Will Britney make a comeback?

SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
Forum Member
Everyone keeps asking whether Madonna or Kylie will ever make a big comeback but what about Britney? Femme Fatale underperformed (it has been certified platinum in the U.S. because of shipments), Britney Jean bombed, Work Bitch underperformed, and Pretty Girls flopped. Her last solo top five hit in the U.K. was seven years ago. She seems to be doing ok in Las Vegas, but she hasn't sold out a leg since Feb 2014. Will she make a comeback or has her career run its course? Unlike Madonna and Kylie, Britney hasn't been in the business 20 years and is still in her early 30s. Is there time? I hope she does, I have a soft spot for her.

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well she's working on album 9 at the moment and she's also going to be doing a bit of acting, but I can't remember the name of the show. Time will tell I guess. It's very hard to say at the moment if she will make a comeback or not. Pretty Girls flopped because it really is not that good a song. It's a bit too childish and girly for Britney and if it's supposed to be the lead single for album 9 then it's a very weak one. I consider it to be one of her worst singles. Work Bitch didn't flop, it was No 7 in the UK and I know loads of people who know the song or at least the phrase. It has had some impact. Her cover of Tom's Diner seems to be a hit with the fans so I'm wondering if that'll be a single at some point.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's too old and/or longevous to have any more hits on the UK 'singles' chart.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's too old and/or longevous to have any more hits on the UK 'singles' chart.

Too old?! Please.. If she puts effort into it, it can happen!
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone care about Britney Spears outside of her existing fan base at this point? She's just a pop star from years ago to most people I would suspect. All of her biggest hits are years behind her and she's seen as kinda late 90s/early 2000s nostalgia. She's a manufactured pop construct who's time has largely passed and I doubt she's going to overtake the likes of Katy Perry, Rihanna (both of whom may be on the slide in a few years themselves) and Taylor Swift. There are even newer names coming up to bite at their heels now.
  • zohar100zohar100 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Hmmm...with the right song, I think anyone can have a comeback of sorts, so I wouldn't rule this out entirely for Britney. But in reality, I don't think she's hungry enough to pursue chart success to any large extent so I don't think it's very likely to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    The only way you can age gracefully as a female in music is either to be talented or to be a MILF. Britney is probably the least talented female pop star of all time, and she now looks like someone who eats every meal at Taco Bell.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i remember threads during the Femme Fetale and Britney Jean era on will she ever make a huge comeback and many fans were certain her next album would be massive and neither albums set the charts alright.

But's she still young and I think she could have her "Fever, "Believe" and "Confessions" type era.

Her lack of enthusiasm and promotion does not her no good in my opinion. Once upon a time, she was massive in the UK and she has abandoned her UK fanbase a hell of a lot other the years, with only a X Factor slot being the only thing she has promo wise.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Well i remember threads during the Femme Fetale and Britney Jean era on will she ever make a huge comeback and many fans were certain her next album would be massive and neither albums set the charts alright.

But's she still young and I think she could have her "Fever, "Believe" and "Confessions" type era.

Her lack of enthusiasm and promotion does not her no good in my opinion. Once upon a time, she was massive in the UK and she has abandoned her UK fanbase a hell of a lot other the years, with only a X Factor slot being the only thing she has promo wise.

Femme Fatale was a great album. Still play it and love it to this day. 'Till The World Ends' was a huge hit in the US and elsewhere, it did OKish here, but for some reason Radio would not play it, no idea why Radio 1 shunned it (ageism again probably) .

Britney Jean was half great, half crap. literally 50/50. So she will really need to pull something amazing out of the bag. And unfortunately i just cant see it, she will likely be one of those artists who will carry on releasing music now and again for her core fanbase.. much like what i see happening to Lady Gaga.
    Frankly i would take them anyday over the stuff which gets flogged to the masses such as Sam Smith and anything else which gets to number one these days for that matter.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    If she gets the right songs I don't see why not. Looking at her recent efforts I don't see it myself but who knows, she may end up getting her Emancipation Of Mimi moment and getting another really well selling album.
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Femme Fatale was a great album. Still play it and love it to this day. 'Till The World Ends' was a huge hit in the US and elsewhere, it did OKish here, but for some reason Radio would not play it, no idea why Radio 1 shunned it (ageism again probably) .

Britney Jean was half great, half crap. literally 50/50. So she will really need to pull something amazing out of the bag. And unfortunately i just cant see it, she will likely be one of those artists who will carry on releasing music now and again for her core fanbase.. much like what i see happening to Lady Gaga.
    Frankly i would take them anyday over the stuff which gets flogged to the masses such as Sam Smith and anything else which gets to number one these days for that matter.

I totally agree here. I have the same opinion of both Femme Fatale and Britney Jean. At the moment it's hard to know what album 9 will be like, but if Pretty Girls is the lead single then it's not a good start. I read somewhere before that Britney has nothing left to prove now and mostly wants to release music because she enjoys it or for the fans. She'll always have a cult following of hardcore fans.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enough people will remember Britney's earlier material and therefore buy any new material that comes out
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to her first greatest hits the other day and there really is a massive deterioration between those early songs and her post-Blackout material. Femme Fatale is enjoyable enough but disposable. Circus and Britney Jean were pretty awful (by Britney's standards).

