race for life rant.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
Don,t you think that "Race for life" is sexest after all men can catch cancer as well as women. So don,t you think that there should be a race for life for men?

Comments

• SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could start one in your area?
  • bradleyspencer1bradleyspencer1 Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I could understand if it was a race for breast cancer (the numbers of men getting that are miniscule), but it isn't, so it seems highly sexist to me. No doubt someone will be in soon with some logic to argue that it's not sexist though.
  • RachaleRachale Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I agree. I could understand if it was a race for breast cancer (the numbers of men getting that are miniscule), but it isn't, so it seems highly sexist to me. No doubt someone will be in soon with some logic to argue that it's not sexist though.

even if it was just for breast cancer, men can still lose mothers/partners/sisters etc. to it
  • QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does one catch cancer?
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    But there is one!
  • RachaleRachale Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    sarahcs wrote: »
    But there is one!

fair enough, sorry clearly missed your previous post

Maybe this one should be more promoted, as race for life is well known, but this (i find) isn't as publicized
  • BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the rant just that men don't run in the race?
    As long as the money goes to a cancer charity, surely it doesn't matter who does or doesn't run?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men are also more than welcome to come along to the events to support the female runners. We are also very keen to welcome guys along as volunteer marshalls and race helpers at the events. See http://supportus.cancerresearchuk.org/GetInvolved/Volunteering/Event_volunteering/227

The Run 10K events will also be launched for this year shortly which are ideal for male runners or people who want something a bit longer than 5K http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/10k/

So please don't rant - find something that fits with your lifestyle and join in instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I agree with the last post, there are 10k ones that anyone can run in - and, are more suited to men runners, the race for life is only 5k and the money raised doesn't just go towards breast cancer, it raises money for Cancer Research UK - i.e. all types. They just happen to do Race for Life as a women only event.
    If you are that irked about not being able to run on Race for life, they are always looking for volunteers to help on the day and if you go to their website you can find out more info www.raceforlife.org.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's Run For Moore.

Talk to Roger :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    How does one catch cancer?

Well at least one form, cervical cancer, is triggered/enabled by a virus.
    The really sad thing is it would be really simple to immunise the population and basically get rid of it within a generation (like, say, smallpox). The problem? The virus is basically an STD so you need to immunise both sexes against it before they become sexually active but some idiot parents think that there is something wrong with this so there is unlikely to be enough coverage eradicate it.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the problem is charities have a rough time as it is making money so they have to come up with unique events that are very well targetted to maximise fund raising potential, and this particular event is one of those. Like others have said, if you're passionate about making some money for charity or supporting them, there are plenty of other events that could accomodate you.
  • TrevorFowlerTrevorFowler Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Men are also more than welcome to come along to the events to support the female runners. We are also very keen to welcome guys along as volunteer marshalls and race helpers at the events. See http://supportus.cancerresearchuk.org/GetInvolved/Volunteering/Event_volunteering/227

The Run 10K events will also be launched for this year shortly which are ideal for male runners or people who want something a bit longer than 5K http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/10k/

So please don't rant - find something that fits with your lifestyle and join in instead.

Where to start? Well, here goes:

If men are not welcome to take part, it is double standards not to say patronising that they are told they can marshall and help out in other ways. If the presence of the likes of me is intimidating for you all, then I don't want to be involved at all and that includes my money! I'm not giving it to someone who is going to walk round whilst pushing a pram as they can now do this year. I'd rather give my money directly to CRUK.

Race for Life does not (at least in the past) allow boys. So sons cannot "run" with their mothers - and conversely, daughters cannot take part in Run for Moore. Children of both genders cannot take part in 10k events, so there is no event that can take the whole family.

Other events of this nature have an element of competiveness and I would imagine most runners beyond the level of beginner are going to expect at least accurately measured courses and some official timing.

If the priority in Race for Life is to generate maximum revenue for cancer research, excluding half of the population is not the way to do it. That objective appears to have been overidden by a rather self-indulgent "sisters together" extravaganza.

CRUK has yet to answer my email as to why only one Run for Moore event is being held this year. I was hoping to do Manchester as there was one held there in 2008. I cannot get to Blackheath without spending a great deal of time and money getting there and back.

As for Race for Life, you can keep it as I'm NOT invited!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So guys are unhappy about events that raise money for money for charity because they feel discriminated against? Sheeesh. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=TrevorFowler;30826907

As for Race for Life, you can keep it as I'm NOT invited![/QUOTE]

Thank goodness for that.....
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    It pee's me off that only women are allowed to take part in the race for life. My Auntie died a few years ago of breast cancer and my sister's both signed up to do it. I really wanted to do it along side them and was quite upset when I realised I wouldn't be able to. Just because only women get breast cancer doesn't mean it only effects women you know. To be honest I think it's thoughtless at best and disgraceful at worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    It pee's me off that only women are allowed to take part in the race for life. My Auntie died a few years ago of breast cancer and my sister's both signed up to do it. I really wanted to do it along side them and was quite upset when I realised I wouldn't be able to. Just because only women get breast cancer doesn't mean it only effects women you know. To be honest I think it's thoughtless at best and disgraceful at worst.

