lana isn't deemed to be that popular over there yet us Brits are the ones that made her one of our bestselling artists last year. I can actually see this becoming a big sleeper hit Stateside and finally breaking her in the mainstream over there. Meanwhile UK radio bosses will dither about not sure whether the song fits with their demographic or not before missing the boat completely. To any radio people out there-ever thought if it sounds good, just play it?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Gorgeous video. As Hav-more91 says Lana is the one artist on the sound track that has just really grasped a feel for the period both musically & visually. She's really thrown herself into this and wanted to do the book and the film justice with her music. It’s an incredible song and has already become another Lana classic.

It is bloody frustrating, nay, disgusting that radio (or at least in the UK) seem to be ignoring the song completely. That may well change when the film comes out, I do hope so. But frankly I just find it to be another sad example of how messed up the record biz is these days. You look at the sh*te they do play and uuuuuh, I'm just shacking my head in my hands right now.

The track actually seems to be getting a better reception in the USA. Which almost seems ironic given Lana isn't deemed to be that popular over there yet us Brits are the ones that made her one of our bestselling artists last year. I can actually see this becoming a big sleeper hit Stateside and finally breaking her in the mainstream over there. Meanwhile UK radio bosses will dither about not sure whether the song fits with their demographic or not before missing the boat completely. To any radio people out there-ever thought if it sounds good, just play it?

Yes, the song is #15 (combined, both versions are charting) on US itunes at the moment. The US tend to be a bit slow to pick up on talent, don't they? But it seems like they have finally woken up to an incredible talent in their midst :D Totally deserved imo.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely. Lana is wonderful.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Yes, the song is #15 (combined, both versions are charting) on US itunes at the moment. The US tend to be a bit slow to pick up on talent, don't they? But it seems like they have finally woken up to an incredible talent in their midst :D Totally deserved imo.

I think on this occasion she was also the recipient of a media campaign to destroy her before she began hopefully this sees the tides turning the whole of Europe and the world at large cant be wrong can we :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hype around her is fading a bit. She's becoming a bit of a one trick pony. The whole laconic would be Hollywood starlet act is starting to seem a little tired. I hope her next album is a change of pace because she could do with a bit of a kick in the pants since this whole Americana darling thing is not breaking any new ground. I actually think the Gatsby soundtrack is going to end up being one of the more disappointing aspects of the whole movie campaign based off of this and "Back To Black" as a cover by Beyonce.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the hype around her is fading a bit. She's becoming a bit of a one trick pony. The whole laconic would be Hollywood starlet act is starting to seem a little tired. I hope her next album is a change of pace because she could do with a bit of a kick in the pants since this whole Americana darling thing is not breaking any new ground. I actually think the Gatsby soundtrack is going to end up being one of the more disappointing aspects of the whole movie campaign based off of this and "Back To Black" as a cover by Beyonce.

Well I still can't get enough of her!
    I actually think Lana is the type of artist who retains a very loyal fanbase so I don't think there is any fear of her fading back into obscurity any time soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Declan, Lana is anything but a one trick pony! Over the last year or so there have been over 100+ unreleased tracks leaked on the internet she's done in the past and they are in all kinds of different genres.

Try this superb urban style track and fan fave Serial Killer as an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFn-ZVFwP0

And when I did a search for this track it even brought up covers versions which shows how much people love these songs. Check out this girls ukulele(!) cover its surprisingly good! She's got a nice voice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRCtU26Qa4

What has happened with Lana is you've got a hardcore of online fans who know about this music and the rest of the world that sadly doesn't.

I think if anything she just needs to officially release some of this stuff.

Back to Young and Beautiful: Great to hear its still on the rise in the USA, way to go Lana! I've always said with this song over here in the UK the real exposure will be the movie, so we'll see what happens when it finally opens in the UK.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm with you. Iv'e actually known ponies with a wider repertoire of tricks. Her singing style is one small step up from a prolonged yawn - that kick in the pants is overdue:p
    Forum Member
    Apparently, the song is now #8 (combined) on US iTunes. With nil airplay. Her first big US hit is on the way...so happy for her. She may even add US dates to the tour now :D

PS What odds on Lana singing the next Bond theme?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Apparently, the song is now #8 (combined) on US iTunes. With nil airplay. Her first big US hit is on the way...so happy for her. She may even add US dates to the tour now :D

PS What odds on Lana singing the next Bond theme?

