Dexter Newbie

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
Forum Member
OK, I took a chance buying S1-5 boxset without having seen any eps before. But now, 2 eps left of S2, totally hooked. Was unsure to start with but its getting better and better. When does the quality drop?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll get differing viewpoints. The problem is, S4 is so utterly, utterly brilliant, it's natural to think of the subsequent seasons as poor.

For me personally, Season 6 has been the weakest but I've enjoyed all of them up to that point for different reasons.
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me Season 3 is the worst.
    Don't let that put you off though, as Season 4 is one of the best seasons of any tv show I have ever seen. It is rivetting from start to finish.
    Personally I liked Season 5 and 6 too.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    i have liked most of the seasons for different reasons, season 4 is defo not to be missed tv viewing, i have a few issues with season 6 but that would take you into spoiler territory so wont say anything
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also liked Season 5 a lot as well because it explored a different side to Dexter.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the first 4 seasons were as good as anything thats been on tv over the last few years,5 & 6 were ok but i felt they were lacking something,not sure what though,still great tv but just not as good as earlier seasons.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of differing opinions on the later seasons, but in my opinion they knocked the ball so far out of the park with Season 4 (like others have said, one of the best seasons of American tv ever imo) that 5 and 6 felt like disappointments. I'd say 3 and 6 are the weakest, but by no means are they poor television. 6 is very up and down in quality but takes the show in a new direction as it progresses. I actually really liked 5 after a slow start, like someone else said it shows a different side of the Dexter character. 1 and 2 are great stuff, 4 is amazing, the rest vary. Of course this is all opinion and you could find them enjoyable.
  • fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always jealous of someone watching Dexter for the first time.

The only season I have been disappointed with is 6 - but it was still better than most TV.

I used to watch in blocks of three episodes, but for the end of season 2 I watched 6 in one day - I don't know how anybody could wait to see what happens!!

Enjoy - you lucky thing!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always jealous of someone watching Dexter for the first time.

Same here - especially Season 4. I should contact Paul McKenna to hypnotize the memory out of me so i could watch it again :)
  • brettriotbrettriot Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I personally thought season two, three and some areas in season five were probably the weakest for me. But I love season one, four and six :)
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best to worst: 4>1>3>2*>5>6

*Lila really dragged this season down for me.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S4, S3, S1, S2, S5, S6

For me Season 6 just didn't work, I actually found myself skipping parts because it was so boring. A whole episode wasted on a road trip there had very little to do with the main plot.

It amuses me that Season 4 of Dexter is rightly considered one of the best seasons in any tv show ever......but every now and then you get someone who goes against that opinion. It always seems a little forced, like they're just trying to be different. I wonder if this thread will get one of those posts.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 & 4
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Six comes out just ahead of five for me for that final scene.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    OK, up to S3 E2, loving it. Glad Lila got her just deserves, and the whole morality of Dexter's actions - i.e. she earnt her death. Have heard a bit about what happens n S4, but still looking forward to it. Going for 2 eps a night twice a week, so should be on S4 by the end of the month.
    p.s. Have already put S6 boxset on my "Christmas wish list"
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    It amuses me that Season 4 of Dexter is rightly considered one of the best seasons in any tv show ever......but every now and then you get someone who goes against that opinion. It always seems a little forced, like they're just trying to be different. I wonder if this thread will get one of those posts.
    If you like. I preferred Season 5. There was a lot of good in Season 4, especially the performance of the big bad, but also some dull episodes and I didn't like what they did with several of the characters. People seem to remember the good and forget the bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I took a chance buying S1-5 boxset without having seen any eps before. But now, 2 eps left of S2, totally hooked. Was unsure to start with but its getting better and better. When does the quality drop?

The quality dont really drop off just a couple of seasons are not as good as the others but as the show is such high quality even the lesser seasons are still as good as most things on TV.

I found the last season, season 6 to be the poorest, but of course still great by TV standards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    If you like. I preferred Season 5. There was a lot of good in Season 4, especially the performance of the big bad, but also some dull episodes and I didn't like what they did with several of the characters. People seem to remember the good and forget the bad.

I really loved season 5, Julia Stiles was brilliant.
    And for those who missed Rita she was a great antidote, great thinking by the writers for bringing her in as some kind of replacement for the hole left by Rita
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    For me, the order is 4,1,2,5,6,3
  • Simone17Simone17 Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my somewhat forced and just trying to be different opinion;) is that series 5 just edged it over series 4. I also thought that Julia Stiles was brilliant (as was John Lithgow in series 4) but I loved her relationship with Dexter.

Series 3 was my least favourite but it was still to a high standard. I do think that it is a fabulous show and would recommend it to anyone.

I saw the first two series on DVD as I was late coming to it and have found I do prefer to watch each series in one go, therefore I don't start watching until I have recorded the whole series.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Season 1 is my favourite, I loved the story behind Dexter's dark passenger's existence

I love season 4 too, John Lithgow was amazing and I liked season 6 esp the last scene at the end with Deb!!!!
  • FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Seasons 1 and 4 are my favourites. I'm currently midway through season 5
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seasons 1, 2 and 4 are great (especially 4)

Season 3 was alright - gets better towards the end.

Season 5 and 6 are dull.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed every season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    As I said, really looking forward to S4 when I get to it, but still think it'll be hard to see John Lithgow and not think "It's Dick, where's Harry and Sally and Tommy" (if you don't get what I mean, then there's not point in trying to explain)
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once on screen, the thought won't even enter you mind.