Options

Ghostbusters 3 confirmed with all female leads

Comments

• Options
    Laura1981Laura1981 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    My issue with this film was never that it has an all female cast, but more that I fear it will a more slapstick, beat you across the head with humour, kind of a film, rather than the more witty humour of the original.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem with it is that it contains Melissa McCarthy, the most unfunniest "comedienne" I've ever had the misfortune to watch. I would have watched the 3rd GB movie out of interest with an all female case, even though I don't think it's a great idea, but with her involved, it's a no straight away.

Yes, I know plenty of people seem to love her but I genuinely can't abide her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    How about a remake of Charlie's Angels with an all-male cast?
    Charlie's Hebdos

:D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thor is the new Annie Potts

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/06/chris-thor-hemsworth-is-the-new-ghostbusters-receptionist/

Will he shout the iconic line in the style of Thor though ?
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Is McCarthy playing Slimer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is interesting - i guess the idea was to probably keep it a secret.
    Bill Murray has been confirmed to star in the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot after being spotted heading to the set earlier today.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a662575/bill-murray-confirmed-to-star-in-upcoming-ghostbusters-reboot.html#~pkWhzypuKvxLte

It's surprising in a way as well considering he was always said to be the one who held up a potential third film. With Dan Aykroyd already confirmed as a guest star, they're really going for the 'passing the torch' idea I suppose.

I'm still not keen on the film due to Melissa McCarthy, but Murray's appearance might swing it.
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the films title actually been confirmed as being "Ghostbusters 3"?

Because I'm not happy with that. I'm trying my hardest not to judge this until I've seen it, but I can't help feeling that this will taint the series.

I don't mind an all female team, especially if it's a reboot, but I feel that it's been too long since GBII for anyone to truly care. Who is it aimed at? Fans of the original? From the majority of comments I've read online those people don't want it.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is interesting - i guess the idea was to probably keep it a secret.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a662575/bill-murray-confirmed-to-star-in-upcoming-ghostbusters-reboot.html#~pkWhzypuKvxLte

It's surprising in a way as well considering he was always said to be the one who held up a potential third film. With Dan Aykroyd already confirmed as a guest star, they're really going for the 'passing the torch' idea I suppose.

I'm still not keen on the film due to Melissa McCarthy, but Murray's appearance might swing it.

Funnily enough this doesn't surprise me at all. This is a much more offbeat approach to a new GB movie, rather than a generic retread. Don't get me wrong GB II is a very fun film, but it's a by the numbers cash in designed to shift merchandise while masquerading as the reunion of some memorable characters.

Murray is no Eddie Murphy. He doesn't purely feed off his original comedy act by phoning it in on a never ending stream of commercial projects. It was going to take thinking outside the box and doing something different to get him on board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Murray is no Eddie Murphy. He doesn't purely feed off his original comedy act by phoning it in on a never ending stream of commercial projects. It was going to take thinking outside the box and doing something different to get him on board.

If you take this rumour as fact then it could well be exactly as you've surmised as I can imagine someone like Murray would probably see the appeal in appearing as someone completely different. Although if it is indeed true, where does this leave Dan Aykroyd's character as well?. Will he also be playing an entirely different role ?
    Instead, Murray will reportedly have an extended cameo as a supernatural skeptic called Martin Heiss in a scene where he tries to debunk the female Ghostbusters team.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a662769/it-looks-like-bill-murrays-character-in-the-ghostbusters-reboot-is-not-dr-peter-venkman.html#~pl56l2drKXqtlC

With Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones as two of the leads and now Murray seemingly playing an entirely different character, it's like the movie is trying to tell me not to go and see it :D
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    With Melissa McCarthy and Leslie Jones as two of the leads and now Murray seemingly playing an entirely different character, it's like the movie is trying to tell me not to go and see it :D

You never know. I was dragged kicking and screaming to 21 Jump street. I had no interest in seeing a film with Channing Tatum as the lead. I was really resisting but ended up going after I was bribed by my brother in law. Lo and behold... it was an enjoyable film and I actually liked Tatum in something for the first time ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know. I was dragged kicking and screaming to 21 Jump street. I had no interest in seeing a film with Channing Tatum as the lead. I was really resisting but ended up going after I was bribed by my brother in law. Lo and behold... it was an enjoyable film and I actually liked Tatum in something for the first time ever.

