Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posted on his website today. So one of our favorite scenes was actually a story from his life! And involved the late, great Dr Sim!

http://www.minghella.com/doc-martin-trivia-1/
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I'm actually having second thoughts about this. Large crowds are unappealing to me, especially if the likelihood of seeing any filming (late June) is small. I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off to stay in Port Gaverne and dip into Port Isaac for a few hours just to say we were there and look at other areas of Cornwall for a couple of days (Tintagel, etc.)

I get the impression from some of your posts that one can barely move through the streets for all the people around. Is this actually the way it is?

Just my opinion, but Port Gaverne is about a 5 minute walk from PI and pretty easy to access. In fact, many of crew go to that pub after shooting to avoid the crowds. The crowds are their worst between 10 am and 4pm, so you can still come to PI in the morning and early evening and see the town and avoid the chaos. Also, apparently Mondays are the busiest and Fridays are lightest in terms of crowds, if that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I'm actually having second thoughts about this. Large crowds are unappealing to me, especially if the likelihood of seeing any filming (late June) is small. I'm wondering if we wouldn't be better off to stay in Port Gaverne and dip into Port Isaac for a few hours just to say we were there and look at other areas of Cornwall for a couple of days (Tintagel, etc.)

I get the impression from some of your posts that one can barely move through the streets for all the people around. Is this actually the way it is?

I didn't know you were planning a pilgrimage this season! I wouldn't discourage you, but for sure you will want some variety in your Cornish holiday. It would be pretty boring just to park yourself in Port Isaac for the duration, filming or no filming. There are main roads and there are little roads. I would find a base, somewhere along a main road (eg. Camelford) and do the commute in to the places along the little roads that you want to see (Tintagel, Boscastle, Port Isaac, Port Gaverne). And then if there is no filming going on and the charms of Port Isaac itself you feel are exhausted, and you want to take a longer trip to someplace nice like St. Ives, Porthcurno (for the Minack open air theatre), Padstowe or Fowey (rhymes with Joy), you don't have to crawl constantly out those little roads to do it. We are talking maybe a crowd of 100 people on the days I was there. Not enough to make you agoraphobic, but enough to make one of Port Isaac's narrow streets look like a snake which has just swallowed an egg. There is a music festival in Port Isaac at the end of May and there is always good music coming to St. Endellion church which is nearby. If you dote upon folk music like me, there is an informal event that runs in the Red Lion pub every three weeks or so called Mare's Tales and Mackerel Scales. If you can time your visit to coincide with one of those evenings, (find out exactly when they are from the Boathouse shop, right next to the school). it is a fabulously good time. Unfortunately the Fishermen's Friends who used to sing every Friday night in summer on the Platt are taking the year off due to a personal tragedy which befell one of the group members. Ian McNeice used to introduce them and a crowd gather for their open air concert of sea shanties. You can still buy their CDs at the Boathouse or the Pottery, as I did, much to my listening delight as I drove around Cornwall. I would not even attempt driving in the village of Port Isaac. Park your car in the car park (4 pounds 70 for 24 hours -- by midday on a filming day the carpark will be full and you'll be stuck taking your car into the village, so get there early) and walk the short walk along the coastal path into the village (take an umbrella or risk being shat upon my dozens of beady eyed seagulls who definitely take aim and do it on purpose for their sport). If you want to be closer than Camelford, St. Teath might be an option for accommodation. It is not on a main road but it offers you several options for getting out onto main roads going in different directions. The downside of not staying in Port Isaac itself is that, if you don't like driving after dark, you might not get to see the village at one of the most charming times of day (after nightfall), but I stayed late in the pub on several nights and then drove back to where I was staying (not that I drank and drove; I've a scruple about that). I actually found night driving in Cornwall less stressful as you can see the headlights of the oncoming traffic around the corner before they are suddenly in front of you, standing bumper to bumper. I definitely recommend a visit to Tintagel castle, but you need some knee cartilage to do it, and if you have it to begin with, you may not still have it when you're done! Strange recommendation for one in my line of work to offer, but I also found the witchcraft museum in Boscastle absolutely fascinating. It made sense of the high concentration of crystal and incense shops I'd been seeing in the villages. In June the likes of St. Ives and Fowey will be busy with English holiday makers, but I don't know if Port Isaac will have a similar surge in June vs. the way I saw it in April/May. Those coming to watch the filming will be a big part of its tourist trade this summer and the highest concentration of bookings will follow the highest concentration of outdoor filming days I would have thought. Do stop for the Sunday carvery in Par, on the way to Fowey, at the Ship Inn if you get the chance. Pengarrow bakery in Tintagel gets my award for best Cornish Pasty, and the haddock in the Port Isaac Take Away beat out several other more upmarket places in Port Isaac and not just on price. Bernie's in Wadebridge also has fine fish and chips. The Edge has a commanding position, popular curry nights and a connection with some of the cast and crew, but I used it mainly as my latte and wifi place, preferring the atmosphere of dining at the Mote or the Slipway in the heart of the village. Cornish cream teas, lots of options but the tea room in Camelford is a good one, avoid tea rooms in Padstowe; drink the beer instead (Tribute by St. Austell was my favourite, though there's a certain charm to wandering into a pub and saying "a pint of Doom please" (Doombar being the name of a local ale). This, friend, is the sum of all my wisdom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, cc.cookie, just can't agree it's blackmail. It is business. The farmer is in business--may even need the barn again. BP is in business--they know things change and have had to negotiate any number of arrangements for filming. And renegotiate prices for various things as the years and inflation go by.
    And sets are often built in easily moveable pieces so things can be rearranged as needed. Or moved if necessary. I doubt losing the barn would be a deal breaker for BP. But just my guess, needless to say.