I'm glad that Pretty Girls flopped because hopefully it will give her the push to create something better.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Circus. I think that's Britney's last really good album. I like about half of Femme Fatale and I only like about 3 songs on Britney Jean. I hope her next album is a lot better. I think Pretty Girls is such a stupid song and I can't stand the awful voice of Iggy Wotsit. I hope that song isn't an example of what to expect from Britney's next album! I've always liked Britney but haven't been as keen on her material in more recent years. In The Zone, Britney, Circus and Blackout are my fave Britney albums.

I'm sure she could have a big hit again. Most artists can, if the songs are good enough and enough people get to hear them!
  • Kirsty_Jones90Kirsty_Jones90 Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »
    Everyone keeps asking whether Madonna or Kylie will ever make a big comeback but what about Britney? Femme Fatale underperformed (it has been certified platinum in the U.S. because of shipments), Britney Jean bombed, Work Bitch underperformed, and Pretty Girls flopped. Her last solo top five hit in the U.K. was seven years ago. She seems to be doing ok in Las Vegas, but she hasn't sold out a leg since Feb 2014. Will she make a comeback or has her career run its course? Unlike Madonna and Kylie, Britney hasn't been in the business 20 years and is still in her early 30s. Is there time? I hope she does, I have a soft spot for her.

she cannot really be compared to both madonna and kylie imho, as at least they can cut it live with live singing where Britney is just depending on her stageshow and mimes throughout her career. Why should she deserve another chance, she should put some real effort in it:cool:
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Enough people will remember Britney's earlier material and therefore buy any new material that comes out

I remember Duran Duran's early material with fond memories. Does it mean I'll buy the new stuff? Of course it bloody doesn't. What a ridiculous thing to say.
  • Andy18Andy18 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I dont think she wants too or needs too shes made her legacy whatever any one thinks she's had her one of the biggest peaks an artist has seen bewteen 99-04
  • eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she cannot really be compared to both madonna and kylie imho, as at least they can cut it live with live singing where Britney is just depending on her stageshow and mimes throughout her career. Why should she deserve another chance, she should put some real effort in it:cool:

What like kylie and madonna does with their music coz at least britney still has decent songs, britney is one of the most grounded celebs that we actually have and is no diva and appreciates what she does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that britney has her groove and attitude back to what she once was and the way she is performing and dancing again is electric, she's finally got her fire back to make her one of the best performers around. I feel she's ready to make the album that the fans want to hear from her, good old fashion britney songs that people can love to listen to and make you dance when you hear them again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SpaceCake wrote: »

I think she will, it's taken her a very very long time to deal with everything she's been going through since her breakdown that she's finally happy again and will do what she wants to do to keep that happiness within her and hope that shows when she finally has a new album out
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Andy18 wrote: »
    I dont think she wants too or needs too shes made her legacy whatever any one thinks she's had her one of the biggest peaks an artist has seen bewteen 99-04

I think that too though I loved "Blackout" and I liked "Circus" and "Femme Fatale".

I've never liked "Britney Jean".
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Only is she's asking "Do you want fries with that?" ;-)
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't and never have liked Britney but I think yes she could have a comeback. All it takes is the right song
    While age might be a factor she's only (nearly 34) Kylie was in the height of it at 34 and Mariah was 35 when she had We Belong Together so I think If there's a song everyone is going mad for the radio stations would overturn the alleged age related bias.
    How old is Enrique Iglesias? He must be in his 40s now and he has one of the biggest songs around at the moment.
    If she has the right songs written for her and sounds good on them, then yes she could have a comeback.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Britney needs two things if she stands any chance of getting another hit in the UK.

1. Airplay - it amazes me that a song can be on Spotify for months and do nothing yet once Radio 1 and Capital FM start playing one of these songs, it suddenly shoots up the Spotify chart.

2. Promotion - get Britney in the UK to perform on 1 or 2 TV shows to promote her new single. Pretty Girls might've been crap but it got to #16 so chances are had Britney & Iggy performed the song on a popular UK show that boost might well've given the track a better chance of remaining in the top 10.
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I think that too though I loved "Blackout" and I liked "Circus" and "Femme Fatale".

I've never liked "Britney Jean".

Blackout is my favourite Britney album and probably one of the most played of mine. Gimme More is my lecturer's song, along with Slave 4 U and Work Bitch :D I play it everytime I see her. Circus and Femme Fatale are ok too. I have mixed opinions on Britney Jean. It has a few decent songs but overall the album is pants.
  • NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The self-titled Britney album as well as In The Zone were beyond fantastic. I've always liked her music, but I think her very best work came out between 2001 and 2004. I live for that era, its music and fashion;-)

I'd certainly welcome more music from her. Prefer her to Taylor Swift any day of the week.