Age group of people who watch the show

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just curious as to what age is the audience that Strictly attracts.

I'm not even 20 yet and ADORE this show. I get excited every week but none of my friends watch it.

Is it more targeted at an older audience?

Comments

• Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becky245 wrote: »

I'm not even 20 yet and ADORE this show. I get excited every week but none of my friends watch it.

I think it's one of those shows that appeals right across the age ranges, but I do think, in general, it appeals more to girls and women than boys and men.

Hubby and son may watch bits and pieces but would rather do anything than watch every week and I'd rather they found something else to do because they keep trying to talk to me. :rolleyes:
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    I'm 35 & both my daughters (10 & 4) adore the show as much as me.
  • SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    I think it appeals to all ages, from a granny to the 30s and 40s and young children.

If you are asking who the voters are then, Id say they are the 20 somethings and 30 somethings mainly. I doubt many of the over 50s vote...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    I'm 35 & both my daughters (10 & 4) adore the show as much as me.

that is adorable. reminds me of myself 11 years ago watching it when I was 8.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 15 and I watch it and my younger sister does too, a lot of my friends don't watch it but personally I love it!
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch it, my parents watch it and my gran watches it so I'd say there is a pretty wide age range in my family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Becky245 wrote: »

I think Strictly has fans of all ages, and that it is aimed at everyone.

Although a lot of young people (i.e. about your age) don't seem to watch any TV at all on Saturday nights, because they are too busy going out! I don't think I know any teenagers who watch it.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son's 23 and I not only catch him watching, he even laughs at Brucie's jokes! :eek:
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    As others have said, it has mass appeal. Young children, over 60s, parents, grandparents, students, teenagers, gay men, amateur dancers, females, males... although it's mostly marketed as a family show with a few bits here and there for the 'grown ups' (see: every time Bruno tells a contestant that they must swing both ways/stop being bent/have sex with him)
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 33 and outrageously I seem to be the only person in my immediate family and in my workplace that watches Strictly? :confused:

Doesn't stop me from bending their ears summat chronic though! :D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thirteen and three quarters.
    I just measured it with a ruler.
  • SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 27, mam is 57, aunt is 47 and my cousin is 6 and we all love the show!
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess all ages
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a pre Christmas get together with the family & including myself, its all the aunts plus one uncle who watch it (ages 43-58).
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I am a 15 year old boy - been a fan since I was about 7 :p

Picked it up from my parents who used to watch it - they have never been as into it as I am though.

Also, none of my friends or siblings normally watch it - although strangely enough me, mum, dad and brother tuned in for last years final!
  • edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that it appeals to all ages :)
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 43 and I've been watching it since it first started, most of my friends watch it as well as my mum and my aunts. I think it appeals to all ages.
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people of all ages watch it but I wonder if the voting demographic is the same?
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it appeals to a wide range of ages - I love having chats with the children in my classes about it.
  • Traffic1326Traffic1326 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I`m 65, my wife is the same age and we watch since Strictly started.
    Because we live abroad, we can`t vote.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaraV1308 wrote: »
    I think it appeals to all ages, from a granny to the 30s and 40s and young children.

If you are asking who the voters are then, Id say they are the 20 somethings and 30 somethings mainly. I doubt many of the over 50s vote...

I'm sure you're right about it appealing to all ages, but I doubt you're right about the voting demographic. I can't think of any reason why voting would be determined by age, except that young children don't pay the phone bill and are therefore unlikely to be allowed to vote. I'm in the, ahem, over 50s age group and I vote most of the time; last year I voted for Pendledrama in the hope that she'd pull off at least one decent dance, and then stopped voting for her as soon as she had. I didn't mind who won last year and thought that Louis had it in the bag, so there was little point. On the other hand, I still shudder when I think of my phone bill the year Kara and Artem won - I voted like a demon. :o
  • Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me and my Uni frinds watched Strictly before we went out clubbing (or whatever else we did on Sat evenings) and I watch Strictly with my housemates now, of which presently two I lived with at Uni (so the trend is contiuned). Uni students def watch it, from remembering what conversations we had then (even if some pretended they weren't into it). My parents watch it, and I image lots of people in their 50s and older do also. And I have cousins in their teens or sixth form stage that love the show (as much as XFactor). That's why Strictly has prob lasted so long, as you can be any age to get hooked on it. And my younger cousin that is 13 votes on her mobile, as she has one, and that's really the only thing she votes on (tv wise, or at least I hope she doesn't waste money voting on other shows as it's her emergency credit).
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings?

Audience research?

Whatever next?
  • scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Ratings Thread on DS derek500 quoted the following from "Attentional".....

"First blood seems to have gone to Strictly Come Dancing, which nearly matched last year’s performance at this stage (9.9m/43.5%), with a stellar 9.3m (42.1%). The audience peaked at 10.6m (46.3%) at 7.50pm. As might be expected, the audience for the ballroom-dance show skews to the older age demographics – 53.9% of the audience were over the age of 65 – but it still drew above-benchmark Shares for younger viewers too: a 24.6% Share of Adults 16-24 was well up on the slot benchmark figure of 19.5%."
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    I watch it with my niece, she's 7 and I'm 40's. My parents also watch and they are in their 70's. Finally my son is at uni and they have it on in the common room.