Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I got the idea that these would be two new stories. I would buy them if they release them for Kindle.

You may have copyright problems unless you have an "international" Kindle. When we were staying in the UK, Amazon.uk wouldn't download to my Kindle because they recognized it as originating in U.S. So I downloaded to my computer, which was in England, and then transferred to the Kindle with a USB connection.

Or, they may copyright it in the U.S. as well.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am probably wrong but I would think they would have to establish the fact that a new proposal was made and accepted somehow-its too much of a jump from the closing scene of series 5 to a full blown church wedding/reception at the very beginning of series 6.

If I were a betting person I would bet that the season opener will be a two hour show. They can't cram all that stuff into one hour and have it make sense, especially considering the expense they are going through to shoot it.

Then, too, how can you keep the momento going from S6E2 through S6E8? Something has got to go wrong in S6E1 to keep our interests on high to keep watching throughout the series. BP will find a way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    You may have copyright problems unless you have an "international" Kindle. When we were staying in the UK, Amazon.uk wouldn't download to my Kindle because they recognized it as originating in U.S. So I downloaded to my computer, which was in England, and then transferred to the Kindle with a USB connection.

Or, they may copyright it in the U.S. as well.

I have a VPN on a UK proxy server.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Here's a thought I've been having, just to stir the pot a bit....yes, they may be filming a wedding and reception, but do we really know 100% its their wedding and reception?! I have a wild theory that this wedding is just teasing us, someone else entirely is getting married, and the Doc and Louisa actually elope or hit the registrar in a different episode. Yes, at this point in the game, I am becoming a cynic! :rolleyes:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a VPN on a UK proxy server.

Yes, I have also what i think is the equivalent. Also used a VPN in England the other way to watch American TV (chiefly football games). But how do you get your Kindle to be recognized?

I think I could download from Amazon.uk to my computer here (using the VPN) and thence to to my Kindle, but I still don't think I could do it directly, because my Kindle isn't set up -- i.e.. "allowed" to receive material that is only copyrighted in the UK. But maybe this reflects things as they were several years ago and things have changed now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    I always liked the actress. I have seen her in a couple of other stuff. I think her comic timing is quite good.
    I'm looking forward to see her in the series.
    Of course, it doesn't mean that I won't miss Mrs. T (and Clive!).
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    Then, too, how can you keep the momento going from S6E2 through S6E8? Something has got to go wrong in S6E1 to keep our interests on high to keep watching throughout the series. BP will find a way.

Many have said that they film out of sequence, could the wedding be taking place later in the series?
    Forum Member
    If I were a betting person I would bet that the season opener will be a two hour show. They can't cram all that stuff into one hour and have it make sense, especially considering the expense they are going through to shoot it.

I don't really second that.
    First, it doesn't really fit very well into the program schedule of ITV, methinks, especially as they started to split up the latest and last "Lewis" series into one hour time slots, too.

Second, except for the one-off experiment "On the Edge", they always had one hour time slots.

Third, I don't hope so, as "On the Edge" is my least favourite. Part of it, I guess, is that they had more time to develop the story and therefore lost a bit of the sharp edge they need to speed the story up, so that it fits into 45 min. I personally like those more.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    Many have said that they film out of sequence, could the wedding be taking place later in the series?

MC had said about a year ago that they would start out that way. I think that the vast majority of DM fans have no idea what is happening in Cornwall right now, so I can't see them trying to deceive everyone.

I saw a tweet from an extra saying it was a long day but he had fun. He ended the tweet with "#NoSpoilers" so I suspect they made a big point of that to all the extras.
    Forum Member
    I still don't like that clap on the back he gave her when she had nodded off, and good for her for quitting as his "receptionist."

I know that this slap on the back causes discomfort with a lot of viewers.
    As I see it, he doesn't slap Louisa, but the receptionist who has fallen asleep at work. Unfortunately, it happens that both are the same person.
    However, if you'd been caught asleep at work, I bet your boss wouldn't give you a pad on the back:)
    He had asked her a couple of times before if it'd be too much for her, and she says no. She could have admitted it and had a quiet time. He didn't ask her to step in.
    He is used to a highly organised environment at work, so a misplaced lab result is for him indeed reason enough to complain. Let alone falling asleep and not hearing the phone.
    After all, he is a doctor and there might be something serious at the other end of the line.
    Forum Member

What I found far more interesting was the following sentence: "Our challenge this season will be to force Louisa and the Doctor to live happily together with baby James."

I haven't heard this combination before: happily-together.
    I am definetely looking forward to that!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I know that this slap on the back causes discomfort with a lot of viewers.
    As I see it, he doesn't slap Louisa, but the receptionist who has fallen asleep at work. Unfortunately, it happens that both are the same person.
    However, if you'd been caught asleep at work, I bet your boss wouldn't give you a pad on the back:)
    He had asked her a couple of times before if it'd be too much for her, and she says no. She could have admitted it and had a quiet time. He didn't ask her to step in.
    He is used to a highly organised environment at work, so a misplaced lab result is for him indeed reason enough to complain. Let alone falling asleep and not hearing the phone.
    After all, he is a doctor and there might be something serious at the other end of the line.

I do think the slap was out of line no matter who it was intended for, but also, I agree that he was justified with being annoyed at his "receptionist" but also Louisa probably should not even have attempted it -- not only is it often difficult to work with one's significant other, but she was way too optimistic about her ability to cope at this point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I got the idea that these would be two new stories. I would buy them if they release them for Kindle.

