'Presenteeism' in the work place

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are people's opinions on modern work practices?

I take that stance of: as long as the work gets done by its deadline, I don't care what time you come in, what time you go, if you do it at home or wherever.

However, many old school managers are very much of the opinion that people simply 'have to be sat there in the office' where they must do their work, with all the added distractions of working in an office, with phones ringing and people gossiping etc.

Do you think that, as a society, we're going to move more towards accepting homeworking as the norm where it doesn't pose any problems, and the idea of offices where everyone's crammed in, spreading germs, will eventually disappear?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I work for myself and contract for different companies - i find it easier working on site, if you're there you're visible and it's easier to stay involved.

Whilst i enjoy working from home at times, I find i work longer hours and feel the need to justify myself more - not through any pressure from anyone, just myself really - i like being visible and enjoy the company.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I think in many cases, the need for people to be actually in the office is pointless. As you say, as long as you get the work done, and are available for contact during office hours, you can work just as well from home, saving commuting time, energy and costs for the company. We really do still have a long way to go until we latch onto the benefits of the internet as a tool to replace the tradtional office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was going to be a Christmas-themed thread about office-based present prejudice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    I did too, and was going to mention how Chocolate Oranges are considered so blah as a prezzie these days and the white ones are just tacky.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenteeism is the opposite of absenteeism OP, it's where people come into work despite being ill and the problems that it causes (costing increasingly as much as it's opposite according to recent reasearch).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't be possible for me to come and go as I fancied, or work from home, so whether I have an old school manager or not that's how it will be.

The alternative is I could ask all the patients to come in early, check them in and tell them to look after themselves until it's their turn and redirect the phones to my mobile and carry a box of prescriptions on my back. Then I could. :D
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone from one extreme to another. My old job you had to turn up even if you were dying regardless of whether there was work to do and it was very hard to feel any loyalty because you've give it your all but then the boss would sod off at Christmas and rarely pay on time.

Now I am at a huge publishing house and we have flexitime. I feel far more inclined to get my work done and do a bit more. It's not presenteeism to me, but being treated like a responsible adult.

However my old experiences have given me a lasting legacy so I'd do my utmost to get to work rather than work from home even though I know I can, esp. in this weather.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curls2006 wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a Christmas-themed thread about office-based present prejudice.

Me too! (was about to post, I don't buy anyone anything! - some nicer ones get a card tho lol)

As for the original question. I'm all for the flexibility side of things, so long as it works both ways. Of course, it rarely does so I can see why some bosses insist on a set routine.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I take that stance of: as long as the work gets done by its deadline, I don't care what time you come in, what time you go, if you do it at home or wherever.

However, many old school managers are very much of the opinion that people simply 'have to be sat there in the office' where they must do their work, with all the added distractions of working in an office, with phones ringing and people gossiping etc.

Do you think that, as a society, we're going to move more towards accepting homeworking as the norm where it doesn't pose any problems, and the idea of offices where everyone's crammed in, spreading germs, will eventually disappear?

As a line manager I'm the same. That's why I get fed up with tittle tattle about my best and most productive people taking 20 minutes instead of 15, for their mid morning break. I'm not interested.

As long as they get their job done accurately and productively, I really don't care what they do the rest of the time. In fact I think it might compromise their work rate if I started carping on at them for petty infringements.
  • USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you have the kind of job which doesn't require any special equipment, contact with the public, contact with a product, or frequent collaboration with colleagues then offices are not needed.

However, I'm not sure what percentage of jobs would come into that category - at a guess I would say <10%.

I think that for most people working from home is not a practical option.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been working from home for about 15 years now........for most of that time although based at home i had to go places to do the work

Now it's nearly all done over the internet I hardly ever go out, expect for shopping...........I can go days or weeks without talking to anyone.........

It's great..............:p