What went wrong for Sam Attwater?

Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
Forum Member
✭✭
I am most suprised Sam kept ending up in the bottom two. He was such a brilliant skater, could do the lifts, dance, perform skate on his own etc... So why did people not vote for him? Could he have won if he had been paired with Brianne? Though I really like Vicky and loved their relationship.

Comments

• yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Sarah Anne wrote: »
    I am most suprised Sam kept ending up in the bottom two. He was such a brilliant skater, could do the lifts, dance, perform skate on his own etc... So why did people not vote for him? Could he have won if he had been paired with Brianne? Though I really like Vicky and loved their relationship.

I thought Sam was the one who had improved most during the series but unfortunately people already have their favourites. I hadn't enjoyed his skating much but his skating routine yesterday was good enough for the final.
  • Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    He's not Ray Quinn.
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was never that popular in his own series, against much weaker opposition. I think the last two weeks were the only ones where he topped the vote, and it took a skate-off appearance to prod people into putting him up there. I know he had less scandal this go-around, but it was always going to be a struggle against other winners who had been public vote juggernauts.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    He wasn't as likable this time around
  • hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I was never a fan in the original series, didn't dislike him but just didn't take to his style.

And this series I felt the same, and never thought their relationship was one that was obvious on the ice. I thought a couple in real life would have that added connection on the ice but I couldn't see it if they did.
  • lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hrh7 wrote: »
    I was never a fan in the original series, didn't dislike him but just didn't take to his style.

And this series I felt the same, and never thought their relationship was one that was obvious on the ice. I thought a couple in real life would have that added connection on the ice but I couldn't see it if they did.

This sums up how I felt about him. I did not dislike him, I was just not that fussed about him. In the series that he won he was good from the start and I never connected to him or dare I say "warmed" to him. The on ice relationship with Vicky did not seem close, even though they are in love. The fact that the VTs seemed to force the point that they were a couple, made the the lack of on ice chemistry seem even acute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This sums up how I felt about him. I did not dislike him, I was just not that fussed about him. In the series that he won he was good from the start and I never connected to him or dare I say "warmed" to him. The on ice relationship with Vicky did not seem close, even though they are in love. The fact that the VTs seemed to force the point that they were a couple, made the the lack of on ice chemistry seem even acute.

Feel exactly the same, llightonmyfeet!:)
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    He was never that popular in his own series, against much weaker opposition. I think the last two weeks were the only ones where he topped the vote, and it took a skate-off appearance to prod people into putting him up there. I know he had less scandal this go-around, but it was always going to be a struggle against other winners who had been public vote juggernauts.

True. But Ray's main opposition didn't even make the last 2 such was her vote problem, and Hayley faced no one much good at all - even when people showed potential that series they just got dull routines the next week. Their vote wasn't really tested either.

I think Sam had a problem this series with doing two big jobs at once and improved when he paid less attention to his musical. He came alive in his last two weeks. But even then I don't think they knew what to do with him. They seem good at writing dance routines for shorter people with lots of dance training, but they didn't seem able to write a coherent routine for someone taller who could do bigger lifts and move almost as well as Ray. There also seems to be a view among people who should know that his skating skill was as undermarked as Kyran's or Beth and Suzanne's tricks.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayley faced no one much good at all - even when people showed potential that series they just got dull routines the next week. Their vote wasn't really tested either.

Danniella Westbrook was actually popular in the public votes, and it annoyed me how she wasn't given better routines or developed enough. She showed so much promise from the beginning and could have been good competition but apart from Prop Week, she wasn't really given any 'wow' routines.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,620
    Forum Member
    I think Sam's problem was simply that he appealed to the same viewers as Ray, but Ray was better.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Danniella Westbrook was actually popular in the public votes, and it annoyed me how she wasn't given better routines or developed enough. She showed so much promise from the beginning and could have been good competition but apart from Prop Week, she wasn't really given any 'wow' routines.

memory may be wrong but Danielle I think did well with 9 to 5? Then as you say she got nothing to build on it. They did the same stalling Chloe, and Jorgie and rarely hit Jessica's potential either
  • bel110bel110 Posts: 14,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Sam first time round and while I still liked him this time I definitly found his partnership with Vicky on the ice lacking in spark or excitment. I found Sam and Brianne very dynamic and you could feel the spark of flirtation betweeen them which worked really well. I found it so odd that with Vicky he seemed almost flat on the ice and Vicky didn´t really shine either. I think it´s possible the public found them a slightly nauseating couple as well, especially as their relationship has been rammed down our throats in all the VT´s .... so for me as much as I like Sam and would have liked to see him in the final he def hasn´t had the spark he had the first time round and I agree with others above that he has been more tired and juggling more this time which has affected his performances and he´s been given a few dud routines ... the comments and scores after the Freddie Mercury routine were particularly unfair given that he was told to dress up like that ....
  • hopscotch23hopscotch23 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I felt he had better chemistry with Vicki off the ice than on it. There were issues with his chemistry with Brianne last year at times and I think he is more suited to being a pairs or individual skater than a nice dancer.

