Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Do you think she will be wearing the same wedding dress this time, any ideas of an alternative outfit..

Funny you should ask as I had the same thought while making dinner. The dress was white so don't have a clue whether they'll nod to that convention and move her into something with a bit of color since she's been despoiled as they say.

But I would like to see her in the original dress just to sort of give the first non-wedding memories a nice resolution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I watched "Dry Your Tears" tonight and just have a few comments. The previous posts have pretty much covered it. ...

Doc's eulogy for AJ is horrible, of course, but I always laugh out loud (really) at the end when we see Mrs T at the organ having a "love it" reaction. I'll miss her so much. I guess it's possible we'll see her again late in S6, or maybe not. I wish someone would just ask her. It's driving me crazy. I love the Sally Tishell character.

Noticed the "love it" reaction, too, and just loved it.

Another thought while cooking dinner: Maybe the new pharmacist will have a short arc storyline that moves her in and then out again, making way for Mrs T to come back and take over once she's "cured". Just a thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Do you think she will be wearing the same wedding dress this time, any ideas of an alternative outfit..

OK, whale, you started it.
    Statesidefan chimed in.
    And myself.

What do the rest of you think?

I'm recording predictions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Statesidefan chimed in.
    And myself.

New wedding dress. The old one is jinxed.

Think she might use the old engagement ring just because it is Joan's mum and they both viewed Joan as a surrogate mother. But don't hold me to this one.
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I don't really second that.
    First, it doesn't really fit very well into the program schedule of ITV, methinks, especially as they started to split up the latest and last "Lewis" series into one hour time slots, too.

Second, except for the one-off experiment "On the Edge", they always had one hour time slots.

Third, I don't hope so, as "On the Edge" is my least favourite. Part of it, I guess, is that they had more time to develop the story and therefore lost a bit of the sharp edge they need to speed the story up, so that it fits into 45 min. I personally like those more.

Time to think like a TV exec.

The wedding episode will almost certainly be one of the most watched programs ITV will have all year. They are a commercial network so a two hour show pulling that many viewers means tons of £££'s and the cost per 30 seconds for the advertisers will be much higher for this particular episode becuase they all know it will draw alot of viewers. Not only that but it will probably win the night for ITV ratings wise which chucks a few more £££'s into the pot. A two hour rebroadcast of it over Christmas would bring in some extra cash, too. All this adds up to me that ITV would have absolutely no problem with the wedding episode being a two hour special.

Time is money in the TV biz and some time is worth much more than others. That 'On the Edge' episode (I believe) was essentially a slapped together special that ITV was using to cash in on the shows popularity over Christmas. I am guessing it was requested and commisioned by ITV and done on rather short notice for BP-they certainly did not take two years to write that one.

To me they have to show how Martin and Louisa decided to get married this time around, their discussions on what they want in their marriage and at their wedding and some wedding prep including meddling villagers/friends/relatives/dogs. They aren't just going to hop out of the car after driving back from getting JH out of Mrs. T's clutches and straight into wedding clothing then off to the church. BP is more meticulous than that plus if they did a rush job on it they would miss out on some good story lines. The expense they are going through with the wedding/reception (just from what we can glean) is something that would be wasted trying to cram it all into one 44 minute episode.

Sure, they could break it up into two one hour episodes but it makes more sense to me to do it as a two hour. The story would flow better and leave the rest of the series (episodes 2-8) set up to be life after marriage for Martin and Louisa.
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    MC had said about a year ago that they would start out that way. I think that the vast majority of DM fans have no idea what is happening in Cornwall right now, so I can't see them trying to deceive everyone.

I saw a tweet from an extra saying it was a long day but he had fun. He ended the tweet with "#NoSpoilers" so I suspect they made a big point of that to all the extras.

Extras have to sign a basic contract (permission to use video of them with no further compensation outside of what they were paid for the day, liability waivers, etc.) and I am willing to bet there was a non disclosure agreement in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rory Winton, featured in the first episode, who filmed DM yesterday and continuing today, says "the mist is clearing - it's a beautiful, sunny day 'on location'." I do hope we'll see some documentary or informal footage of this!
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory Winton, featured in the first episode, who filmed DM yesterday and continuing today, says "the mist is clearing - it's a beautiful, sunny day 'on location'." I do hope we'll see some documentary or informal footage of this!

