Speeding

Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
Forum Member
I was caught doing 38mph in a 30. Totally my fault and I admit to it.

I know I was in the wrong and will deal with what ever they give me.

But what will they give me?

I had been driving more or less 2 years to the date might be just under. And I have never been stopped before or got any points.

Any ideas. I have read 3 points and £60. Is this likely to be the case?

Cheers

Comments

• susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had been driving more or less 2 years to the date might be just under. And I have never been stopped before or got any points.

Cheers

You'll get a £60 fine and 3 points. If you're very lucky, your area might offer a speed awareness course, which you should take even if it's a bit more expensive. That way, you avoid points on your licence and you don't have to tell your insurance company. Not all areas offer it, though.

A clean driving record is no defence, I'm afraid - I had 35 years clean before I got my speeding points, and they had no sympathy! It's not as bad as it sounds, most insurance companies don't worry too much about 3 points for speeding, as it's so common. You must tell them about it, though, or your insurance could be invalidated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cheers

That's the standard punishment. You may be offered a driving awareness course if it's available in your area.

If you get offered the course, take it, you will not then have a conviction.
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to the sensible replies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I see the silly post has been removed:) It was only a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not the end of the world, although I agree it's very annoying - I was furious with myself, and I'm much more careful now. If you get the chance to go on a speed awareness course, it's a very useful experience and you'll learn a lot. They're not at all nasty or judgemental either.
  • SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been done for 37 in a 30. Have opted to go on the awareness course: £85 and 4.5 hours. Apparently it's quite an interesting experience so I'm looking forward to it!
    Forum Member
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    I've just been done for 37 in a 30. Have opted to go on the awareness course: £85 and 4.5 hours. Apparently it's quite an interesting experience so I'm looking forward to it!

Is that the £85 plus the £60 fine?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the £85 plus the £60 fine?
    No. The course is instead of any fine and points, not in addition to it. So it's an either or situation, ie either points and a fine or the course.

http://www.driver-improvement.co.uk/index.php/home/speed-awareness-scheme
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The length and cost of course seems to vary. Some places is a few hours, others its a full day and cost seems to vary from 60 to 100 quid. And its not offered in Scotland at all.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I see the silly post has been removed:) It was only a joke.

It seems that some people really have absolutely no sense of humour. At all.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    I had been driving more or less 2 years to the date might be just under.

If you have been driving under two years, drive very carefully until the two years "probationary" period has passed.

6 points is a ban.
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    If you have been driving under two years, drive very carefully until the two years "probationary" period has passed.

6 points is a ban.

I got the fine on the 27th July and I passed my test 30th July 2010 so I have now passed the two years.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Good one.

I have a friend who passed their test - late in life - I confess I hadn't heard about anything like this.

I know they drove very gingerly for two years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    The length and cost of course seems to vary. Some places is a few hours, others its a full day and cost seems to vary from 60 to 100 quid. And its not offered in Scotland at all.

The full day one is better, as you get some on-road driving as well as theory. I got a couple of hours with an advanced driving instructor and learned a lot that I'd either forgotten, or never learned 35 years ago! They let you drive for a bit, then the instructor takes over and tells you what you did wrong and how to fix it, then you drive again and are marked on how much you've improved. I was very impressed with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    The full day one is better, as you get some on-road driving as well as theory. I got a couple of hours with an advanced driving instructor and learned a lot that I'd either forgotten, or never learned 35 years ago! They let you drive for a bit, then the instructor takes over and tells you what you did wrong and how to fix it, then you drive again and are marked on how much you've improved. I was very impressed with it.

what was the cost ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    what was the cost ?

£100 for the full day. Think a half-day costs around £85, but the course always costs a bit more than the fine. As I had already got 3 points for a previous speeding offence at the time, I reckoned it was worth it.

Never had a speeding fine until I got an automatic car, I think it was because I didn't get the feedback of the engine accelerating to alert me to the speed.
  • cudzndripscudzndrips Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I got caught doing 37 in a 30 and got 3 pts but because the police officer who caught me is a family friend I got him to squash it! - Result:D
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cudzndrips wrote: »
    I got caught doing 37 in a 30 and got 3 pts but because the police officer who caught me is a family friend I got him to squash it! - Result:D

So he catches you and reports it so that you get a notice and then he arranges for it to be cancelled. Rather than just ignore it in the first place. Yeah right !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got caught doing 35 in 30 zone driving back from the garage with my new car! I did the course instead of points, was £60 and ran from 9 - 1pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cudzndrips wrote: »

sorry, don't believe you. nobody is going to risk losing their job over this, especially if they are just a family friend.