GB will definitely lose again with "My Turn"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
Forum Member
Why didn't Gary Barlow get the job of composer instead of Andrew Lloyd Weber who has composed yet again another weak non melodic dullard.I can understand why it took 2 hours to compose and what a waste of effort to recruit an American lyricist;is that the best she can come up with and are we to believe that no one in the whole the country could have writtern a better song.Why do we bother ? The song is suitable as filler for one of Andrew's musicals and as ususual changes key towards the end but drones on like chinese water torture until we can take no more of the relentlees repeating of the chorus (how much was the lyricist paid?).Stick to musicals please Andrew.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Lets face it, whatever song we produce, or whomever sings it, we are going to lose out. Eurovision has been a farce for a long time and even though it is a farce, I would like to see the U.K. actually enter with something good, even if to prove we are capable of decent music. Unfortunatley, this year is no different to last, or the year before.

The BBC just cashed in on it with the reality show format.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I agree.

EUROVISION DOES NOT WANT POP!

what part of this do people not understand?
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "GB"? "My Turn"?

The song has generally be well recieved online by people from around Europe and this kind of song has done very well at Eurovision in the past. IMO it's certainly the best song we've sent since 2002 when we came 3rd.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    iHelix wrote: »
    Lets face it, whatever song we produce, or whomever sings it, we are going to lose out. Eurovision has been a farce for a long time and even though it is a farce, I would like to see the U.K. actually enter with something good, even if to prove we are capable of decent music. Unfortunatley, this year is no different to last, or the year before.

The BBC just cashed in on it with the reality show format.

Entirely agree.

We could send Father's Ted and Dougal in with "My Lovely Horse" and it wouldn't affect our position as it's all political now!

We seem to be one of the few countries that actually vote for the song rather than who we like and our voting last year showed that
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't believe we were beaten a couple of years ago by those who sang the song with the chorus 'We are the winners, of Eurovision!' Can't remember which country it was. Latvia or something. This was the moment we should have pulled out of it forever.
  • MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are 40 countries in it, so we should expect to win once every 40 years, last time was 1997 so we are not due until 2037.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    I'm sceptical about political voting. Who here thinks 'Ooh, I like Norway, so I'll vote for them even if they're entry is crap?' or 'Russia control our oil, so we'd better vote for them in Eurovision!'.
    It doesn't happen. I think 'neighbourly voting' is actually a mixture of diaspora voting (and I daresay there are lots of serbians in croatia etc), promotion before the event and similar music tastes in neighbouring countries. Also, many countries are annoyed with us because we don't take Eurovision seriously enough for them. In the East, it's a prestigious music event, in the UK, it's a bit of fun and lots of people don't like that, and have decided not to vote for us until we start taking it seriously.
  • Smile PolitelySmile Politely Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    People constantly drone about how if we sent a really good song it would still flop. Well how do you know if we haven't sent a good song for at least 10 years?.

With a really good song we could make top ten easily. Anyone who honestly believes we'd still be coming bottom 5 with a decent entry is deluded.

Oh and Jade's song is garbage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The UK will loose with "My Turn". Fortunately we're sending Jade signing "My Time" so that shouldn't be a problem this year ;)
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Turquoise wrote: »
    I'm sceptical about political voting.

So am I. These last two years, with all the allegation of bloc voting, if you'd removed the votes of the newer countries (that were supposedly deciding the winner by voting for one another) and only counted the 'traditional' Eurovision country's votes...the result was virtually the same.

Try it this year and see.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    People constantly drone about how if we sent a really good song it would still flop. Well how do you know if we haven't sent a good song for at least 10 years?.

With a really good song we could make top ten easily. Anyone who honestly believes we'd still be coming bottom 5 with a decent entry is deluded.

Oh and Jade's song is garbage.

Quite. Why does the UK general public persist in expecting to get votes for our songs when we don't think enough of them to make them chart hits ourselves?
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    Entirely agree.

We could send Father's Ted and Dougal in with "My Lovely Horse" and it wouldn't affect our position as it's all political now!

We seem to be one of the few countries that actually vote for the song rather than who we like and our voting last year showed that

Er... actually if you'd have watched it last year and the years since televoting was introduced you'd have seen that we consistantly gave Greece, Cyprus and Turkey high points thanks to the Greek and Turkish disporas in the UK.

I don't understand why everyone thinks it's so political these days. Yes there is some influence in the voting but at the end of the day, you can't expect the rest of Europe to vote for trash like Even If and Flying the Flag For You just because we've been taking part in the contest for decades! Admit it, non of the entries we've sent recently have been songs that you wouldn't skip over if they came up on your iPod.

And people seem to convieniently forget that Yugoslavia took part in the contest for decades and were constantly on the recieving end of political voting. Now the regime (and other regimes) is over and people finally want a bit of independence. Naturally they're going to want to vote for countries that they have some links to: I know I've voted for Ireland in the past for that reason (due to my heritage). We just can't stand it because now, after 50 years we're on the recieving end!

If eastern countries want to put effort into their songs I really don't see why they should be critised for doing so: it's a competition, people like to do well at competitions. If we don't want to take it seriously then I don't see why we should blame others for our poor results.

But thankfully we are taking it seriously this year, and out of the 11 entries so far selected from across Europe ours is actually one of the better entries.

