Options

Kate Bush - Before The Dawn

Comments

• Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    No it's not - if an artist decides not to perform live that's down to them, Bowie hasn't toured since 2003 released his first album for a decade in March which went straight to No 1. Although I would love to see him tour again I'm happy as long as he keeps on releasing music. Same with Kate, I didn't try to tickets for these gigs as I had seen her live in 79 but since then I've bought her albums and listened to her music on a regular basis as long as she keeps on making great music the touring doesn't matter

Yes; can't be bothered with 'fans' who say things along the lines of "so-and-so owes us...". As Neil Gaiman might have said, "Kate Bush is not your bitch".
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    how many of those bands have only done one tour for a period of about 6 weeks in one single country, and never toured again?

no-one seems to be suggesting she only plays hits, but that she plays a few more hits, considering most people seeing her have probably never seen her live before, as the last time she toured was before some of them were even born

I don't know what that last bit means, but the hardcore fans are generally a minority and it's the popularity amongst fairweather fans that generally accounts for most sales that keep an artists output alive

rehash? people are just asking that she plays some of her older and most well known tracks

so from the 10 albums, she doesn't play anything from the first 4. she's playing material that's decades old, so what's the difference between material from the first 4 and the 5th to 8th albums?

I've heard both sides of the story, you could perhaps call it the whole story, and the hardcore fans love it, but others have hated it as they didn't get to hear the songs they were looking forward to hearing after buying her music for decades.

whilst kate may have had plans of what to play and what not to play, this wasn't communicated to anyone before the tickets went onsale. and as the first tour in 35 years there would be a reasonable expectation from fans to hear her play her most well known material

she played that song in the rehearsal, so I would imagine she will play it. there are a number of other songs she didn't play that I would have preferred over WH, such as the man with the child in his eyes and this womans work

that's common for many hardcore fans of artists, but those type of people usually only account for a small percentage of punters at a gig

but plant had toured considerably with led zep across the world, giving most of his biggest fans an opportunity to see zep live playing those songs within the previous decade. however with kate a large percentage of her fanbase has never seen her, and she's omitting a number of popular songs she's never played live as she hadn't toured since 79

true. but the reason so many people pay to see them live in concert is because they want to hear the most well known songs. it's part of their job to play live. they get good and bad bits like most jobs, but their good bits are generally much better than most people, as is the pay. and even the bad bits are usually better than anyones good bits, if the bad bits are playing hit singles to people who love them. it's hard to sympathise with someone making money from playing songs they don't like to people who love them

it's fine to play lots of new music if you play live regularly, but if it's your first time in decades then it's to be expected that fans will want to hear the hits they've never heard live before. after giving people that, then go on and do something different instead. she surely can't be sick of playing babushka live, as when was the last time she played it to an audience?

I don't understand why some people think Kate owes them certain songs or how they feel they should dictate what she plays. If you are a fan, you will know more than the basic singles from the early albums. As I said, there are 10 albums and Kate decided on telling a story that used two halves of two albums. Other songs didn't fit into the equation. Some songs will be out of her range without bringing them down slightly.

I can imagine Kate probably tries to distance herself from WH because she wants to be known for the rest of her work too, or she wants people to at least hear it live. She has performed WH live several times. There will always be fans that want certain songs played but it's not possible. It's not a greatest hits tour and she never proclaimed it as such.

