Lone Star (US Pace)

MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
Forum Member
Well, there's a thread for The Event and even one for Hawaii Five-O in this forum, but not one for the best new American show that premiered on Monday night. The first episode of Lone Star, on Fox, was far better than what either The Event or Hawaii Five-O offered as debut episodes. It isn't science fiction and it isn't a cop show, so I am not sure how many people here will want to take a look at Lone Star, but I thought I would start this thread to encourage people to give the pilot a try.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really, really wanted to watch it, but looking at the viewing figures it's looking unlikely they'll end up airing, let alone making all of the 13 episodes ordered and I can't be doing with another show that gets cancelled before being able to satisfyingly conclude.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    The premise of this show sounds quite good, so I think that I shall give the Pilot episode a watch tonight.

Thanks.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Eliott256 wrote: »
    I really, really wanted to watch it, but looking at the viewing figures it's looking unlikely they'll end up airing, let alone making all of the 13 episodes ordered and I can't be doing with another show that gets cancelled before being able to satisfyingly conclude.

Can't say I am surprised by the low ratings. This is "quality drama" and there is a reason why this kind of thing in America exists on cable, where the support of a niche audience is enough to support a show. The networks have to be more populist.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    I haven't watched it yet, but I intend to.

Also not surprised with the low numbers. Putting it up against Dancing With the Stars and Two and a Half Men was bad enough, they pulled in in excess of 35m between them. Further to that though, the premiere of The Event also pulled in 11m.

Quite simply there wasn't much of an audience left to watch sadly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Just watched and enjoyed that. Interesting premise and looking forward to see where this goes.

On another note, this is an odd show for the Fox network isn't it! its been a while since FOX have had a proper drama series (and by proper meaning pure drama without the Soap suds or the procedural / cop / hospital angle to it). Think the last pure drama that aired on FOX was probably Party Of Five and its ill-fated spin off Time of Your Life and that's going back a bit! Agree with what most out there are saying in that this show seems to be more of a cable-show in feel and theme and would perhaps stand a better chance at survival on one of the cable nets.

Ratings for the opener haven't been too good apparently and its not good that FOX has placed this on a really competitive night. Guess it stood the same chance as the others considering there were loads of debuting shows on the same night!

Anyway, hoping this show gets a proper chance. I like the concept.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    'Lone Star' faces cancellation after one episode

Now 20th Century Fox can claim to have produced both a Death Star and a dead "Star."

That the Fox drama "Lone Star" is on death watch is no surprise after its disastrous debut Monday, the first night of the fall TV season.

But unlike most series that experience television's ultimate indignity -- cancellation after one episode -- "Star" isn't being ushered out of existence to schadenfreude-fueled peals of laughter in the industry.

That's because unlike most shows consigned to the one-and-done club, the "Star" pilot drew critical acclaim and stood out from the pack of new pilots for being different than the increasing glut of procedural hours.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ied4f9346f54dc08e3e0276177a7fb241
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    And they put it up against DWTS, Two and a Half Men and one of the most-advertised new shows.

Great Fox, just great.

They make a bold decision to produce something of this tone and calibre, and then completely undo it all by risking the farm on it being able to knock out DWTS or TAAHM? Morons.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone care to say what it's about?
  • welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet ....
    It's about con men, father and son. Son has been trained from a young age by the father and is actually better than the father now. Son has two "fake" lives, one in a poor town that he has been selling shares in a fake gas well company and in which he has a girlfriend. The other life is where he is married to a woman who is part of a rich family who own an oil company headed by Jon Voight's character. Father and son have been on the road selling the shares in the their fake gas well whilst also trying to get into the oil company in order to fleece them. Son is offered a senior job by Jon Voight in order to turn the failing oil company around. Son is conflicted as wants to do the job for real and not con them and also he loves his wife and girlfriend. It looks as though he will try and take money out of the oil company and try and pay back the people in the poor town where his girlfriend lives.

It was quite good so I'll watch again although I hope it doesn't turn into a soap.

Rob
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Noting what it was up against. If the nubers in that article are correct then over half the people who watched it turned off by the end. Fox won't put up with nubers like that for more than a couple of episodes.

Looks really bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Presumably Sky1 (who have the rights for the show in the UK) will show all the produced episodes, even if Fox pulls it from the schedules.

