Options

Dirk Gently on BBC4

DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
..according to MediaGuardian, first novel to be adapted by the guy who writes Misfits and Vexed. Anyone got anymore info?

Casting could be interesting, I think Harry Enfield from the radio adaptations may be just a tad too old.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Trailer.

http://io9.com/5709322/first-trailer-from-dirk-gentlys-holistic-detective-agency-series

I am SOOOOO looking forward to this. The books were utter genius!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame it isnt on at Xmas.:cry:

Good to see Helen Baxendale in it.

Come on beeb, show it asap......

(Thanks suzzle for the link)
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's on BBC4 at 9pm on the 16th December
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Utter rubbish. While I like the guy who plays the lead, he is absolutely nothing like the Dirk Gently of the books, so the casting is a disaster. I won't watch as I adore those books and don't want them ruined for me.
  • Options
    squacksquack Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Utter rubbish. While I like the guy who plays the lead, he is absolutely nothing like the Dirk Gently of the books, so the casting is a disaster. I won't watch as I adore those books and don't want them ruined for me.

Just because you have that mental image of Dirk in your head which doesn't fit into a Stephen Mangan mould, it doesn't mean the programme is going to be a disaster.

No-one knows if the story will be ruined until they see it and that's what they should be trying to get right. I don't care who they have cast as Dirk, Reg, or even the Electric Monk I'm looking forward to seeing it.
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squack wrote: »
    Just because you have that mental image of Dirk in your head which doesn't fit into a Stephen Mangan mould, it doesn't mean the programme is going to be a disaster.

I don't think the above poster's mental image is the problem here.

According to the books he's described as a pudgy man who normally wears a heavy old light brown suit, red checked shirt with a green striped tie, long leather coat, red hat and thick metal-rimmed spectacles.

Not really a description of the tall Stephen Mangan chap as seen in pictures and trailers.

If we're going to start ignoring characters original descriptions stand by for Miss Marple as a 30-something career girl, Mr Darcy as a Californian surfer-dude, and Elsa the lion-cub as a meerkat. :D

As it's a one-off, for now, and also on a BBC4 budget, the writers supposedly taken the central characters but has created his own story around them, so don't hold your breath for the Electric Monk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    It's such a long time since I read the Dirk Gently books that I've pretty much forgotten the storylines. The following a random car when lost, however has stuck with me. It might not take you where you want to go, but it often takes you where you need to be.

I have tried this a few times... It doesn't work. :o/

Still, looking forward to this adaptation
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look forward to this series, loved the TV adaptation of Hitchikers, not that keen on the film altough I liked the idea of the 'Empathy Gun'. Certainly will be watching it:)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »
    I don't think the above poster's mental image is the problem here.

According to the books he's described as a pudgy man who normally wears a heavy old light brown suit, red checked shirt with a green striped tie, long leather coat, red hat and thick metal-rimmed spectacles.

Not really a description of the tall Stephen Mangan chap as seen in pictures and trailers.

If we're going to start ignoring characters original descriptions stand by for Miss Marple as a 30-something career girl, Mr Darcy as a Californian surfer-dude, and Elsa the lion-cub as a meerkat. :D

As it's a one-off, for now, and also on a BBC4 budget, the writers supposedly taken the central characters but has created his own story around them, so don't hold your breath for the Electric Monk.

but this happens all the time .

for instance Lewis from the Inspector Morse books is nothing like the tv version .
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ever heard of giving something a chance?

I'm looking forward to it. So what if it doesn't match your mental picture of Dirk. I'm all for imaginative adaptations (as in the recent BBC take on Sherlock) rather than line for line retelling of the book.

