Options

River Song's identity: A theory

WryipWryip Posts: 2,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know whether this has been mentioned before (apologies if it has), but does anyone think River Song could be the Doctor's Daughter?

Having rewatched the Series 5 finale, it got me wondering how could someone without a timelord's DNA fly the Tardis? We know the Master did in Series 3, but that is about it. I think for River Song to be the Doctor's wife is too restrictive for a series based on mystery, but what if River Song was Jenny. We know that the character was to be killed off at the end of the Doctor's Daughter but wasn't at Moffat's request, yet she hasn't been seen since. Why? It would also explain why she can fly the Tardis.

Also the good man River supposedly kills, does anyone think it will be Rory?

Comments

• Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    This theory as been speculated since series 4. Whilst anything is possible, I personally don't think it will be the resolution of River's story arc.

Moffat merely suggested they don't kill Jenny. But that was it, he didn't request she stay alive, he just suggested she could survive the shooting.

Dialogue between River and The Doctor, suggests something intimate, not necessarily his wife, but she clearly knows his real name and when Doc 11 said 'River I could Bloody kiss you' she replied 'Maybe when you're older'. Would his daughter say that? Perhaps misdirection by River?

As for the Master flying the Tardis. Well he has Time Lord DNA as he was resurrected on Gallifrey. River flying the Tardis, she says she was taught. This implies you do not need Time Lord DNA to do so. Other companions have shown the ability to control the Tardis in the past.

As for the good man she kills. Rory dying again would be the biggest let down in the history of Who. But it being the Doctor she kills would also be a let down unless there is a great big twist. They can easily have her kill the Doctor, but for the Doctor to continue. If the Doctor now has unlimited regenerations there is no reason that River doesn't kill Doc 800. We are never going to see it. :D

Personally I think River is somehow linked to the Time Lords. Trained by them and sent on a mission by the Time Lords during the Time War to execute The Doctor to prevent the destruction of Gallifrey. However, by the time she kills him the Time Lords no longer exist and she is imprisoned because nobody believes her. A bit of a crude description, but something along those lines.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the Alliance of Evil seemed to think nobody but the Doctor could fly the TARDIS this has never been the case in the past.

Other companions have flown the TARDIS without the Doctor being inside.

As to who River is, she won't be the Doctors Daughter.

The Doctors wife is too obvious (she may be but there's more to her than that). Amy's Daughter is a possibility but her being an Avatar of the TARDIS is my current guess (probably change in the future).
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River is
    Captain Jack Harkness in the female part of his cycle. Remember the Face of Boe was pregnant once!
    You heard it here first.;):D

Make a note of the time and date. I don't want anyone else pinching my idea and saying it was theirs, I know what you lot are like :D

Edit:
    The good man is of course, Jack. She killed him in a sense when she changed sex.

Though the theory falls down at the thought of
    Jack
    being called good.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wryip wrote: »
    I don't know whether this has been mentioned before (apologies if it has), but does anyone think River Song could be the Doctor's Daughter?

Having rewatched the Series 5 finale, it got me wondering how could someone without a timelord's DNA fly the Tardis? We know the Master did in Series 3, but that is about it.
    The Master is a Time Lord and therefore has Time Lord DNA. But in any case, numerous non Time Lords have been known to operate the TARDIS in the old series-it's obviously not necessary to be a Time Lord to fly it.
    I think for River Song to be the Doctor's wife is too restrictive for a series based on mystery, but what if River Song was Jenny. We know that the character was to be killed off at the end of the Doctor's Daughter but wasn't at Moffat's request, yet she hasn't been seen since. Why? It would also explain why she can fly the Tardis.
    There's no reason she couldn't fly it.

Also the good man River supposedly kills, does anyone think it will be Rory?
    Possibly, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    River is
    Captain Jack Harkness in the female part of his cycle. Remember the Face of Boe was pregnant once!

Make a note of the time and date. I don't want anyone else pinching my idea and saying it was theirs, I know what you lot are like :D

I quite like this theory, she certainly displays a lot of Jack's personality traits.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    River is
    That would create problems because if you subscribe to the theory that
    Jack is the Face
    then he/she/it
    cannot both die in the Library and in Gridlock.
    And yes,
    I know you're not serious!
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Doubt she is his daughter as she has referred to him as "my love" several times and it would be a bit strange for a daughter to call her father by that term. Doubt also that she is his wife or mother as that would be a bit obvious. She's not Romana as he would recognise her even if she had regenerated as TimeLords seem to be able to recognise each other in various incarnations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would create problems because if you subscribe to the theory that
    Jack is the Face
    then he/she/it
    cannot both die in the Library and in Gridlock.
    And yes,
    I know you're not serious!

LOL. I'd actualy forgotten about the
    death of Boe in Gridlock .
    Oh, well, scrub that one, then :(
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River is

Edit:
    The good man is of course, Jack. She killed him in a sense when she changed sex.

Jack
    being called good.