Looks like they're at Tintagel today, so presumably the reception at Camelot Castle Hotel. Not seen much sun here in Delabole, but certainly the mist from earlier has lifted now.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am predicting that Louisa will wear the same wedding dress as in S3. She probably bought it from her own funds, and as we have seen throughout the series, it doesn't seem DM contributes to her wardrobe funds. If that was me, I would wear the same dress again. No, I don't consider it "bad luck" to wear it again, I would see it as the scheduled wedding in S3 was "too soon" after their engagement and they needed more time together. She is in a small fishing village where she has to make her salary stretch, and having a new wedding dress would make the villagers gossip as to where she got the funds to able to do this. If I read Louisa right, I don't think she would want the doc to buy her a new one. After all, she has carried that famous brown purse throughout the series.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Statesidefan chimed in.
    And myself.

Different dress. Not very frilly, with sleeves. Minimal veil, if any. Traditionalist that I am, I think some very light color, not bridal white. Not floor length -- mid-calf. Actually, I am describing the original dress, aren't I --- but still think it will be same in effect, but different dress.

she gets a gold band, as does he.

Best man -- has anyone seen Roger Fenn yet? or Chris Parsons? I'm guessing Chris Parsons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed the "love it" reaction, too, and just loved it.

Another thought while cooking dinner: Maybe the new pharmacist will have a short arc storyline that moves her in and then out again, making way for Mrs T to come back and take over once she's "cured". Just a thought.

OK -- maybe we need a prediction for Mrs. T. Will she show up as a chemist again, at some later point in the series, having somewhat recovered from her bout of Doc Martinitis? Or has she vanished for good into the same limbo as Pauline? My bet is on the latter. (I agree with everyone that she's a wonderful comedic actress, but I think they've wrung just about everything they could from that character and time to freshen up the cast a bit.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Prediction Louisa will wear the same wedding dress.

The wedding and reception will be a dream sequence, similar to the earthquake dream when ME and LG were together on the sunny hillside.

If it is LG's dream, it will have ME behaving as she would like him with both her and the villagers.

If it is ME's dream, it will have him behaving as he now realizes he must do to get along with her and the villagers where he will now have to be part of the community.

I think the reason for the reception is to show how they hope their future will be in Portwenn.

The show will proceed from that premise.

ME and LG will marry in the last 5 minutes of the last episode in a contrived way (can't imagine what) similar to the castle ending from Season 5.

Creative bunch of writers can pull this off and it will keep everyone hooked. They will see in the wedding and reception sequence how ME and LG can be happy together, but we will have to wait for it.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the Christening? Do you think that will occur before or after the wedding ? Just what will JH's last name be? What about Louisa? Somehow Louisa Ellingham doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps she will want to keep her maiden name for professional reasons or just because she is the Louisa I think I know.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »

The wedding and reception will be a dream sequence, similar to the earthquake dream when ME and LG were together on the sunny hillside.

If it is LG's dream, it will have ME behaving as she would like him with both her and the villagers.

If it is ME's dream, it will have him behaving as he now realizes he must do to get along with her and the villagers where he will now have to be part of the community.

I think the reason for the reception is to show how they hope their future will be in Portwenn.

ME and LG will marry in the last 5 minutes of the last episode in a contrived way (can't imagine what) similar to the castle ending from Season 5.

Creative bunch of writers can pull this off and it will keep everyone hooked. They will see in the wedding and reception sequence how ME and LG can be happy together, but we will have to wait for it.

No offense, but I hope to goodness you are wrong about everything except the wedding dress. If your prediction is right, it is definitely the end of the show. I hope they are clever enough to come up with something that moves away from the structure of the last 3 seasons. I just think it's time for something new.

I don't think she will wear the same wedding dress, she is a mother now and at a very different stage of her life than in series 3. She may have known she was pregnant then, but like Martin said, "It's different now that it's here.". But I have no preference for what she wears, as long as she looks good and doesn't look dowdy.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are testing the market for items of this nature which is why they are starting out with an established writer.

Send your story "The Third Time" to them as a premise for a novel and see what happens. It is an excellent story and fits within the 'DM universe'. If they were smart they would go the route that Paramount went with Star Trek fiction. Some of the authors of those novels started out as writers of fan fiction and as long as the stories were good and did not stray from the 'Star Trek canon' Paramount would pass them along to their publisher for their consideration.