Great to see Helen Baxendale back on TV. I've always had a thing for her going back to Cardiac Arrest.
  • Options
    stafsstafs Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is going to be a case where too much has been changed for the fans of the books and unlikely to attract those who know little of the books. I hope I'm proved wrong, as a fan of Douglas Adams' work I am eagerly looking forward to this with the knowledge that it will not be the story of the book but will use many of the elements. However, I enjoyed the Hitchhiker's Guide film which similarly went its own way plot-wise, whereas many fans hated it.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I hope it is a good adaptation. It is only an hour long though, so I think a lot will be left out.

I still have the radio plays on CD. Got to get around to listening to them.

I loved the original radio plays of Hitch-hiker's. Plus the TV adaptation. The film was okay but not up to the first radio plays or TV series. The later radio plays were also some what lacking in my opinion.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but this happens all the time .

for instance Lewis from the Inspector Morse books is nothing like the tv version .

Agreed - another example: Stephen Fry was nothing like the Jeeves in the PG Woodhouse stories - who is late middle aged and quite portly. I can't imagine anyone else in the role now.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pacman1854 wrote: »

In one of the trailer scenes where Dirk is mapping events onto a blackboard you can see mention of various book plot points such as the electric monk, but whether they will figure in the film itself is another question.

The description in the radio times doesn't indicate any fantasy/sci fi elements at all which makes me wonder how many of the original story elements will be retained.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stripedcat wrote: »
    I hope it is a good adaptation. It is only an hour long though, so I think a lot will be left out.

I still have the radio plays on CD. Got to get around to listening to them.

I loved the original radio plays of Hitch-hiker's. Plus the TV adaptation. The film was okay but not up to the first radio plays or TV series. The later radio plays were also some what lacking in my opinion.

I don't think it is an adaption tho , I believe it's a new story .
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is an adaption tho , I believe it's a new story .

Okay. Sorry my mistake, I was under the impression that it was an adaptation.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Mangan was on Radio 5 this afternoon at about 3pm talking about Dirk Gently. It has elements of the books but is mostly a new story. They are hoping that the BBC will commission a series so that more material from the books can be used.
  • Options
    Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Stephen Mangan was on Radio 5 this afternoon at about 3pm talking about Dirk Gently. It has elements of the books but is mostly a new story. They are hoping that the BBC will commission a series so that more material from the books can be used.
    Hope they keep the Electric Monk that was a gem of an idea by Adams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 4 Tomorrow 9pm. (Thurs) Woo Hoo! Just set the Sky Plus! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did no one watch this? That doesn't bode well.

I quite enjoyed it for what it was but think they should have at least had 3 episodes, hopefully it will get a series because it was much better than Vexed which got a whole series. Not holding out much hope though with it being stuck on BBC four and no one is talking about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit surprised it was on BBC4, it seems more like BBC3 fare.

I was also surprised they filmed it in Bristol. I thought Cardiff had stolen all the drama :mad: They seem to have done a good job of keeping it secret. I would not have known about it had it not been for this forum and they filmed some of it in our Admin Offices :eek: Plus the only people I know that watched it did so because I told them. No one had heard about it through normal advertising.
  • Options
    colinbcolinb Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    I'll catch the repeat on the HD channel tomorrow (Sat 18) at 10:30pm. As others have said, it is so long since I read them that I shouldn't have retained any preconceptions :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Ever heard of giving something a chance?

I'm looking forward to it. So what if it doesn't match your mental picture of Dirk. I'm all for imaginative adaptations (as in the recent BBC take on Sherlock) rather than line for line retelling of the book.

Great to see Helen Baxendale back on TV. I've always had a thing for her going back to Cardiac Arrest.

Of course I have! However, I believe the books were good enough to deserve a retelling rather than an 'imaginative adaptation'.

So I can't watch because for me it will take something away from the books if I'm left with different images, such as Stephen playing the part of Dirk, and judging from the trailer I watched, giving him a personality transplant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never read the books but I enjoyed this, hope there are more eps and some more overt, Hitchikers style comedy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really liked this, saw it advertised and decided to give it a try and now I am keeping fingers crossed for a full series - nice one BBC4!