ESPN America (Part 2)

Comments

• alwaysabearalwaysabear Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    City2000 wrote: »
    Well, i'm gutted about the NHL being on Premier sports. To sign a deal with TV station thats not even available on Virgin and without HD coverage is quite frankly ridiculous.

I do have GCL though which is superb bar not getting to see the full HNIC intermissions , I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    I have to agree looks like the only way to watch will be by GCL.
    This is a massive backwards step by the NHL:(:mad:
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The picture for Nascar is decent. Not quite HD but not that far off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Delenn wrote: »
    The picture for Nascar is decent. Not quite HD but not that far off.

that on premier sports???????
  • DelennDelenn Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crank53 wrote: »
    that on premier sports???????

Yep. Easily as good as ESPNA SD
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Premier Sports SKY Channel 433 isn't available in Northern Ireland and Setanta Sports is blacked out. Where do we in Northern Ireland watch Hockey??
    Forum Member
    Delenn wrote: »
    Yep. Easily as good as ESPNA SD

thanks for that might give them a try for a month!!!!!!after all at least its hockey
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LDT wrote: »
    Premier Sports SKY Channel 433 isn't available in Northern Ireland and Setanta Sports is blacked out. Where do we in Northern Ireland watch Hockey??

The Odyssey ?

Sorry, couldn't resist it :)
  • citytillidiecitytillidie Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    draig goch wrote: »
    The Odyssey ?

Sorry, couldn't resist it :)

Not everyone is from Belfast :p
  • jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The advantages of GCL for me far outweigh the disadvantages, but here goes:

Depending on the broadcaster, sometimes you don't get any pre-game or between-period coverage at all.
    It's replaced by a static caption and a piece of music which gets really annoying after 10 seconds, never mind a whole season.

Strangely enough, you can usually, however, switch to the other team's local broadcast which might be showing everything...analysis, goals from other games, commercials etc.

Sadly, this Saturday HNIC was replaced by the first option.
    The archived game doesn't have it either.

I'm still a huge fan of GCL though, despite what I've just said I still think it's awesome :D

The stats are mind-boggling, you can join a game live or play it from the start, there are replays of what you might have missed, a live chat room, the list goes on...
    Ta for that, tempting- especially the ability to watch on PS3, iPhone and laptop- if I was a bigger fan I think I'd subscribe.

If they had the HNIC intermissions that'd probably push me into getting it, if I'm paying that much I want Coach's Corner!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, if you're that desperate for a bunch of Grapes:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports

And citytillidie, not every Devils fan is from Cardiff either ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, if you're that desperate for a bunch of Grapes:

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports
    Ta ;) Its as much about it enjoying it as part of the programme when watching :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeffers, you must be the first person ever to complain about losing their Cherry :D
  • citytillidiecitytillidie Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    There is a CBC hockey app for the iPhone
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the app heads up, which I just downloaded. Caught up with the Coach v Shannahan row, seems as though this years NHL, players are wary of hitting due to the draconian measures Shannahan metered out over pre season. The app is very handy, chance to buy HNIC games when on CBC at £1.99 per game and scores, reports and a live video button for weekends by the looks of it. Oh well, more early season baseball next year then, which I'll be happy with, in a selfish way but commisserations to all NHL fans with ESPNA subs, really suprised that Premier got it and they won't give anywhere near the extra coverage ESPN would. Sad day for NHLheads.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3am and the long 2 1/2 hour rain delayed ALCS Baseball Play Off is still ongoing with the NLCS Play Off in the top of the 5th with only "Live Look Ins" so far. It's a shame they couldn't switch the latter to ESPN in these kind of situations. I know Live Sport prevented them doing so the other night, but tonight is was obvious the overlap would be long and all ESPN was airing was Poker at 1am. Why can't they do it?
    Forum Member
    something i dont think has been mentioned yet prehaps espn are saving the money to buy premiership rights just a thought ,two more months until the nfl is over on monday nights and that will be me done bye bye espn and thanks for nothing nhl r.i.p
  • SmidsterSmidster Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I am very upset about this...Being a NHL nut but not being able to watch it (I won't consider buying a channel that I would prefer out of business)

Think it shows the disdain that the ESPN top brass show for ESPN America. When the World Series ends they have got serious content issues
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Smidster wrote: »
    I am very upset about this...Being a NHL nut but not being able to watch it (I won't consider buying a channel that I would prefer out of business)

Think it shows the disdain that the ESPN top brass show for ESPN America. When the World Series ends they have got serious content issues

Remember this is an issue over the fact that the NHL wants to sell rights by country and therefore ESPNA were already stuck in a hard place, They are however still in discussions over the feed 2 rights for the NHL in Europe which I reckon they will get. If that is the case then yet again Scandinavia is the monkey on the UK's back.