Maybe when she said a good man she actually meant to say...
    good in bed

;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Maybe when she said a good man she actually meant to say...
    good in bed

;):D

Wasn't the phrase
    a good man to many?
    So that would definitely be applicable :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Doubt she is his daughter as she has referred to him as "my love" several times and it would be a bit strange for a daughter to call her father by that term. Doubt also that she is his wife or mother as that would be a bit obvious. She's not Romana as he would recognise her even if she had regenerated as TimeLords seem to be able to recognise each other in various incarnations.

Unless they've been fobwatched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless they've been fobwatched.

The fobwatch thing has happened only twice in 48 years, but in fact, Time Lords have been shown not to recognize each other before. If they were automatically able to recognize each other, the Master's various not so cunning disguises in the old series would never have worked, but they frequently did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jack
    being called good.
    I'm sure Ianto would say he's very good ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    what if she is a physical form of the Tardis? We know the Tardis is alive and would know everything River song knows about the doctor etc.
  • Options
    revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what if she is a physical form of the Tardis? We know the Tardis is alive and would know everything River song knows about the doctor etc.

^ That isn't a bad idea actually, the Doctor has been teased a few times about his love for the tardis - Rose and Sarah Jane in School Reunion so there might be a link.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what if she is a physical form of the Tardis?

I wouldn't mind finding out if she's bigger on the inside. :D:o
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Song is
    The female alter ego of The Doctor, caused by an unintentional flux of organic metabolism through the severed hand that Jack preserved. Due to the Doctor still being going through the regenerative cycle when it was cut off it was able to "link" into the Doctors psyche in the same way The Dream Lord was able to in Amy's Choice. However, River is a Jekyll/Hyde personality of the Doctor and the meetings at various places that River mentioned in Silence of the Library was just places that the Doctor went to on his travels but not with River as River and The Doctor are one and the same! How else would River know his name?

That's my latest theory although it'll probably change come next week!
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Wasn't the phrase
    a good man to many?
    So that would definitely be applicable :D

She called the Doctor a good man to many, but the phrase about whom she killed was:
    the best man I've ever known
    . As for River being his daughter, I think it's safe to discount anyone with a familial link to him due to the sexily flirty banter. It would be extremely inappropriate to have that kind of banter were it to turn out that way. It is the BBC, after all.

One more thing. About only a Timelord being able to pilot a TARDIS... Not three episodes (or is it two?) before tha Alliance declare it as fact, we have Amy flying the TARDIS on her own. In Journeys Ebd, evryone in the TARDIS pilots it. Every companion in New Who has flown the TARDIS! Sometimes I wonder if people pay attention! (Can't do smileys on this phone, so imagine a roll eyes and a laugh) It's quite clear that The Alliance were led to believe this by whomsoever wanted to explode the TARDIS. I can't be the only one to have noticed these things... (again, imagine a laughing smiley)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Personally I think River is somehow linked to the Time Lords. Trained by them and sent on a mission by the Time Lords during the Time War to execute The Doctor to prevent the destruction of Gallifrey. However, by the time she kills him the Time Lords no longer exist and she is imprisoned because nobody believes her. A bit of a crude description, but something along those lines.

With regards to River, I've long held an idea that she'll be something to do with the return of the Time Lords and Gallifrey. Back in Silence in the Library just after Miss Evangelista is eaten the Doctor asks whats in her diary. When she replies "Spoilers" he asks her just who she is. She says "Professor River Song. University of..." and then the Doctor cuts in saying "To me. Who are you to me?" My first instinct made me think that this was important and that was why it was cut short so as not to give us too much information too early and believe it to be the University of Gallifrey. I still believe it will be important, whether its Gallifrey or somewhere else however, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The fobwatch thing has happened only twice in 48 years, but in fact, Time Lords have been shown not to recognize each other before. If they were automatically able to recognize each other, the Master's various not so cunning disguises in the old series would never have worked, but they frequently did.

Crap disguises and a low level perception filter. :D Problem is if he had a perception filter, he wouldn't need the crap disguise. Unless of course he just enjoys dressing up. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Crap disguises and a low level perception filter. :D Problem is if he had a perception filter, he wouldn't need the crap disguise. Unless of course he just enjoys dressing up. :D

For some reason, the idea of retconning new series ideas (particularly ones as overused as the perception filter) into old series stories really irritates me. The Master is a genius. I'm sure he has more than just the one gimmick up his sleeve.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anyone suggested that she might be the Masters daughter? now that would be a twist:D maybe the "good man" she killed was the master (not intentionally etc) as she could see that he was bad and she fell in love the the doctor...anyway another of the wild theories:)
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I think River Song is...

A completely new character to Who, whom we haven't been given the back story to just yet with no connection to past Doctors beyond 10.

Controversial I know!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For some reason, the idea of retconning new series ideas (particularly ones as overused as the perception filter) into old series stories really irritates me. The Master is a genius. I'm sure he has more than just the one gimmick up his sleeve.

I was joking. I agree with you, I think trying to adjust any inconsistencies between the old series and new is frankly unnecessary. I've never let them bother me as DW has always focussed on current stories, regardless as to whether they fit perfectly with previous ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I think River Song is...

A completely new character to Who, whom we haven't been given the back story to just yet with no connection to past Doctors beyond 10.

Controversial I know!:D

I agree with that and hope it is the case.