I wasn't born when she toured in 79 but I am more than happy to see the show with the setlist that's been chosen. Kate's most recognised album is HOL. My favourite albums are HOL and Aerial. Sure I would love songs from The Dreaming or Never Forever but I am not going to moan or dwell on what is not played, but on what IS played and enjoy myself
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I guess almost everyone else who is famous from the 70's and 80's has got it completely wrong by playing "the hits" + a few other odds and ends and that new track that the general public aren't really interested in.
    It's the casual fans that keep proper bigger tours going,the hardcore fan bases for these artists have drastically shrunken.
    If Kate Bush is doing this because she is a little short of money,which is entirely possible,then someone in her organisation needs to be brave enough to tell her to wake up to the commercial possibilities,rather than pussy foot around her "artistic" sensibilities.
    It's called show business, and the business part can never be sustained to its potential by playing a show mostly made up of album tracks from less successful albums
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    I guess almost everyone else who is famous from the 70's and 80's has got it completely wrong by playing "the hits" + a few other odds and ends and that new track that the general public aren't really interested in.
    It's the casual fans that keep proper bigger tours going,the hardcore fan bases for these artists have drastically shrunken.
    If Kate Bush is doing this because she is a little short of money,which is entirely possible,then someone in her organisation needs to be brave enough to tell her to wake up to the commercial possibilities,rather than pussy foot around her "artistic" sensibilities.
    It's called show business, and the business part can never be sustained to its potential by playing a show mostly made up of album tracks from less successful albums

Kate has never needed to tour and has a fortune of around £30 million. She does what she wants and it was her son that got her to return to the stage.
    Kate has never been about show business and as a fan you would be aware of that. or even a casual listener would know that. It's quite widely known she has always kept away from the celebrity side of things.
    35 years of making music and she's still here.

Also this tour was being planned a year before she announced it.
    Kate has always been artistic and theatrical and I don't think she really has to worry about money. I mean she sold out all 22 dates. That'll be a pretty penny. Plus all her albums are climbing up the charts. Most set to get in the top40 at the weekend.
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you really dont know Kate or her fans.
  • Options
    yhtrownuyhtrownu Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bedlyblue wrote: »
    Has anyone been without photo id, my dad is going next month but doesn't have photo id , but has bank cards etc, will these suffice?
    Tried to get through to ticketmaster but this is nigh on impossible.

I had photo id and credit card, but was not asked to show either. I arrived at 7:15pm for the 7:45pm performance. I am told that people at the front of the queue were checked for photo ids before the queue started moving, but once it was moving, noone else got checked. So coming later, rather than earlier, makes it more likely you won't be checked. If you think about it, by the time it's thirty minutes before the performance, it's not practical to check people, because it's a 3 hour show, and the guards would be delaying the show faffing around looking for ids. All this said, I'm condident security would be happy with a bank card. If you have a bank card, it proves you're not a tout, and that you haven't bought from a tout. :)

What you are doing there is comparing an artistic pioneer with journey(wo)men.

Great artists like Picasso came up with new styles of painting, then immediately changed to something else when other artists jumped on the bandwagon. A greatest hits show is a tired and forgettable concept, wallowing in wish-fulfillment and nostalgia. It's like eating a Big Mac at Maccers, very satisfying for the evening, but forgotten once consumed.

Building her show around two themed half-album suites makes for a phenomenal and meaningful theatrical experience. This is much more than an average music show. It is an artistic vision of what music shows could be if they integrated theatre and film and poetry, passion and intent. If this is about money, it's only about pouring the money right back into this incredible show to make it as memorable, surprising and spectacular as possible.

Noone could tell Picasso how to paint, noone could tell Samuel Beckett how to write a play, noone could tell James Joyce how to write a book, and noone can tell Kate Bush how to put on a show. This show will be remembered by those who see it, long after other shows have been forgotten. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yhtrownu wrote: »
    I had photo id and credit card, but was not asked to show either. I arrived at 7:15pm for the 7:45pm performance. I am told that people at the front of the queue were checked for photo ids before the queue started moving, but once it was moving, noone else got checked. So coming later, rather than earlier, makes it more likely you won't be checked. If you think about it, by the time it's thirty minutes before the performance, it's not practical to check people, because it's a 3 hour show, and the guards would be delaying the show faffing around looking for ids. All this said, I'm condident security would be happy with a bank card. If you have a bank card, it proves you're not a tout, and that you haven't bought from a tout. :)

Great artists like Picasso came up with new styles of painting, then immediately changed to something else when other artists jumped on the bandwagon. A greatest hits show is a tired and forgettable concept, wallowing in wish-fulfillment and nostalgia. It's like eating a Big Mac at Maccers, very satisfying for the evening, but forgotten once consumed.