I'm still bitter Adele was there for Skyfall coz you just know that Lana would have been next in line:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God Bless America! And especially all the people that bought it, I love it when people come together and make a deserving song a hit, well done USA. Now that is seriously incredible achievement, all the more stunning she's done it without mainstream radio support. Testimony to the quality of the song. Brilliant, brilliant news, well done Lana!

Aw look all things considered I'm glad Adele got her stab at Bond, even if the song itself was a little bit...mmm, I do love her too. But if there's any female singer that could do something really special with a Bond tune, its Lana.

Maybe she could have a Pony in the video too? Just for people that apparently have spent too much time around them and know them rather too intimately? I think we all know what types of "tricks" you've been getting them to perform young man. :p
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God Bless America! And especially all the people that bought it, I love it when people come together and make a deserving song a hit, well done USA. Now that is seriously incredible achievement, all the more stunning she's done it without mainstream radio support. Testimony to the quality of the song. Brilliant, brilliant news, well done Lana!

Aw look all things considered I'm glad Adele got her stab at Bond, even if the song itself was a little bit...mmm, I do love her too. But if there's any female singer that could do something really special with a Bond tune, its Lana.

Maybe she could have a Pony in the video too? Just for people that apparently have spent too much time around them and know them rather too intimately? I think we all know what types of "tricks" you've been getting them to perform young man. :p

that would display some imagination, self-awareness and humour she hasn't so far:p

Lana doing a bond theme is a cliche waiting to happen (and i suspect it will) to place alongside her cover of Blue velvet and now the GG soundtrack. She's been walking toward self parody for a while now so she may as well complete the journey;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that would display some imagination, self-awareness and humour she hasn't so far:p

Lana doing a bond theme is a cliche waiting to happen (and i suspect it will) to place alongside her cover of Blue velvet and now the GG soundtrack. She's been walking toward self parody for a while now so she may as well complete the journey;)

Oh, I recall you I wanted to inform you about her live singing.

Well, she isn't a soul singer like Adele but she was pretty fantastic in her own right even with a really strong voice, warm tone, and she can easy sing high notes.

And here is her pony (I mean that with 4 feet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OEron4rXfk
    Forum Member
    Just read that the film also contains a stunning jazz version of 'Young & Beautiful'. I think I may be taking a trip to the cinema at some stage this month.
    Forum Member
    ....and here it is! Apparently played by the Bryan Ferry Orchestra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicNQfBXBXs&feature=player_embedded#!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    She has a new song Queen of Disaster, she's amazingly prolific
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the film, I really enjoyed it! That's speaking as someone that loves the book too.

I don't think any Del Rey fan could have any complaint here. Young and Beautiful is played through the beginning to middle section of the film. You get little strains of it every time Gatsby and Daisy see one another before full playing’s when they consummate their romance. All sort of different little blasts of the tune, the single version, the so called "orchestral version" and the jazz version Koney has linked above.

It’s really nicely done and what can you say but... wow! Baz has indeed done Lana proud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Declan, Lana is anything but a one trick pony! Over the last year or so there have been over 100+ unreleased tracks leaked on the internet she's done in the past and they are in all kinds of different genres.

Try this superb urban style track and fan fave Serial Killer as an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yFn-ZVFwP0

And when I did a search for this track it even brought up covers versions which shows how much people love these songs. Check out this girls ukulele(!) cover its surprisingly good! She's got a nice voice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WRCtU26Qa4

What has happened with Lana is you've got a hardcore of online fans who know about this music and the rest of the world that sadly doesn't.

I think if anything she just needs to officially release some of this stuff.

Back to Young and Beautiful: Great to hear its still on the rise in the USA, way to go Lana! I've always said with this song over here in the UK the real exposure will be the movie, so we'll see what happens when it finally opens in the UK.

I have everything of hers. I know what I am talking about. Nevada, May Jailer, the Myspace tracks... I have 3 different versions of On Our Way. I've basically got everything she has done. I am a fan to a degree but I am also critical given her body of work before this period of success. I won't deny she's pretty and has a distinctive voice but I think she can do more but is resting on her laurels right now.