Oops, sorry, Susie, I just posted something quite similar to what you said.

Great minds, right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Posted on his website today. So one of our favorite scenes was actually a story from his life! And involved the late, great Dr Sim!

Wow! The plot of one of our very favorite episodes came directly from his past! Makes me wonder if there aren't other plots that came from real life too. That's cool! Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member

Yes, very cool. What a great way to memorialise the name of someone who saved your life. We all owe the late, great Dr. Sim more than we ever knew.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you don't find when you spend the morning trawling twitter:

http://www.stars-portraits.com/en/portrait-231782.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks! Leannethemouse, what's a "chippy"?

I see that the same person who posted the twitter photo of MC with the basset hound followed up with another photo. Very cute. Here's the link:

https://twitter.com/alexhughes0/status/331735458675585024/photo/1

A "Chippy" is a fish and chip shop :)

I also found this, all I could spot is Penhale and Ruth.
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/331805057651703808/photo/1

Found these too https://www.facebook.com/Donna.Louise.Stevens/posts/10200568074377118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

He needs a haircut!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A "Chippy" is a fish and chip shop :)

I also found this, all I could spot is Penhale and Ruth.
    https://twitter.com/oldschoolhotel/status/331805057651703808/photo/1

Found these too https://www.facebook.com/Donna.Louise.Stevens/posts/10200568074377118

Thanks. I should have guessed fish and chips.

Glad to see Ruth. I think this is the first shot of her we've seen so far this season.

There's Doc and Bert at the chemist. Look, the public has been allowed quite near in this scene. Wish I was in that crowd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Sorry

But I think this original tweet was a joke...

Just doesn't add up for me :confused:

I hope so!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    One more, from Twitter. Gosh his legs are lovely :cool:
    https://twitter.com/amyjenkin/status/331818565831385088/photo/1

Here is another one from Facebook. I think I see DM and a guy is holding a doll... could be a Doc and James scene at the chemist?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151480322469902&set=pcb.10151480324569902&type=1&theater
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes it is business if the rate goes up by a sensible amount.

Of course!!! I can't find the original post but it was someone who lives in PI who said that the rent was set to rise after the current rental had expired by some phenomenal amount.

