Which definition of gamer are you?

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,388
Forum Member
✭✭
Some definitions I came up with myself, feel free to disagree with them. They're not scientific, just what I believe is the fairest definition of different types of gamer.

CASUAL
You game to pass the time in whatever is the most convenient way. Increasingly, this is mobile gaming. You may have reached a very high level on Candy Crush or Cut The Rope, but more than likely don't have a current-gen console in your house. You will not be an early adopter of next-gen. You don't care about graphics or physics; just simplicity and ease of play. You are likely to own a games console, but it is rarely used and the probability is that it is either a Wii or last-gen console (most likely a PS2).

CORE
You may not have been an early adopter, but you own a current-gen console and may game socially with friends or online. You religiously purchase 'big-name' titles such as FIFA, COD and GTA, but have little interest in games outside of this comfort zone or those with little promotion. As such, your games collection is relatively narrow, and you may only spend several hours a week gaming, but nevertheless, you make up a sizeable proportion of Sony and Microsoft's user-base and so need to be kept happy.

DEDICATED
Like the core gamer, you game socially and online. However, you are also more likely to enjoy a wider range of titles, single-player games or those which are graphically/technologically impressive. You may spend a larger proportion of your leisure time gaming than the core gamer and own at least one current-gen console. You enjoy finding out information about new titles that are due to be released and may occasionally check websites such as IGN, but do not spend huge amounts of your time worrying about this. You have a medium-large games collection spread over several generations.

HARDCORE
Like the dedicated gamer, you game socially, online and enjoy a wide range of titles. Gaming is one of your main hobbies, if not your main hobby, and a relatively large proportion of your leisure time is spent gaming. You are likely to own consoles spanning several generations, including handhelds and more than one current-gen console. If you own a gaming PC, you certainly fall into this category. You are likely to be an early adopter of next-gen, whether through upgrading your PC or purchasing an X1/PS4. You own a very large games collection and enjoy learning more about new releases.

Which type of gamer are you? 100 votes

Casual
24% 24 votes
Core
15% 15 votes
Dedicated
37% 37 votes
Hardcore
24% 24 votes

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like im a core gamer
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we had this before and it didn't go well :)

I'd say I'm dedicated *I picked that* in the gaming part and hardcore as PC modding and upgrading goes.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like I am a dedicated gamer.

I am not really an early adopter.
    I do spend a lot of my hobby time gaming.
    I often venture outside of the popular franchises.
    I really couldn't careless if something is popular, I just play what I enjoy.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sound pretty close to hardcore, with the exception of more than one current gen, early adopter and pc.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Probably Hardcore, except I don't really game socially or online, never gotten the point, its much more a singular thing for me, but I do have a lot of games that are wide ranging from Ni No Kuni to Kinect Sports, all current gen consoles and enjoy retro, hate mainstream COD/Fifa and will seek out information and reviews of releases before buying :)
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardcore I am then. It's what I do most in my spare time.

my motto *try before you buy*

Nothing worse than spending a fortune on a game only to find its shit.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Disagree with your definitions personally. In my eyes you are certainly not a "hardcore gamer" simply because you own a high powered PC (tech enthusiast, yes). Nor are you "casual" for primarily gaming on the Wii or for not partaking in the current generation.

I'm a gamer, predominantly single-player, non-competitive and as a consequence very little online gaming interests me. I appreciate video-games from all generations. I would consider myself dedicated to retro. I equally appreciate realistic simulation games with state-of-the-art physics to 2D shmup's and 8-bit platformers. I enjoy a good storyline and dialogue but it's merely icing on the cake.

I care about graphics and I truly appreciate them when they are there, but realise they don't make or break a game, art direction is just as important. The Simulation genre plays by slightly different rules but physics are still more important to visuals.

I think the most important element of a game is how it "feels". I can enjoy a game based purely on it's physics (Pilotwings 64 for instance) but I get as much fun improving my own skill levels on high score boards or beating lap times. I enjoy most genres of games.

I would regard myself a "gaming enthusiast" as I've been infatuated by the hobby since i was little.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my motto *try before you buy*

Nothing worse than spending a fortune on a game only to find its shit.

Everyone will need to do this more next gen with the possible no trading it back in if its a stinker.
  • QuickbloodQuickblood Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorta a Casual gamer but only on PC or Console, not mobile, and it's usually a big name title.
    I'm the kind of person that will buy a new Graphics cards, PC or console just to play say GTA but may not play anything for months after that.
    I gonna try and change that this year though, a few titles have got me quite excited to get back into gaming and I may even try them online for once.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    going by the descriptions probably a mix between Core and Dedicated
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be dedicated. More or less casual these days.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,129
    Forum Member
    You should have added an option for those of us that hardly play games at all. I come onto this forum for news and people's opinions, but tbh I've not picked up a video controller in years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably Dedicated bordering on Hardcore. I spend a lot of my free time on my PS3 and will more than likely be an early adopter of the next gen console. I've also got numerous consoles from previous generations as well as handheld consoles. I also have quite a large game collection (due to me not selling them on).
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hover somewhere in the middle of dedicated and hardcore.
    Up until a couple of years ago I was always online and had a full friends list. As evidenced by my epic Gears 2 opening weekend stint 9:00pm Friday - 6:00am-ish Monday only stopping for a brief power nap or food. These days I am more about the single player aspect and have culled my friends list to 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hardcore i'd say

If i game is genuinely amazing (usually an RPG) i can spend literally 10-12+ hours a day on it for weeks, I even played Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII for about 20 straight hours when i bought i just could put it down

And I'd just like to say to the OP this is probably the best definitions I've seen for different types of gamers, of course they aren't 100% and people will disagree though
  • LackadaisicalLackadaisical Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Dedicated.
  • demonbazzademonbazza Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I sound pretty close to hardcore, with the exception of more than one current gen, early adopter and pc.

This pretty much sums me up too, need a defination in the middle lol.

Got at least one of every sony device from original playstation onwards, but never really looked at any other current gen devices.
    I tend to wait for the kinks to be ironed out, and a descent games library before buying a new console.
    Never been a pc gamer (though a friend has shown me his home built setup and, after eyeing up the ps4 and X1 specs and gimmics, this may be my way forward)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casually hardcore... so I've not voted
  • quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm mostly casual but own a 360, Wii, PS2 and PS3 but most of my gaming is on PC or iOS. Currently playing Persona 4 which is last-gen but not a big-hitter so doesn't fir their either.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quickblood wrote: »
    I'm sorta a Casual gamer but only on PC or Console, not mobile, and it's usually a big name title.
    I'm the kind of person that will buy a new Graphics cards, PC or console just to play say GTA but may not play anything for months after that.
    I'm similar. I tend to buy a small number of games each year, and play them over and over. I don't do multi-player. I don't play mobile games, either. Currently I use a PS3 but I've used PCs in the past and probably will again in future. (I have a load of old PC games I want to replay, which my current laptop isn't up to.)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dedicated I think.

More of a retro gamer, but I do own a 360.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to be hardcore in the days of Amiga, SNES, Megadrive.

Now casual because games just don't seem to be as fun.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dedicated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Hardcore all the way by your definitions.. though I would really consider myself dedicated
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Core gamer, can't go past that. I get fed up after a few hours playing and stick to the safe games.

MADDEN 13
    NHL 13
    Tiger Woods 14
    GTA
    Minecraft
    Forza 4

I've got no interest in Skyrim or stuff like that, i want to pick up and play a game or two.