Come mid February there will be a 6 week period where there is only College Basketball programming on plus all other discussion shows. Baseball is back in March.

They will show plenty of live College BBall and College Football through mid January which is fine with me and College Gameday. College Fball then stops in mid January.

You never know they may get some other rights or change ESPNA into ESPNA UK which will make it easier for them to get the NHL rights back next year, but that will take time. They just signed a 5 year deal for more MLB so ESPNA is here to stay.

In Europe they have NFL (and probably NHL) so t=no issues there.

Premier Sports is awful and I will not subscribe
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crank53 wrote: »
    something i dont think has been mentioned yet prehaps espn are saving the money to buy premiership rights just a thought ,two more months until the nfl is over on monday nights and that will be me done bye bye espn and thanks for nothing nhl r.i.p
    I doubt it- the money needed for NHL rights would be tiny compared to a Premier League package. Which is what makes me think there are other reasons behind it. It maybe that ESPN UK weren't interested enough in it for their channel and it wasn't possible to agree a deal including ESPN America. In which case ESPN UK have made a mistake because there will be quite a few people - like myself - who they won't get any money from now until at least April.

On the Scandinavian issue- wouldn't the Viasat coverage be in Swedish and Norweigan? Might have been possible to keep english language rights?
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Can you get GCL in the UK. Not clear on the website at all.

Also how do you stop the auto renewal?

Deciding if its worth the money or to just get the highlights on my iphone.
  • City2000City2000 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Can you get GCL in the UK. Not clear on the website at all.

Also how do you stop the auto renewal?

Deciding if its worth the money or to just get the highlights on my iphone.

Yes, you can get GCL in the UK. What isn't clear is whether or not that will continue to be the case, I know GCL is no longer available to new subscribers in Scandanavia since they signed a deal with Viasat. The NHL has been useless in communicating with it's European fans while these rights discussions have been going on.

To stop the auto renewal you have to contact the NHL (they have an international phone number, not sure whether you can cancel it via email) before early October 2012. You can cancel after i'm sure for a while but early October is when people have been reporting payment being taken.

Why they don't include an option when signing up to cancel an auto renewal like MLB.tv do is beyond me.

Whether it is worth it or not for you I don't know but it's been worth it or me. Bear in mind if you do get GCL you can get live games through the iphone and PS3 at no extra cost.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NitaJez wrote: »
    Remember this is an issue over the fact that the NHL wants to sell rights by country and therefore ESPNA were already stuck in a hard place, They are however still in discussions over the feed 2 rights for the NHL in Europe which I reckon they will get. If that is the case then yet again Scandinavia is the monkey on the UK's back.

Come mid February there will be a 6 week period where there is only College Basketball programming on plus all other discussion shows. Baseball is back in March.

They will show plenty of live College BBall and College Football through mid January which is fine with me and College Gameday. College Fball then stops in mid January.

You never know they may get some other rights or change ESPNA into ESPNA UK which will make it easier for them to get the NHL rights back next year, but that will take time. They just signed a 5 year deal for more MLB so ESPNA is here to stay.

Not having a go or anything but how do you know premier sports is awful if you dont subscribe. I joined for the nascar and was worried but picture is fine and the channel listen to their viewers the same as setanta did back in the day. I think thats why premier will be another setanta in the fact that they get sports no one else wants so in that way its good for them i guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    The picture quality of GCL through the PS3 is very good when it works, not as good as HD through ESPN but it is not far away at all. It's better than the top level stream on the PC and that is pretty good. I have had issues though including sound being behind/ahead the action, picture breakup, stuttering etc.

I would still recommend it.

Can you watch on-demand on the PS3 or is it only Live?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    NitaJez wrote: »

That is exactly what I think/ thought. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN cut their losses and scrap feed 1, intergrate MLB into ESPN UK and remove ESPNA from the UK.

ESPNA will continue in France, Germany etc with ironically NHL included :cry:
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Yes, you can get GCL in the UK. What isn't clear is whether or not that will continue to be the case, I know GCL is no longer available to new subscribers in Scandanavia since they signed a deal with Viasat. The NHL has been useless in communicating with it's European fans while these rights discussions have been going on.

To stop the auto renewal you have to contact the NHL (they have an international phone number, not sure whether you can cancel it via email) before early October 2012. You can cancel after i'm sure for a while but early October is when people have been reporting payment being taken.

Why they don't include an option when signing up to cancel an auto renewal like MLB.tv do is beyond me.

Whether it is worth it or not for you I don't know but it's been worth it or me. Bear in mind if you do get GCL you can get live games through the iphone and PS3 at no extra cost.

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Two more things. Can you set it so the score is not shown? Very important to be able to do that.

What about the playoffs? Is that more money?

Watching full games the next evening is fine as most NHL games are over night in the uk.