I bet Sky are feeling like they backed the wrong horse now though, i'm surprised that they went for this over JJ Abrams' 'Undercovers' seeing as they already have 'Fringe' and had 'Lost'.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »

They seem to be praising Fox for giving it a whole 2 episodes :confused:

And thanks to Welshbob :)
    Forum Member
    Well, I've really enjoyed the first two episodes of Lone Star. I quite like the fact that it's a bit different.

However, the bad news is that it only got 3.21million viewers for Fox last night. I guess that'll be pretty much it for Lone Star now, which is a shame.
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Well, I've really enjoyed the first two episodes of Lone Star. I quite like the fact that it's a bit different.

However, the bad news is that it only got 3.21million viewers for Fox last night. I guess that'll be pretty much it for Lone Star now, which is a shame.

IM sitting down to watch this in a bit. Read the bad news. The creator / producer is very keen on the show. Hopefully he will start shopping around if Fox cancel. truth be said the show could do so much better on a cable net. And with Southland having paved the way there could be a slight chance of survival for Lone star.
    Forum Member
    It does seem ridiculous that they would cancel it when it's up against shows like Dancing With The Stars, Two And A Half Men and The Event (from what I've read, The Event is by far the most heavily promoted new show for this season).

I'll enjoy it while it runs though, and hope that it comes back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eliott256 wrote: »

It was coming, it will be interesting to see what Lie to Me can pull in in the same time slot.
  • FunkmasterTFunkmasterT Posts: 14,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted. Is the full run of 13 episodes already filmed and in the can? I hope whatever is left sees daylight via the Fox website or a foreign broadcaster.
    Forum Member
    Gutted. Is the full run of 13 episodes already filmed and in the can? I hope whatever is left sees daylight via the Fox website or a foreign broadcaster.

I doubt it. USTV shows never film that far in advance.. Filming on most shows usually begins sometime in July and it takes 7+ days to film an episode. They normally aim to have in the can and aim to broadcast 10-11 episodes between September and end of year. Rough guesstimate is they probably have something like 5-6 episodes in the can, and maybe the latter of these hasn't gone through post prod yet.

Anyway, since its officially cancelled Ill delay my viewing of episode 2 and catch up with the rest of last night's bunch - I stll have quite a few to get through before I acquire another load tmorrow lol.
  • Spdub2Spdub2 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    According to http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/its-official-fox-cancels-lone-star/ they were currently filming episode 6 and have been told to cease production immediately
  • GibsyGibsy Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    This was one of the 3 new US shows bought by Sky for their Autumn/Winter schedule...I wonder what they will replace it with...Hawaii 50...as that has been removed from Bravo
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibsy wrote: »
    This was one of the 3 new US shows bought by Sky for their Autumn/Winter schedule...I wonder what they will replace it with...Hawaii 50...as that has been removed from Bravo

Well they've got the HBO content as back up... It seems very clear to me now that they are not going to put any of the new series being produced by HBO on their premium pay tv channels (like sky movies)... They are all destined for Sky One etc now... The HBO stuff is the only guaranteed thing they have that will run for its full duration during its seasons.
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the DS news page Lone Star is being replaced in the US schedules with season 3 of Lie To Me which "....wasn't expected to air this early". Maybe Sky will move forward the broadcast of this instead? Although NeverMiss is showing that as coming in January 2011, so who knows.
    Forum Member
    According to the DS news page Lone Star is being replaced in the US schedules with season 3 of Lie To Me which "....wasn't expected to air this early". Maybe Sky will move forward the broadcast of this instead? Although NeverMiss is showing that as coming in January 2011, so who knows.

Yep, Lie to Me is taking over the slot.

US networkd usually have a bunch of "mid season replacements" at the ready. Despite being pencilled in for january / february and even April debuts / returns, mid season replacements usually go into production at the same time as the "Fall Premieres / returnees". They normally come in to the schedule after the new year break, usually taking slots from series with shorter runs (13 eps as opposed to 22) or series with standard runs that run uninterrupted (therefore not covering the entire period Sept-May).

However, these series always have to be at the ready as they can be "called in for duty" earlier to replace new premieres that flop during the "Fall Season" launch.

There is also talk at Fox to possibly bring forward the premiere for cop drama "Ride-along" a mid season replacement originally intended for a March debut. IN any case with Lie to Me taking the slot, it is possible that ridealong could take an earlier debut slot - possibly the one originally planned for Lie to Me.