Building her show around two themed half-album suites makes for a phenomenal and meaningful theatrical experience. This is much more than an average music show. It is an artistic vision of what music shows could be if they integrated theatre and film and poetry, passion and intent. If this is about money, it's only about pouring the money right back into this incredible show to make it as memorable, surprising and spectacular as possible.

Noone could tell Picasso how to paint, noone could tell Samuel Beckett how to write a play, noone could tell James Joyce how to write a book, and noone can tell Kate Bush how to put on a show. This show will be remembered by those who see it, long after other shows have been forgotten. :)

For gawd sakes,she's a bloody washed up pop singer that was bit quirky - and I say that as someone who really liked her,when she was relevant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    Kate has never needed to tour and has a fortune of around £30 million. She does what she wants and it was her son that got her to return to the stage.
    Kate has never been about show business and as a fan you would be aware of that. or even a casual listener would know that. It's quite widely known she has always kept away from the celebrity side of things.
    35 years of making music and she's still here.

Also this tour was being planned a year before she announced it.
    Kate has always been artistic and theatrical and I don't think she really has to worry about money. I mean she sold out all 22 dates. That'll be a pretty penny. Plus all her albums are climbing up the charts. Most set to get in the top40 at the weekend.

Ok,lets play devils advocate,if the money was drying up,and she suddenly needs a cash injection after some lean years.
    Do you think it would be "I'm a bit skint,so I need to pay some big bills"
    or would it be " My son influenced me,when I had no thoughts about playing live ever again"
    Where was this "love of performing" in a live setting for the last 35 years?

Celebrities are not supreme beings from a higher conciousness,that's just the image,when it suits. They are human being with bigger bills to pay and media manipulators.
    If they are also critically acclaimed then the mystique is promoted as though it is the absolute truth.
  • Options
    bedlybluebedlyblue Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    yhtrownu wrote: »

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    I don't understand why some people think Kate owes them certain songs or how they feel they should dictate what she plays. If you are a fan, you will know more than the basic singles from the early albums. As I said, there are 10 albums and Kate decided on telling a story that used two halves of two albums. Other songs didn't fit into the equation. Some songs will be out of her range without bringing them down slightly.

I can imagine Kate probably tries to distance herself from WH because she wants to be known for the rest of her work too, or she wants people to at least hear it live. She has performed WH live several times. There will always be fans that want certain songs played but it's not possible. It's not a greatest hits tour and she never proclaimed it as such.

I wasn't born when she toured in 79 but I am more than happy to see the show with the setlist that's been chosen. Kate's most recognised album is HOL. My favourite albums are HOL and Aerial. Sure I would love songs from The Dreaming or Never Forever but I am not going to moan or dwell on what is not played, but on what IS played and enjoy myself
    I'm actually amazed that she played songs from Hounds of Love .. I really thought, if anything, that she would only play songs from Ariel and 50 Words for Snow .. I wouldn't have been surprised if she had presented something totally new to the audience. It was highly unlikely that she would play anything from the first four albums .. she has gone on record saying that she dislikes most of that stuff now and to do it just to please fans is not Kate's way. It wouldn't have worked anyway .. best to remember them as was.

I think .. if I had known she would play the Ninth Wave in its entirety .. I might have been willing to part with a much larger sum on ticket day. Feasibly I could have gone to that 1979 concert .. I now feel I've missed out twice :( Bother!! :blush:
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    I'm actually amazed that she played songs from Hounds of Love .. I really thought, if anything, that she would only play songs from Ariel and 50 Words for Snow .. I wouldn't have been surprised if she had presented something totally new to the audience. It was highly unlikely that she would play anything from the first four albums .. she has gone on record saying that she dislikes most of that stuff now and to do it just to please fans is not Kate's way. It wouldn't have worked anyway .. best to remember them as was.