Yeah there's certainly that, but I think for me, Ghostbusters was such an iconic part of my childhood, I'm not so sure i could see it rebooted to this extent.

I actually saw it 3 times in my local cinema when it first came out which was unprecedented for me at the time - although I did eventually see Home Alone four times, to be fair :)

I think if they'd have chosen two different leads instead of Leslie Jones and Melissa McCarthy then I might have been slightly more on board though.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    Has the films title actually been confirmed as being "Ghostbusters 3"?

Because I'm not happy with that. I'm trying my hardest not to judge this until I've seen it, but I can't help feeling that this will taint the series.

I don't mind an all female team, especially if it's a reboot, but I feel that it's been too long since GBII for anyone to truly care. Who is it aimed at? Fans of the original? From the majority of comments I've read online those people don't want it.

It's a reboot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now they've also got Ernie Hudson ..

Ernie Hudson will star in Paul Feig's upcoming Ghostbusters reboot

So three out of the original four are now appearing and they're almost certainly all going to feature in new roles.

Just can't quite wrap my head around it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just glad it's not being called Ghostbusters 3.

Probably will go and see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now Annie Potts as well ..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a669588/ghostbusters-brings-back-annie-potts-for-a-cameo-in-paul-feigs-reboot.html#~poVkXe4kowMh77

What price on a secret, uncredited cameo from Signourney Weaver or a ghostly re-creation of Harold Ramis ?
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I hate reboots, remakes and alike, I'm actually quite optimistic for this one after seeing 'Spy'. The other obvious option would have been the 21 jump street team..
  • Options
    Thomas CrewesThomas Crewes Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What price on a secret, uncredited cameo from Signourney Weaver or a ghostly re-creation of Harold Ramis ?
    I think if they snag a Sigourney cameo they will shout it from the rooftops just like all the others so far, in the hopes of luring more poor people into seeing this turd. I don't think even they would be tasteless enough to shoe-horn in some Ramis ghost.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if they snag a Sigourney cameo they will shout it from the rooftops just like all the others so far, in the hopes of luring more poor people into seeing this turd. I don't think even they would be tasteless enough to shoe-horn in some Ramis ghost.

so even though, it does not open till next summer

you have already seen it

quite impressive Meg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's any good, I'll gladly eat my words. And my hat, for that matter.

But it won't be. Nothing else the people involved have made was worthwhile, why should I expect this to be?
  • Options
    ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Looking a still of the new Ghostbusters team it looks awful and outdated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it won't be. Nothing else the people involved have made was worthwhile, why should I expect this to be?

Seriously. Bridesmaids wasn't worthwhile?
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spy was good and its the same director, if that is anything to go by.
    Dont know why people are getting all p!ssy about this film..we already had a sequel to Ghostbusters that sullied the original that featured ALL the original cast, writers and director, it was absolute crap..no way will the new one be worse than that.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they have so many of the original cast appearing (albeit in cameo roles) then why why why didn't they have them appear as the original characters and actually make this a passing of the torch story between them and the new female team?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even a teensy little bit.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Depends on your taste.
    Personally, I was bored to tears. If it wasn't a date I'd have left the cinema.
    Well, I wouldn't have gone to see it.
    mialicious wrote: »
    Spy was good and its the same director, if that is anything to go by.
    Dont know why people are getting all p!ssy about this film..we already had a sequel to Ghostbusters that sullied the original that featured ALL the original cast, writers and director, it was absolute crap..no way will the new one be worse than that.

First film worked, second didn't. It should have stayed a standalone film.
    This has one-note Melissa McCarthy. Can't see it being better than 2.