Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 13)

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    Tsk, I know, you lot watching us scrabble for places from your lofty throne! :D

Yup, it is nice to be on our throne again, it seems to have been a bit abused by the last occupants though sadly. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We still have you and Chelsea to play yet. My bum's going to be squeaking. After last season, that lofty throne is still capable of collapsing.:eek::cry:

No bum squeaking at this end, no collapsing throne this time. ;)
  • satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    We still have you and Chelsea to play yet. My bum's going to be squeaking. After last season, that lofty throne is still capable of collapsing.:eek::cry:

It won't - you have a canny manager, unlike us! I think last season really stung Fergie, he made sure it wouldn't happen again by going to an old 'mate' and persuaded him to part with his best striker! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    satellite wrote: »
    It won't - you have a canny manager, unlike us! I think last season really stung Fergie, he made sure it wouldn't happen again by going to an old 'mate' and persuaded him to part with his best striker! ;)

Can we have Whilshire and/or Carzola next please? ;)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Can't see us beating Man Utd - maybe a point at best - we'd better watch out for Everton too (the gap is only 2 ATM)....
    Forum Member
    Can we have Whilshire and/or Carzola next please? ;)

No outstaying your welcome now! ;)
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Can't see us beating Man Utd - maybe a point at best - we'd better watch out for Everton too (the gap is only 2 ATM)....

If we can beat City and Chelsea i'd be happy with a point.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway...

Delighted with the result today. Professional job done well.

I'm convinced if we keep winning we'll make the top four place that every team in the league covets - and some of our fans seem so quick to sneer at.
    Forum Member
    We only sneer because we feel we should be capable of more. I mean we're like 24 points behind Man U or something, ridiculous and unacceptable.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I thought of that - looks like Spurs will finish above us (though it will be close - if we win our game in hand the gap is only 1) - I think Chelsea will be the competition for 4th spot.

We've got it sewn up. You only need to look at the upcoming fixtures.

It staggers me there are people who still believe that we might finish 3rd or 5th.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    Anyway...

I'm convinced if we keep winning we'll make the top four place that every team in the league covets - and some of our fans seem so quick to sneer at.

It's sneered at because an entire season based around nothing more than securing a couple of group games against Olympiakos, Schalke & Sparta Prague for the following season year after year becomes incredibly futile.

And for those of us who remember 1987, 1993 etc with great fondness, the current attitude around the club and from the Arsene Knows crowd epitomises so much that is wrong with modern day football.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's sneered at because an entire season based around nothing more than securing a couple of group games against Olympiakos, Schalke & Sparta Prague for the following season year after year becomes incredibly futile.

And for those of us who remember 1987, 1993 etc with great fondness, the current attitude around the club and from the Arsene Knows crowd epitomises so much that is wrong with modern day football.

Yes its not sneering at getting in the CL places at all. Its disillusionment that we aren't even trying to challenge for the league or the CL and treat the cups with contempt. If we aimed high and finished fourth I'd be very happy. But we don't, we actually seem to aim for fourth to start with. Every season we are told we will mount a challenge in the next season but never do and if anything are going backwards. Its stale and no one believes a word of it any more. Just like every year we get told of the transfer activity that will take place whenever season tickets are up for renewal or the AGM or similar is taking place. Then nothing happens.

We thought the beginning of this season was different with early signings being made. Thought that was a statement of intent. Then what happens? We sell two of our best players and get rid of a few more whilst struggling to get rid of any of the dross. End result a squad no better, and arguably weaker than the season before.

I will be really pleased to be in the CL again next year if we make it but dispirited in the ethos behind it.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    Anyway...

I agree.

It will be 15 consecutive years if we do it again this year.

That is phenomenal - and the stuff some clubs only dream of.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    If by silly season, you mean season renewal time, you'd be correct!

We'd be lucky to sign up Gotze next season, let alone two of his international teammates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    We've got it sewn up. You only need to look at the upcoming fixtures.

It staggers me there are people who still believe that we might finish 3rd or 5th.

We've almost got top 4 sewn up, maybe even 3rd. Good win for Spurs today though.
    Chelsea will get less than 70 points with their fixtures, meaning we need 17 from 24.
    Win 5, Draw 2 and Lose 1, leaving room for an inevitable loss at Fulham/QPR and a non-win to United and Everton

Anyway WBA next, tough, but Mulumbu missing is a huge blow for them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    DavidT wrote: »
    Its never going to happen, but imagine if did...
    Fabianski
    Sagna - Mert - Kos - Monreal
    Bender - Wilshere
    Cazorla - Goetze - Podolski
    Lewandowski

Magnificent :(
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its never going to happen, but imagine if did...
    Fabianski
    Sagna - Mert - Kos - Monreal
    Bender - Wilshere
    Cazorla - Goetze - Podolski
    Lewandowski

Magnificent :(

Hmm- yes just imagine all those top players and Flappy still in goal.

Can't get excited by any of this at all I'm afraid.
    As usual we are stringing a few wins together to get into the CL so next season can be exactly the same yet again.
    Perfect for the board, perfect for Wenger but in no way addressing the serious malaise that is at the heart of the club.
    It's all a big :yawn:.

As for that CL record- we've got past the quarter finals twice in 15 years, which is a lamentable performance from such a highly paid manager who is also supposed to be 'Le Genius'.
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »

Can't get excited by any of this at all I'm afraid.
    As usual we are stringing a few wins together to get into the CL so next season can be exactly the same yet again.
    Perfect for the board, perfect for Wenger but in no way addressing the serious malaise that is at the heart of the club.
    It's all a big :yawn:.

Couldn't have put it better myself. The malaise at the club has affected me too, we've seen it all before and nothing will change any time soon!
    Forum Member
    I can't get excited because no way in hell will we be signing those players - didnt we try and get Lewandowski already?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »
    And? Fabianski is a good goalkeeper.
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is season ticket renewal time coming close ?? arsenal always go on about the big players they are going to buy when they need the season tickets renewed.
    when they are they don't buy any big players,done or another season..

been here before a million times
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Liverpool's win today means we mathematically are in the Premier League next season.

Top flight for 90 consecutive odd years. It's like a trophy! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chelski get the di canio roadshow at their place next week.

spuds get it last day of the season.
This discussion has been closed.