You don't actually know what Race for Life is about... do you?
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit it does bug me a little, but what bugs me more is one of the comments in this thread:
    chisches wrote: »
    there are 10k ones that anyone can run in - and, are more suited to men runners, the race for life is only 5k
    Why can't a bloke opt for 5k over 10? Why is 10k more suited to male runners?

And what about those going through gender reassignment? At what point during the surgical procedure are they allowed to join / excluded from joining (delete as appropriate re: the direction of the sex change)?

I'm never likely to run given my CFS, but it's something that's always struck me.
    Forum Member
    Wiz Net wrote: »
    So guys are unhappy about events that raise money for money for charity because they feel discriminated against? Sheeesh. :(

Would you feel discriminated against if the genders were reversed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I am not wanting to come across as 'patronizing' the OP asked a question and I was giving my 'personal opinion' which everyone is entitled to differ on, life would be boring if we all thought the same thing.
    As other people have said there are plenty of other races that you can participate in to raise money for Cancer Research, you could even do the marathon next year on their behalf, so I can't understand the negativity. I was stating again in my 'personal opinion' that as a woman I would rather run a shorter distance, and that a 10k one would be in my thought, more suitable for a guy as they can run further, so Wok Station I don't know why this 'bugs' you.
    Can't see why people are being snipey and negative for no reason. All I am interested in is raising money for Cancer Research UK in memory of my dad who passed away aged 45 from various types of cancer.
    :mad:
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was stating again in my 'personal opinion' that as a woman I would rather run a shorter distance, and that a 10k one would be in my thought, more suitable for a guy as they can run further, so Wok Station I don't know why this 'bugs' you.

You really can't see how saying that one length of race is suited to men rather than women could bug someone? Honestly? You also didn't express it in a way that looked like "personal opinion" - you made it appear as though it was a fact that 10k is better suited to men.

Even when I was fit(ter) and well, a 10k run would have killed me. 5k? Manageable. See, I'm not the physical type. I'm a geek, through and through.

The reason it "bugs" me is because you've basically claimed men are superior to women in terms of ability to run distance - by inferrence making women out to be inferior because they can only do half the distance (not the actual words you said, but this is the end result if we follow the logic of your words).

Also, Race For Life is the biggest "cancer run" in the country. I may well want to take part with my partner to memorialise my father and my partner's parents, all of whom were lost to cancer, but I cannot simply because I have a penis.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Can't see why people are being snipey and negative for no reason. All I am interested in is raising money for Cancer Research UK in memory of my dad who passed away aged 45 from various types of cancer.
    what`s stopping you? race for life isn`t the only to raise money for cancer, there are countless other fundraisers you can take part in.
    Forum Member
    I am not wanting to come across as 'patronizing' the OP asked a question and I was giving my 'personal opinion' which everyone is entitled to differ on, life would be boring if we all thought the same thing.
    As other people have said there are plenty of other races that you can participate in to raise money for Cancer Research, you could even do the marathon next year on their behalf, so I can't understand the negativity. I was stating again in my 'personal opinion' that as a woman I would rather run a shorter distance, and that a 10k one would be in my thought, more suitable for a guy as they can run further, so Wok Station I don't know why this 'bugs' you.
    Discrimination on the basis of gender is far from "no reason". The issue here is that if the event is supposed to be for charity then there is even less justification for barring half the population from actively participating in the events.

If this was not gender but race, the attitude by some people would equate to "We can discriminate against your racial group because we feel intimidated by you, but there are other organisations who don't, so go there!".
  • zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where to start? Well, here goes:

If men are not welcome to take part, it is double standards not to say patronising that they are told they can marshall and help out in other ways. If the presence of the likes of me is intimidating for you all, then I don't want to be involved at all and that includes my money! I'm not giving it to someone who is going to walk round whilst pushing a pram as they can now do this year. I'd rather give my money directly to CRUK.

Race for Life does not (at least in the past) allow boys. So sons cannot "run" with their mothers - and conversely, daughters cannot take part in Run for Moore. Children of both genders cannot take part in 10k events, so there is no event that can take the whole family.

Other events of this nature have an element of competiveness and I would imagine most runners beyond the level of beginner are going to expect at least accurately measured courses and some official timing.

If the priority in Race for Life is to generate maximum revenue for cancer research, excluding half of the population is not the way to do it. That objective appears to have been overidden by a rather self-indulgent "sisters together" extravaganza.

CRUK has yet to answer my email as to why only one Run for Moore event is being held this year. I was hoping to do Manchester as there was one held there in 2008. I cannot get to Blackheath without spending a great deal of time and money getting there and back.

As for Race for Life, you can keep it as I'm NOT invited!

http://www.doitforcharity.com/doitforcharity-5k-manchester-run-2009.aspx?c=35773&ad=charitypage You could do this one.