I think .. if I had known she would play the Ninth Wave in its entirety .. I might have been willing to part with a much larger sum on ticket day. Feasibly I could have gone to that 1979 concert .. I now feel I've missed out twice :( Bother!! :blush:

Start saving now for her next batch of shows in 2049 {35years time} same venue tickets no doubt will be higher.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »
    It was highly unlikely that she would play anything from the first four albums .. she has gone on record saying that she dislikes most of that stuff now and to do it just to please fans is not Kate's way.

Just to "please the fans" is not Kate's way.. How cool is that (NOT) !!!

It's a bit like that comment Steve Coogan made in the recent BBC Kate documentary - Listening to Kate Bush makes people think they are more intelligent than they actually are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to "please the fans" is not Kate's way.. How cool is that (NOT) !!!

It's a bit like that comment Steve Coogan made in the recent BBC Kate documentary - Listening to Kate Bush makes people think they are more intelligent than they actually are.
    I didn't mean that she actively doesn't want to please fans only that she wouldn't compromise herself to do so.
    How cool is it to come to this thread just to sl*g her off?
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just to say its not a fact that if you arrive later, you will not get checked for ID. we were later and it was very busy. we and everyone around us were checked. my daughter as lead booker had photo ID.
    we did get a reminder email about this.
    its possible some security staff may not check everyone, but when we were there it was getting checked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start saving now for her next batch of shows in 2049 {35years time} same venue tickets no doubt will be higher.;-)
    :D Be interested to see what 91 year old Kate comes up with :D
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Withering Hips
    Stairlift Up That Hill
    And Dream of Mutton
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Kate Bush at all?

As much as I deem necessary.

Well lets put it another way, I doubt I would know as much as anyone creating an account in August 2014 with the username "Wuthering".
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Bowie getting loads of grief for one of his tours when he didn't play his "greatest hits"

I remember Springsteen's "Devils And Dust" tour being clearly billed as "a solo acoustic show", yet people were still bitching as to why the E Street Band weren't there!
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    On the (continuing) subject of this recording topic, I think the artist's wishes should be respected on a gig-by-gig basis. Some artists don't mind it, others, like Kate, want to interact with their audience rather than playing for the benefit of a load of recording devices.

Think of the artist on the stage. What is he or she performing for... Some are putting their heart and soul into their performance and what happens when a song ends...? The audience is looking down at their mobile to see what they've just recorded. The artist feels that there is no connection between them.

Kate is not just a musician. She's not just a dummy up on the stage churning out hits by rote in an "OK, let's get this done and over with" sort of way. She's an artist who has come out of a very long touring hiatus. Why has she done that..? I think it's because she believes she still has something to offer, and perhaps even that she feels she owes something to the fans who have "kept the faith" for all these years.

She wants us to ENJOY what she's doing, and that's only possible if there is a connection between her and the people in the audience.

Also, she's a very sensitive, artistic woman and wants to be judged on her performance, not just be a performing monkey for YouTube addicts. How can anybody objectively judge a performance..... especially one as complex and detailed as hers..... when they're not really watching it, but putting their focus into capturing snippets for social media...?

And hell.... what is all this social media claptrap all about, really..? Is it a sort of "One Upmanship"..? A sort of "Hey, everybody, look at me. I was there, you know. Aintcha just soooooooooooo jealous..?"

I'm off to work this morning and I'll be taking my programme in for anybody who's interested to have a look. If anybody asks what it was like, I'll tell them. Most likely though, the only comments I'll get will be along the lines of "Oh, so you've decided to grace us with your presence today, then?" In a jokey sort of way, of course.