EDIT: Your original comment: "We seem to be one of the few countries that actually vote for the song rather than who we like and our voting last year showed that"

Ok, here's who we gave our points to in the final and the reasons, IMO, why we gave these points:

12 points to Greece - Dispora/good song, English
    10 - Latvia - Novelty/English/dispora to a degree
    8 - Turkey - Dispora (good song but if it represented any other country we wouldn't have given it points)
    7 - Norway - Good song/English/performed last on night so fresh in everyone's minds
    6 - Iceland - Good song/English
    5 - Ukraine - Good song/English
    4 - Poland - Dispora/English
    3 - Denmark - English (I'm clueless about this, it was a terrible song)
    2 - France - Novelty/English
    1 - Spain - Novelty

So basically we voted for some good songs as long as they were in English (meaning the beautiful Portugese song and the superb Bosnian song missed out), two novelty songs and one decent song that wasn't in English but voted for becuase it was from Turkey.

We don't vote for the song, we vote for the ones in our language or the ones that make us laugh. We should learn from Europe and open our minds to songs in other languages. I'm grateful that this year's voting is a 50/50 split between televoting and juries. Finally we'll be giving points to more countries that deserve them!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. The UK will loose with "My Turn". Fortunately we're sending Jade signing "My Time" so that shouldn't be a problem this year ;)
    Thank God, I thought I was in the wrong. Can't believe nobody else has commented on it.
  • Love BearLove Bear Posts: 35,754
    Forum Member
    Agree with OP, Gary Barlow would have been an excellent choice for composer. Whilst there is no denying that ALW is a genius, his forte field is musical theatre.

Mind you, OP, there's oodles of other threads on this too!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I think this thread just goes to show how much a lot of British people seem to be affected by "Wogan-itis"

It's crap anyway and it's all political. Let's forget the whole bloody thing.

When in fact what people fail to realise is that with many new countries coming into the competition, they're trying to show off all the great music of their nations. We however turn a blind eye to this and send any old tat. God knows what these other countries are thinking about us because of that.

For the one year in a long time that we actually have a song written and composed by internationally well-known writers (OK the lyrics are a bit dodgy but that's not exactly life-threatening), why does the nation feel the need to slate the hell out of it? Christ, the news of Lloyd Webber writing the song has been a big hit all over Eastern Europe. Can't we try a little optimism, maybe?

Out of 11 already selected songs this year, a lot of reactions across the Internet from fans and music lovers have been generally mixed. Only the UK's entry has actually had a lot of positive comments from people across Europe. The only criticisms coming from... guess who? Anyway, you won't be voting for your own song anyway so stop putting it down so much and let the rest of Europe decide.

What's more is that the notion of political voting has been addressed this year with the professional juries coming back into play. Throw a couple of globally known songwriters into the mix and you actually have in fact one of the best UK entries in years.

Come on, you honestly can't have thought Scooch or flippin' Andy Abraham would've actually won could you?

And how do I know the point of this thread is for the absolutely clueless? "GB" doesn't even take part and "My Turn" isn't even the song. Maybe know your facts before you start slating the thing?

And come on, get behind it and quit ya moanin'!!!
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The "We Are The Winners" chant was by Lithuania. I loved that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    So am I. These last two years, with all the allegation of bloc voting, if you'd removed the votes of the newer countries (that were supposedly deciding the winner by voting for one another) and only counted the 'traditional' Eurovision country's votes...the result was virtually the same.

Try it this year and see.

I think you should rephrase what you said there, and put 'last year' instead of 'this year' - remember in the final that 50% of each countries votes will be decided by a jury made up of music experts - the other half decided by televote. (In other words, if you did what you said to do this year there may be a different winner)
  • EPYEPY Posts: 6,396
    Forum Member
    edit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    "We are the weiners of Eurovision! We are, we are!" :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALW got the answer to why we do so bad from a Russian. You send unknown poor acts with poor songs. The Uk and USA are the only countries in the world with a pop industry, when we send the acts we do the rest of Europe assume we aren't interested because they know we can do so much better. I'm undecided on "My Turn" think it needs some tweaking and although they aren't brilliant the twins would probably do better than anyone else. What a big opportunity gone, or is this just a ploy by the BBC to get the phone revenue and maintain interest in a dead donkey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The "We Are The Winners" chant was by Lithuania. I loved that :D

Me too.

I rememeber when they first came on I thought it'd be an Il Divo sort of thing. Then it started and I went:D:D:D
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    "We are the winners! Of Eurovision! We are, we are!" :D:D
    The Russians (again) had the right idea in 2003 sending a pop act who even had a No 1 hit over here (TATU), they should have won with the superb Ne Ver.
  • Harkins63Harkins63 Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjc2007 wrote: »
    "We are the weiners of Eurovision! We are, we are!" :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T9qrO92xDpA

and my particular favourite:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLUDKospzc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does everyone keep calling it "My Turn"? It's called "My Time" and anyone who had actually heard the song would know that, since it's sung over and over and over and over and over... :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    Why does everyone keep calling it "My Turn"? It's called "My Time" and anyone who had actually heard the song would know that, since it's sung over and over and over and over and over... :confused:

I thought it was "My Turd" :p

..and I'll stand proudddd :D