Even if it goes up by a phenomenal amount I guess it is still "business" either party can agree not to proceed. :)

Manly council had the Australian Beach Volley Ball competition on their beach for years and years. One year they increased the beach rental that they were charging by 3 times the amount. The Australian Beach Volley Ball Competition organisers decided to move the competition to the Gold Coast where the beach fees were half the amount they were paying the year before the rent went up by 3 times. They have remained there ever since and are pleased that they can provide a better competition with the money that they have saved on rental.
    Manly council have missed out on a massive tourist attraction and other side benefits by being too greedy.

But we don't know the details - the barn owners might want the barn back for their own use so they have put up the rate to a level that they are prepared to accept but they really want the use of the barn back.

This is something BP probably could have seen coming. I don't think it's that big a deal in the whole scheme of things - just an inconvenience.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and it wasn't until I read your views on LG and re-watched s4 and s5 that I saw LG's snippiness. :)

There could be any number of reasons why people have dropped out but I bet as "showtime" gets closer there will be more and more people (from UK and elsewhere) returning to the forum for more healthy discussion. :)

Which is wonderful! It was nice to see the Forum "creator" show up and I love others popping in, too. A clear case of "the more the merrier"! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, cc.cookie, just can't agree it's blackmail. It is business. The farmer is in business--may even need the barn again. BP is in business--they know things change and have had to negotiate any number of arrangements for filming. And renegotiate prices for various things as the years and inflation go by.
    And sets are often built in easily moveable pieces so things can be rearranged as needed. Or moved if necessary. I doubt losing the barn would be a deal breaker for BP. But just my guess, needless to say.

Yes, you are right. My son (an accountant) just told me the same thing. He told me I'd have to toughen up if I was in business. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you were planning a pilgrimage this season! I wouldn't discourage you, but for sure you will want some variety in your Cornish holiday. It would be pretty boring just to park yourself in Port Isaac for the duration, filming or no filming. This, friend, is the sum of all my wisdom.

Thank you for all that info. I have kept a copy for when I eventually get to PI. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member

Um......yeeeaaaahhh......:confused:

I'm pretty sure that's Isaac Mizrahi.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How cool is that!!!! Peter Cronk, my favorite non-regular character.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you are right. My son (an accountant) just told me the same thing. He told me I'd have to toughen up if I was in business. :rolleyes:

The accountant I had to hire when I bought a business told me the same thing, too. In fact, he always told me when I had to raise my prices. Thank heaven for the honest man he was who watched my bottom line. I was so young and green then and just always wanted to make my customers happy. But he helped me stay solvent and in business, and I could make the customers happy, too. Good times! :cool::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, very cool. What a great way to memorialise the name of someone who saved your life. We all owe the late, great Dr. Sim more than we ever knew.

I'll raise a pint to that!!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, sorry, Susie, I just posted something quite similar to what you said.

Great minds, right?

Yes, Biff, we do seem to run parallel tracks of mind a bit. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no, Shop Girl, I'm afraid you may suffer from delusional romantic attachments often associated with an excessive intrusiveness into the life of the object of irrational affection.

:D:D:D

Good one, Biff! I'm so jealous I didn't think of it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pic.

One question: are pointy-toed shoes actually still in fashion? They look awfully uncomfortable.

someone posted a picture on the FB page Martin Clunes Doc Martin Fan Group of a "baby" MC, looking about 20, and he seems to be wearing the very same wristwatch.

They were all over the younger men in London last year when I was there. Some were so pointed and upturned that it seemed almost comical to me. Don't know how long that trend has been on though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    People, people: Let's not set up a Brit vs. American thing here. Or next you know, we'll have to take on Australia, and after that who knows what other country might pop up ! QUOTE]

Hi

Can anyone see/hear me out there ?

I am one Brit waving and dusting off the Welcome mat !

Did no-one read my earlier post ?

I LOVE this forum with all its international meeting of minds

Variety is the spice of life :)

I saw your earlier post and appreciated it. Just didn't respond because sometimes I need to take a break and not overdo it. (Kind of like my last 5 or 6 posts in a row!)
This discussion has been closed.