The article makes it sound as if the first one will be based on S1 but the second will be brand new, where the "camera can't go" or some such.

Oh, and hello again, everyone. I've been away for a couple of weeks and wanted to catch up on the posts before jumping back in. Wow, that took quite awhile! Busy, busy time, and I'm loving the spoilers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think the slap was out of line no matter who it was intended for, but also, I agree that he was justified with being annoyed at his "receptionist" but also Louisa probably should not even have attempted it -- not only is it often difficult to work with one's significant other, but she was way too optimistic about her ability to cope at this point.

Hi, NewPark, I hate to disagree, but I've watched that scene many times, especially because there are a few people here who have described it as a slap, which doesn't fit at all with the personality of our nonviolent Doc. And it's not at all what I see. He touches her back to wake her and she jerks upward. Her sudden movement may be why some see a slap. But it's just a touch. Watch it without sound or in slow motion and you'll see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that's exactly the part I want to see!

If unconfirmed reports are correct, a certain couple are in bed right about now.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If unconfirmed reports are correct, a certain couple are in bed right about now.

Oh, lovely!!

After all, checking my London clock, it is 2:23 AM their time right now and they should be in bed. Sleeping, I presume?:p;)
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hi, NewPark, I hate to disagree, but I've watched that scene many times, especially because there are a few people here who have described it as a slap, which doesn't fit at all with the personality of our nonviolent Doc. And it's not at all what I see. He touches her back to wake her and she jerks upward. Her sudden movement may be why some see a slap. But it's just a touch. Watch it without sound or in slow motion and you'll see it.

That's what it always looked like to me also. She jumps upward at his touch because she's startled awake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    you girls are bad. I love it!! Sweet Dreams y'all from FL
  • whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think she will be wearing the same wedding dress this time, any ideas of an alternative outfit..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    That's what it always looked like to me also. She jumps upward at his touch because she's startled awake.

I've looked at it again and I think you and Biffpup are right. Glad to be corrected on this, as it was very jarring.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you Biff - that's exactly how have always seen it. And I have also watched it several times after hearing others refer to it as a slap/whack/whatever. I actually looks to me like a gentle touch - similar to the touch on James when he received the AJ news. Louisa of course is startled and I think that's what makes it looks the way it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched "Dry Your Tears" tonight and just have a few comments. The previous posts have pretty much covered it.

I've said this before and apologize for repeating myself. Bert sometimes stands in as DM's alter-ego and he does it again at the funeral when he says, "That woman meant everything to you". Completely true, but Martin couldn't say it. It's part of the sense of everyone in the show being a cog in the wheel or a part of the whole.

In the same scene, outside the church, when Louisa takes Martin's hand, watch that famous purse drop down to frame their clasped hands. It looks accidental, but it isn't. Holy cow, these people are smart (I mean Ben Bolt, MC, PB, CC, etc).

Doc's eulogy for AJ is horrible, of course, but I always laugh out loud (really) at the end when we see Mrs T at the organ having a "love it" reaction. I'll miss her so much. I guess it's possible we'll see her again late in S6, or maybe not. I wish someone would just ask her. It's driving me crazy. I love the Sally Tishell character.

Because young Pote, the son, is a fairly mild-mannered character played by a mild-mannered actor, I think I've missed one of the funniest lines. They arrive at the surgery to get the kid's back checked out. They're late (again). Dad says, "We had a sudden cremation." Son says, "It's not like it was spontaneous combustion."

Btw, to those of you in the states, didn't that horrible compound fracture that happened on live nationwide TV in the NCAA basketball championships make you instantly think of young Pote in Doc's office? Young, healthy male and an inexplicable fracture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the wedding, and this is just me sort of catching up, when MC says he doesn't want this show to become a soap opera, I wonder what on earth he's thinking. The constant will they-won't they of the DM-LG relationship IS a soap opera plot. If he wants the show to NOT be a soap, the trick is to just do it, which apparently they've now done, get 'em married, for God's sake, and then we can move on.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the wedding, and this is just me sort of catching up, when MC says he doesn't want this show to become a soap opera, I wonder what on earth he's thinking. The constant will they-won't they of the DM-LG relationship IS a soap opera plot. If he wants the show to NOT be a soap, the trick is to just do it, which apparently they've now done, get 'em married, for God's sake, and then we can move on.

I agree with you. It is time for a new paradigm, a new pattern for the show. They have the opportunity in this series to transform the show and set it up for a future. If they can do that, then this won't have to be the final series. I hope they have confidence and faith in their viewers that we will go wherever they take us, especially if it is in a new direction.

I want to see the positive and the negative parts of the characters. I want to better understand their motivations. I want a through line that makes sense. I think the characters went in a lot of confusing directions in series 5. Although I think that series has the most profound moments than the previous 4, there were some inconsistencies that frustrated me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Do you think she will be wearing the same wedding dress this time, any ideas of an alternative outfit..

I have to say I didn't much care for the non-wedding dress - too old-fashioned - but I understand they were looking for something to cover her deltoid tattoo. How many wedding dresses for young women have sleeves? As long as we're making predictions, want to bet on sleeves versus non-sleeves with airbrushed-out tattoo?
This discussion has been closed.