At the start of the series he came over as quite arrogant which may not have helped but he definitely grew on me as the series progressed but not enough to vote for him. Saying that I wish he was in the final, I enjoyed watching him skate over the last few weeks
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps his personality didn't shine through enough?
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening VT and the fake wedding did it for me. It was an uphill battle to 'warm' to him after that.
    I didn't dislike Sam. Just didn't like him/his skating enough to vote for him.

And although I did find Sam a good skater (and thought he did as well as Ray in the Skate Off), it was a foregone conclusion he was going to lose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    The showmance with Brianne didn't help. People don't forget stuff like that as they don't like being taken for mugs. I like Vicky Ogden, she seems lovely but the their romance seems a little sickly. Don't think that did them any favours, he comes across a bit seedy.
  • Ren92Ren92 Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I loved Sam in his year and was thrilled when he won! But this year, he had completely lost his spark. Considering he is engaged to Vicki, they seriously lacked chemistry on the ice, and off it their relationship felt very forced! Him and Brianne had superb chemistry and were always a joy to watch and for me I feel he would have stood a better chance if he'd been with Brianne again this time around.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyH wrote: »
    The showmance with Brianne didn't help. People don't forget stuff like that as they don't like being taken for mugs. I like Vicky Ogden, she seems lovely but the their romance seems a little sickly. Don't think that did them any favours, he comes across a bit seedy.

This. People don't like being conned.
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion he was (with Laura but her bolero let her down) the best skater in his series and he won because of that rather than due to his personality. To me if I was celebrity and on the show I think Series 6 would've been the easiest series to win because minus the three finalists there wasn't one particular celebrity who had a mix of popularity, skating and a high fanbase. I always thought Sam wouldn't perform as well this series due to there being such a strong level of contestants.

When you compare Sam directly with skaters in his series he was the strongest but when he's up against the likes of Ray, Kyran, Beth, Hayley, Suzanne etc I can see why voters may vote for other people instead of him which created a vote problem. He was always chasing the front runners in the judges scoreboard but never quite got there, that minus a vote problem meant he was bound to face a few skate offs especially since the public are more likely to vote someone low down on the leaderboard in the earlier weeks meaning contestants in the middle of the leaderboard are more at risk.

Edit: Never meant to write this much. :o
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was she? I seem to remember Hayley decimating the others in the vote every single week with Daniella often down the bottom...hence some skate offs! Correct me if I'm wrong...
  • DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    memory may be wrong but Danielle I think did well with 9 to 5? Then as you say she got nothing to build on it. They did the same stalling Chloe, and Jorgie and rarely hit Jessica's potential either

Daniella had some okay routines - mainly the Dusty Springfield song. But she was still average at the very best. It was very very contrived when she topped the leaderboard towards the end one week (props week) when Hayley outclassed her every time. It was done to create a fake sense of competition, partly because Hayley had (rightly) topped the board every week, and the year before Ray had done the same. They were desperate to make it seem exciting. The public saw through that of course because Daniella was voted out the next week.

Chloe was really nothing great at all - Laura outclassed, outskated and outperformed her all the time. But 3rd place was about right and hardly a bad position. It's not like Chloe could do more than what she was given.

Jorgie - a victim of bad routines, but actually so was Matthew. That whole series had problems with it. Second place was still totally right for her.

Jessica I kind of agree with, but it's very hard to fight that when you clearly have such a vote problem as she did. And you can't take away Donal's amazing improvements either, so I can understand her being 3rd. She was a tall girl and limited in lifts, but they did at least try to focus on the skating so she wasn't that under served, in fact her skating was probably the best of any girl perhaps, it's just the public didn't like her as much.
  • TVFreakoTVFreako Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Sarah Anne wrote: »
    ... So why did people not vote for him?

Wasn't good enough. End of. The elimination of two certain skaters early on who made the DOI news for wrong reasons made it entirely possible for the stage to come where it was impossible for anyone other than those naturally gifted (who DOI was made for let us be honest) to go out. No amount of good skating from anyone was ever going to stop the fact from now on someone only good was going to go out. What I am surprised about is that theirs people who still haven't accepted that.
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVFreako wrote: »
    Wasn't good enough. End of. The elimination of two certain skaters early on who made the DOI news for wrong reasons made it entirely possible for the stage to come where it was impossible for anyone other than those naturally gifted (who DOI was made for let us be honest) to go out. No amount of good skating from anyone was ever going to stop the fact from now on someone only good was going to go out. What I am surprised about is that theirs people who still haven't accepted that.
    BIB^^^ Not so much wasn't good enough as wasn't popular enough. This had a lot to do with it:
    LadyH wrote: »
    ^^^ Spot on!
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    He's not Ray Quinn.

he certinatly wasn't and simples he just didn't get the votes