I went on Tuesday because I wanted to see Kate in all her wonderful glory, perform her songs FOR ME. In that I was greatly rewarded. The memories I have of it are special and will be stored along with the other great performers in my life. I saw Queen at the same theatre in 1977 and you don't forget a showman like Freddie Mercury. The memories are as fresh and strong now as they were back then.

That's what artists want. They want to be remembered by people, not reduced to grainy, shaky clips on a website in amongst the jumble of umpteen million other such clips.

I'll remember you, Kate. I'll remember the moment of pleasure you gave me on Tuesday night. Always.

And you know what, people...... I think she'd be happy with that.

This is a really beautiful post.

Glad you had such a great time, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The setlist is a disgrace for someone who hasn't played live for decades.
    Do the greatest hits thing first,then do the arty farty non selling stuff on a 2nd more intimate tour.

I really have to wonder if people like you are "fans" at all, because most fans I know are so happy Kate is playing live again at all we really don't mind what she does. Also, The Ninth Wave and A Sky of Honey are very well respected and beloved by the dare I suggest it "real" fans of Kate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Bowie getting loads of grief for one of his tours when he didn't play his "greatest hits"

I find it a very strange mentality, and so MeMeMe.

Aren't tours generally a way of promoting the artist and often their latest material? The idea that an artist must perform their greatest hits on every tour is one I have never understood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    As much as I deem necessary.

Well lets put it another way, I doubt I would know as much as anyone creating an account in August 2014 with the username "Wuthering".

How mature of you to have a personal dig there, especially since naming yourself after something you like on a site such as this one is hardly unusal. Anyway, anyone who honestly EXPECTED (not wished, but expected) her to sing the likes of Wuthering Heights and anything else pre Hounds of Love clearly doesn't know enough about Kate at all or they would not be so bitter about the content of these concerts.

The levels of entitlement from some of you in this thread is just sad. I have a feeling that even if she'd performed her hits you'd still find a reason to be unhappy...seems to be the way many people are now. It's that whole MeMeMe thing again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    How mature of you to have a personal dig there, especially since naming yourself after something you like on a site such as this one is hardly unusal. Anyway, anyone who honestly EXPECTED (not wished, but expected) her to sing the likes of Wuthering Heights and anything else pre Hounds of Love clearly doesn't know enough about Kate at all or they would not be so bitter about the content of these concerts.

The levels of entitlement from some of you in this thread is just sad. I have a feeling that even if she'd performed her hits you'd still find a reason to be unhappy...seems to be the way many people are now. It's that whole MeMeMe thing again.

I wondered when I get my dressing down. Peoples responses are either heaven or hell to you aren't they?

I actually said on my original post "apologies to true fans" and that was meant for people like you. I don't expect to be hounded as to my knowledge of Kate's recording history. The fact is Kate is best known(generally) for her earlier works however she may now view them and the idea of three hours without three of her five top ten hits(apparently), as a casual fan would have been pretty disappointing. Its just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I wondered when I get my dressing down. Peoples responses are either heaven or hell to you aren't they?

I actually said on my original post "apologies to true fans" and that was meant for people like you. I don't expect to be hounded as to my knowledge of Kate's recording history. The fact is Kate is best known(generally) for her earlier works however she may now view them and the idea of three hours without three of her five top ten hits(apparently), as a casual fan would have been pretty disappointing. Its just my opinion.

It's not a dressing down, it's sheer bewilderment at the fact that people think they are being hard done by when an artist won't dance to their tune.

Maybe I got a bit too heated and for that I apologise, I just hate the idea that these concerts are getting picky pains (not aimed at any one person in particular) being entitled when they are, in my opinion, a really special gift to Kate's fans, the ones who really care about her music beyond just owning a copy of The Whole Story.

I just don't think these concerts were ever aimed at the casual fan and while I sympathise with you when it comes to general disappointment, some of the attitude in this thread and elsewhere is too much.