Options

No satellite signal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
Forum Member
Could someone do an experiment for me? Can you unplug both LNB cables and see if you can playback recorded programmes on the Humax Freesat+ box? If so can you also try switching off at the mains, with the LNBs still unplugged and then seeing if you can playback?

I only ask as I am thinking of ditching SKY+. We lose our signal for six months of the year as several trees come into leaf and block our signal. If I had the Humax 320GB box I could fill it up with Films etc and have plenty to keep me going over the summer!

Comments

• Options
    Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    There is an excellent product on the market that can alleviate that issue for you --- It's called a chainsaw. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I looked into that - over £1000 to remove three trees. Also, found out that one is protected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    anyway of moving the dish??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no. dish is in best place. have tried numerous sky and independent engineers. We can't get freeview until 2012 either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you unplug both LNB cables and see if you can playback recorded programmes on the Humax Freesat+ box? If so can you also try switching off at the mains, with the LNBs still unplugged and then seeing if you can playback?

I can state categorically that, if you switch off mains power, the Humax won't do anything at all. I don't even need to test this theory. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Or you could change the internal drive for a 1TB version plus an external 1TB USB drive also. That would give you a reasonable amount of storage space :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can state categorically that, if you switch off mains power, the Humax won't do anything at all. I don't even need to test this theory. :cool:

I meant then switch it back on with LNB cables unplugged. Can you playback recoreded programmes or does the box look for a signal so it can boot up?
  • Options
    Blue FlameBlue Flame Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    I looked into that - over £1000 to remove three trees. Also, found out that one is protected.

Although my note was said in jest..... Surely it is just a few branches we are talking about if it is the leaves that are the issue? If the main trunk was in the way it wouldn't work at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I tried removing LNBs and then powering up. It works fine as a digital playback unit, however I dont know if this would lead to long term issues. any thoughts?
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone do an experiment for me? Can you unplug both LNB cables and see if you can playback recorded programmes on the Humax Freesat+ box? If so can you also try switching off at the mains, with the LNBs still unplugged and then seeing if you can playback?

Yes It works
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    If so can you also try switching off at the mains, with the LNBs still unplugged and then seeing if you can playback?

Didn't work my end, display was black and no blue light
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried having a dish placed down the garden on the far side of the trees?

If thats not possible and they're your trees (sounds likely as you looked into cutting them), have you ever thought of mounting a dish half way up a tree on the trunk and doing this by clearing a section of trunk of branches on one side (not the protected tree obviously)?

There are various dish options you can explore. The dish doesn't have to be on the house and even when very long cable runs are required there ways around this such as boosters or very low loss cables. Most people think cable spec stops as CT100 or CT125 when in fact its made commercially for satelite dish use to in excess of CT250!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We lose our signal for six months of the year as several trees come into leaf and block our signal. If I had the Humax 320GB box I could fill it up with Films etc and have plenty to keep me going over the summer!

I really empathise jonny :(

I have same problem and it took a bit of working around to get my dish aimed directly between 2 of the trees and just below the first branch (to avoid the summer leaves problem). I have 12 trees, 100' high in the way of the signal....so unfair isn't it!

You know our neighbour just 2 houses down gets picture with dish on side of house just 8' high, so the slightest little angle can make all the difference apparantly!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried having a dish placed down the garden on the far side of the trees?

This is good advice !

However it requires a leap of faith to buy 2 garden lengths of high quality coax & then transplant the dish.
    As a caravanner. who erects a dish on the ground repetitively, I can suggest a few preliminary checks, that might avoid the disappointment of spending on the cable then finding that it cannot work.
    Take a compass bearing on your existing dish LNB arm & at a position beyond, or looking between, the trees check that you have no obstructions higher than 24 degrees above horizontal.
    If you find a good position so that the bottom of the dish will "see" in that direction, then pick a dry day & move the dish, attach to a pole or stake hammered into the ground, attach sat box & portable TV 230v extension lead & try it.
    To find out how to align the dish see:-
    http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/freesatmain.htm

(If you are reading this because you have a similar problem, elsewhere, then the above website contains a map of Europe with dish elevation angles, 24 degrees was for Wiltshire.)

A more permanent garden mount uses a galvanised flanged pole bolted to 2 kerb-stones parallel to the LNB arm or onto a DIY concrete plinth.

I would avoid mounting the dish on a tree. A lightening strike on the tree might, in your TV room, provide you with your biggest & last firework display. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take a compass bearing on your existing dish LNB arm & at a position beyond, or looking between, the trees check that, in that same direction, you have no obstructions higher than 24 degrees above horizontal.

Edit for clarity SWIZZ?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SWIZZ? wrote: »
    If the garden dish is no good then try talking your next door neighbours into sharing a dish. If they are at all interested in Freesat then a free dish (yours) might tip the balance. Many people are unaware that an LNB can be shared.

Only if the dish and lnbs are satisfactorily earth bonded by a competent electrician, otherwise there could be potentially very hazardous voltages around if the two properties are on different phases of the mains supply (as is the usual situation in any row of houses) if any fault develops in the AV equipment in either house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Shared dishes and shared aerials are potentially VERY hazardous. As stated they need to be bonded. Using a multiswitch is the best way to do this. Vision do a line powered switch ideal for up to 8 feeds.

Check out dishpointer.com to try and find the best location for your dish. Using a larger sky dish may help. Also a tree surgeon may be able to trim the trees a bit.

You are not alone, there are many who have a grainy, but watchable analogue terrestrial signal, and no satellite reception due to trees. these folk will be stuffed after DSO.

Tony