Well, thanks for recommending my story, but we've got some good other ones to also recommend.

Yes, I was thinking of Star Trek novels exactly when I wrote that.

And, in reality, I would probably buy the episode novelized books, if the author did a good job, so I can see it may bring in some more money for them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am probably wrong but I would think they would have to establish the fact that a new proposal was made and accepted somehow-its too much of a jump from the closing scene of series 5 to a full blown church wedding/reception at the very beginning of series 6.

If I were a betting person I would bet that the season opener will be a two hour show. They can't cram all that stuff into one hour and have it make sense, especially considering the expense they are going through to shoot it.

Well, Adelie, considering how much they leave out of complete continuance of plot and characters, I think it would be completely fine and not too surprising if they skipped a formal proposal and with the audience assumed we could fill that blank in and went right to the wedding. That would work for me.

I would rather they visually connected they had sex dots, as an opening, as has been expressed here already; I can happily imagine the proposal! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »

Certainly what you described is possible, but :eek: and :mad: and :cry: sorry, I don't like it. Do you really think they would do that to us? I don't think I could take it. I'm going to stay latched onto MC's comment from last year in which he said the Doc and Louisa will marry and that that's pretty much where things start off in S6.

Oh, and about the dress, my prediction is that she'll wear a different one. I think Louisa got rid of the first one. Too depressing. I hope she does something different with her hair too. Just put it up or something. I thought that "do" from the non-wedding, in which her long hair is semi-sort of put up into a style that looks like short hair, was weird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, NewPark, I hate to disagree, but I've watched that scene many times, especially because there are a few people here who have described it as a slap, which doesn't fit at all with the personality of our nonviolent Doc. And it's not at all what I see. He touches her back to wake her and she jerks upward. Her sudden movement may be why some see a slap. But it's just a touch. Watch it without sound or in slow motion and you'll see it.

I agree with Biffpup. I've always been confused by folks say "slap". I think the sudden arising of LG has confused things; he touches her and she snaps awake. DM is verbally incredibly aggressive but physically he's a marshmallow and to hit LG is simply impossible to imagine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time to think like a TV exec.

The wedding episode will almost certainly be one of the most watched programs ITV will have all year. They are a commercial network so a two hour show pulling that many viewers means tons of £££'s and the cost per 30 seconds for the advertisers will be much higher for this particular episode becuase they all know it will draw alot of viewers. Not only that but it will probably win the night for ITV ratings wise which chucks a few more £££'s into the pot. A two hour rebroadcast of it over Christmas would bring in some extra cash, too. All this adds up to me that ITV would have absolutely no problem with the wedding episode being a two hour special.

Time is money in the TV biz and some time is worth much more than others. That 'On the Edge' episode (I believe) was essentially a slapped together special that ITV was using to cash in on the shows popularity over Christmas. I am guessing it was requested and commisioned by ITV and done on rather short notice for BP-they certainly did not take two years to write that one.

To me they have to show how Martin and Louisa decided to get married this time around, their discussions on what they want in their marriage and at their wedding and some wedding prep including meddling villagers/friends/relatives/dogs. They aren't just going to hop out of the car after driving back from getting JH out of Mrs. T's clutches and straight into wedding clothing then off to the church. BP is more meticulous than that plus if they did a rush job on it they would miss out on some good story lines. The expense they are going through with the wedding/reception (just from what we can glean) is something that would be wasted trying to cram it all into one 44 minute episode.

Sure, they could break it up into two one hour episodes but it makes more sense to me to do it as a two hour. The story would flow better and leave the rest of the series (episodes 2-8) set up to be life after marriage for Martin and Louisa.

Mad Men, first episode after almost two years, last Sunday night -- a two-hour episode. And it was absolutely packed with what had to be high-dollar commercials tailored expressly for Mad Men. Yes, I guess American TV bosses and their British counterparts might think differently, but still, I think a two-hour series opener sure could bring in the bucks, er, pounds. But, that said, I don't think they'll do it. It'll be a regular, one-hour ep. And they'll skip forward to the wedding. We won't see a proposal. We won't see any discussion of how this difficult couple will work things out. It will be assumed that the events at the castle were followed by a proposal, ignoring the fact that I WANT TO SEE IT! You see, part of the BP scheme of things is to drive me insane.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, Adelie, considering how much they leave out of complete continuance of plot and characters, I think it would be completely fine and not too surprising if they skipped a formal proposal and with the audience assumed we could fill that blank in and went right to the wedding. That would work for me.

