X Factor USA:- To Allow Bands to audition on Season 3

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The big mid-season format change that "The X Factor" executive producer Simon Cowell has been hinting at in interviews is probably that the Groups category is going to allow bands that play their own instruments. The category was previously open only to singing duos and singing groups, and any musical performances they did on "The X Factor" were either done a cappella, with prerecorded backing tracks or with "The X Factor" house band.

Sources tell me that "The X Factor" U.S. will hold separate auditions (details to be announced) for bands that play their own instruments. This format change would definitely set "The X Factor" U.S. apart from "The Voice" (which only allows solo singers and duos) and "American Idol" (which only allows solo singers).

There are probably several reasons for why "The X Factor" is expanding its contestant pool to include groups that play their own instruments, besides the obvious reason to set "The X Factor" apart from the other music contests on TV. One of the other reasons is that "The X Factor" has been finding that a massive number of contestants were the lead singers of bands that play instruments, but the singers had to leave the groups behind in order to audition for "The X Factor." So "X Factor" producers could be thinking, "Why not let the whole band audition instead of the singer being forced to choose between a solo career or staying in the band?"

More musical diversity is another reason for allowing bands that play their own instruments on "The X Factor." So far, most of the finalists on "The X Factor" in the U.S. have been pop or R&B singers. Having bands that play their own instruments would increase the possibility of having more rock or country groups make it to the finals. Could "The X Factor" find the next Maroon 5, Green Day, Rascal Flatts or Lady Antebellum? We'll have to wait and see.

Source:- http://www.examiner.com/article/the-x-factor-u-s-could-have-bands-with-instruments-panda-ross-new-orleans

Thoughts ??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Great news! I think there are certainly contestants that have been on the show that were more suited to being in a band than as a soloist. Also I would say that this is where the rock artists would be more likely to come into the show as well which generally these sort of shows don't really go for, giving it a tad more diversity. My only slight concern is that in some ways it should almost be its own catagory as you have groups and bands each fighting for places in the groups catagory. Great news on a weak group year but otherwise a little unfair. Adding another judge for the catagory would be overboard though so I suppose overall its good news! Im happy.
  • felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    I remember julia bullock from last season, she had a nice voice, but it really was a band voice.. she actually left the band in order to audition
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should come tp the uk
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should come tp the uk

it would be a nice addition 4 sure
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is definitely a worthwhile addition. I think so many talented people will have been put off auditioning for this type of show in the past if their band couldn't go with them.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any actual confirmation of this? The Examiner, and that writer in particular, isn't a great source for this kind of thing.