Options

CONFIRMED: Writers and directors for series 5

WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/03_march/19/doctor_who.shtml

From the BBC website. Interesting that none of the directors have worked on DW before.

Comments

• Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am holding out no hope for the episode written by Richard Curtis.

Based on my record with such things that will, as a result, probably turn out to be the best episode of the lot.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/03_march/19/doctor_who.shtml

From the BBC website. Interesting that none of the directors have worked on DW before.

No Graeme Harper? :(
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I would imagine that the Moff wants to put his own spin on the show and thus has decided to go with new directors
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    No Graeme Harper? :(

Apparently Moff wanted to use new directors, then decided he wanted to use Graeme after all, but thier schedules did not match.

Graeme has said he will keep a window open for next year however.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Chris Chibnall 2-parter? Oh dear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am really honestly only concerned about how the show pans out for value of drama , the coan brothers could have written an episode and I watch it or the chuckle brothers could have directed it and I watch it as it is britisih as hp sauce ax:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mass09 wrote: »
    Apparently Moff wanted to use new directors, then decided he wanted to use Graeme after all, but thier schedules did not match.

Graeme has said he will keep a window open for next year however.

That's good news. Graeme is very definitely the best director the show has!
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    I don't care too much who the directors are. This is TV, where there writers and producers are in charge, unlike movies where the director is king.

The directors chosen certainly don't worry me at all, based on previous credits.

Adam Smith - Skins series 1, Little Dorrit
    Andrew Gunn - Primeval, Life on Mars
    Jonny Campbell - Ashes to Ashes, Shameless, Spooks
    Catherine Morshead - Ashes to Ashes, Mutual Friends
    Ashley Way - Torchwood
    Toby Haynes - Five Days, Being Human
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care too much who the directors are. This is TV, where there writers and producers are in charge, unlike movies where the director is king.

The directors chosen certainly don't worry me at all, based on previous credits.

Ashley Way - Torchwood
    The director may not be in charge but a good or bad director can still make or break a show.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did we know all those guest stars already?

I can't recall seeing Iain Glen or Ian McNeice's names mentioned before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ashley Way - Torchwood

Thnks for that info, as I didn't really know the rest apart form Adam Smith's credential for Skins....and that was because Stcoop kindly posted that info last year!

Have to admit before Doctor Who, I never ever cared for who directed a TV show....and in the last five years I have come know names like Harper, Lyn, Moffat (Peter that is), Hussein, Hawes, Troughton and Strong...and many more. Wow I'm a geek!!!:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Did we know all those guest stars already?

I can't recall seeing Iain Glen or Ian McNeice's names mentioned before.

According to IMDB Ian McNeice is playing:
    Winston Churchill in Episode 3, Victory of the Daleks which is written by Mark Gatiss
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ashley Way has worked on both Torchwood and SJA though.

It seems to be a benefit if your name begins with A this year though.

It's a good sign to bring in fresh blood and a literally fresh perspective.

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    Ashley Way has worked on both Torchwood and SJA though.

No Sarah Jane credits that I can see, but he did direct all the Tardisodes from series 1 and Attack of the Graske
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tinny wrote: »
    I am really honestly only concerned about how the show pans out for value of drama , the coan brothers could have written an episode and I watch it or the chuckle brothers could have directed it and I watch it as it is britisih as hp sauce ax:D

Sorry, that's now made in Holland by Heinz. How about as British as Cadbury's? Oh no, darn it. Same here though, I'm not really fussed who writes it or directs it, I'm gonna watch it and enjoy it anyway.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    A Chris Chibnall 2-parter? Oh dear.

He wrote the best episodes of series 2 of Torchwood and did some great work on Life on Mars and Law and Order Uk, so I don't see whats so bad about that actually. Unless you want to define his entire body of work by a couple of clunkers of course.
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Sarah Jane credits that I can see, but he did direct all the Tardisodes from series 1 and Attack of the Graske

I'm getting him mixed up with someone else on SJA, but he was the one Barrowman sorta had the hots for I think ;-)

G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cobaltmale wrote: »
    he was the one Barrowman sorta had the hots for

That's like saying "the contestant Anne Robinson was a bit curt to"