I would rather they visually connected they had sex dots, as an opening, as has been expressed here already; I can happily imagine the proposal! ;)

Yep, great minds, so to speak. I agree with you. See my BP-driving-me-crazy post above. MC and PB sit around the breakfast table talking about ways to drive Biff insane. Oh, pardon! Bodmin! Let's drive Biff Bodmin (it's a short trip)!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad Men, first episode after almost two years, last Sunday night -- a two-hour episode. And it was absolutely packed with what had to be high-dollar commercials tailored expressly for Mad Men. Yes, I guess American TV bosses and their British counterparts might think differently, but still, I think a two-hour series opener sure could bring in the bucks, er, pounds. But, that said, I don't think they'll do it. It'll be a regular, one-hour ep. And they'll skip forward to the wedding. We won't see a proposal. We won't see any discussion of how this difficult couple will work things out. It will be assumed that the events at the castle were followed by a proposal, ignoring the fact that I WANT TO SEE IT! You see, part of the BP scheme of things is to drive me insane.

I think if ITV contracted for 8 episodes they probably meant 8 hours, not 9. So I don't think we'll see a two hour opener (and I thought Mad Man's opener was a bit bloated, but that's another story).

However, I agree with Adelie that they won't start right off with the wedding -- we will at least see the proposal. Or, if we start with the wedding, it may be an opening like On the Edge -- with a brief scene and then a flashback to "two weeks earlier" or whatever.

And keep in mind that they don't necessarily film in sequence. While the earlier episodes are more likely to be more polished and more camera-ready, they may move in between them depending on weather, committments of other actors, shooting scenes from different episodes at the same location at the same time, etc. So, although it's the first scene of which we have "real" information, I don't think it means it comes in the opening episode, or at least that it's the opening scene.

Another prediction, perhaps? Wedding will be a) first scene b) late in 1st episode c) last episode d) ME is showering and realizes that S4 and S5 were all a dream and the original wedding goes on as planned.

So, Biffpup, I think you're safe from Bodmin (for now).
    Forum Member
    Well, thanks for recommending my story, but we've got some good other ones to also recommend.

And, in reality, I would probably buy the episode novelized books, if the author did a good job, so I can see it may bring in some more money for them. :)

There are many good fan fics on the fan fiction archive that I would buy if published.

The average novel is 80k to 100k words, your story is about 60k. Would not take much fleshing out to bring it up to that.

Go ahead and give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that they send you very nice letter saying no thanks. The best that can happen is they say yes, send it off to the publisher and they buy it. If that happens I want 10%...or a free copy and a 1lb. ballotin of Godiva truffles to eat while reading it.:D
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Could it be the marriage and Christening could be done in the same ceremony? We know the Christening is being planned as an event so combining the two makes sense to me, both from a plot and production point of view.

CC's tatoo - I would like to see them do something with this - perhaps as a way to introduce some of LG's past.

I view the book deal as a bad omen - Acorn wringing the last bit of money out of something going on the shelf. Hope I'm wrong.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, that's how "50 Shades of Grey" came to being. You could be famous! And rich! :D
    Forum Member
    I guess we shall all find out, won't we.:) I am sticking to my guns on this one, though. They would not spend the kind of money they are on it to use as a 'flashback' or truncate it. The key in my mind to all of this was the post that kernow had to delete yesterday.

As far as the Mad Men opener goes...I am not a big fan of the show so I do not watch it-I lived it, don't need to see it kind of thing (if I never see or wear a Chanel suit with a pill box hat combo, anything with Hippy daisies on it or a Nehru jacket again I will be quite happy). Was there anything special happening in it, like a much anticipated wedding that fans have been waiting 3+ seasons to finally see, or was it just a melange of different storylines 'bloated up' to make it a two hour episode? There is a difference.

New Park: An episode is an episode. An episode that originally airs as a two hour can be broken into two one hour episodes for subsequent airings/syndication. In fact if originally airing as a two hour then segmentized as two one hour episodes that makes it an 'extra' episode=more money generated in syndication.
This discussion has been closed.