Quitting smoking?

2»

Comments

• Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't use anything at all.

I just stopped and never went back to them. Yes, I was climbing the walls for the first few days. Gradually the time between me thinking about smoking increased.

Coming up to two years now. I can go for a full week without thinking about them.

I still get cravings though. I doubt they'll ever disappear completely.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds bad Shantom. :(
    Some people leave it too late to quit though. The worst case I know of personally is a man who lived in our village. He was only in his 40's but was a very heavy smoker. He had been told to stop by the GP because his circulation was getting very bad.

He started getting pains in his legs and his arteries were completely clogged. They had to remove some toes and told him to quit but he didn't.
    Next time he went back they told him "we are going to treat your leg like a piece of salami". You'd think that would be enough to make you quit wouldn't you?
    His wife and 3 teenage kids begged him to quit but he didn't.

Then they took his foot off and later still his leg up to mid-thigh. He died of a heart attack just weeks after coming home from hospital.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    shantom wrote: »
    The thing that made me quit smoking was I was laid in bed watching tv....I hadn't exerted myself for a while just laid there however I was short of breath, breathing seemed to be a struggle I was 27. I made the decision that I would stop....in the morning I got up put a patch on and hid the pack of **** (had 15 in there) under the oven gloves in the kitchen. Chucked them away later in the day and never looked back.

I hate the the smell of cigs now...my mum though she won't stop. She is in her 50s and just lately she is always ill....most of the time she has a **** then gets an inhaler out :confused: She makes me so mad.....obviously everyone knows smoking is bad but when you're at the point you need an inhaler after you've had a **** surely you must think it's time to stop :confused:

I'm sick of telling her :mad:

Oh yes, I can relate to that. Laying in bed and the noise of my breathing was very laboured. The cough kept waking me up too.
    Like you shantom, I stopped (cold turkey) the very next day.

Funnily enough I still have my last pack and it too has 15 cigarettes in it. :eek: I have no need to throw them away. They remind me of the past and that's where they'll stay.
  • shantomshantom Posts: 2,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    That sounds bad Shantom. :(
    Some people leave it too late to quit though. The worst case I know of personally is a man who lived in our village. He was only in his 40's but was a very heavy smoker. He had been told to stop by the GP because his circulation was getting very bad.

He started getting pains in his legs and his arteries were completely clogged. They had to remove some toes and told him to quit but he didn't.
    Next time he went back they told him "we are going to treat your leg like a piece of salami". You'd think that would be enough to make you quit wouldn't you?
    His wife and 3 teenage kids begged him to quit but he didn't.

Then they took his foot off and later still his leg up to mid-thigh. He died of a heart attack just weeks after coming home from hospital.

That's terrible...how anyone can carry on after that I don't know, even with your family begging you. What an age to die...it's no life at all :(
    Oh yes, I can relate to that. Laying in bed and the noise of my breathing was very laboured. The cough kept waking me up too.
    Like you shantom, I stopped (cold turkey) the very next day.

Funnily enough I still have my last pack and it too has 15 cigarettes in it. :eek: I have no need to throw them away. They remind me of the past and that's where they'll stay.

Oh god I couldn't have kept them I think in the early days I would have smoked them. Good on you though!

I remember the first day I stopped actually I had a right go at a woman in a store I was shopping in. I was stood at the till listening to this woman complain to customer services about a woman in the car park. I clicked that she was talking about my sister and just saw red...I shouted at her that much the whole store went quiet and everyone just stared :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I'm only a week into stopping smoking, but doing ok - the first 2/3 days were like a very bad case of PMT, I wasn't very nice and was either very angry or burst into tears at the drop of a hat :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stopping smoking is easy Ive done it loads of times :cool:

nah seriously good luck to anyone fighting the cravings its a hard gig and only an ex smoker really understands how hard it is .... but i have to say i hate those that claim they quit just like that with no problems .. yeah right .. In my experience they will probably be that chap/chapess forever buming a smoke of you saying they dont really smoke but fancy one just now .. too tight to buy their own, so when you quit they have no choice ;
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think its that hard, to be honest. People who don't really want to give up make half-hearted attempts because they feel they ought to, then give others a false idea of how big a deal it is.

Best way to stop smoking is to simply stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them. Ignore the cravings, they only last a couple of days. The rest is in your head.
  • ElkyElkyElkyElky Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    I don't think its that hard, to be honest. People who don't really want to give up make half-hearted attempts because they feel they ought to, then give others a false idea of how big a deal it is.

Best way to stop smoking is to simply stop putting cigarettes in your mouth and lighting them. Ignore the cravings, they only last a couple of days. The rest is in your head.

Absolute tosh! You've obviously never been addicted and attempted to quit.

I agree with your first paragraph but not everyone can just throw their **** away and be done with it for the rest of their life, this isn't some magical disney movie....... it's a physical and mental addiction, the physical side is easy to overcome but not so the mental.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The craving never leaves an ex-smoker.

you could go 2 or 3 years without a **** - then one day, go bananas for 1.

I gave up cigarettes in 2006, and a couple of weeks ago, I was climbing the walls for a ****.

the craving never dies - you have to fight the feeling.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »

I gave up cigarettes in 2006, and a couple of weeks ago, I was climbing the walls for a ****.

This is true. I gave up over 20 years ago and I could smoke a **** now if I had to.

Tips for giving up:

Refer to yourself as a non-smoker.

Substitute ciggies with a glass of water with a lemon slice in.

One of the things you'll miss is the hand to mouth habit. A glass of water or squash relieves this.

Change your routine.

Cut down on coffee, tea and alcohol till the craving eases

Cut out coffee and tea after meals, have a cup before meals instead.

Eat acidic fruit after meals such as oranges or grapes.

Throw away ashtrays, lighters and matches.

Clean out the ashtray in your car and valet the inside so that it doesn't smell of ****.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

So true i gave up for over three years then one led to another and another and i was smoking for over a year again, now i am on day 5 of not smoking again and have the most awful sore throat and cough
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong! I quit 6 and a half years ago and never, ever want to smoke again. I've just come back from a lovely lunch party with 7 other females. Just one woman smoked after we'd finished our meal and it didn't bother me at all.

We were in a lovely, enclosed courtyard garden so I could smell the smoke clearly but it didn't make me want one. In fact I was glad I gave up because she has a hacking cough and her skin is much worse than mine and we're the same age.

You are not missing anything when you quit smoking you are gaining much more!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 years off them and I still dream at nght that I smoke ..

Mind you I suffered more comming off seroxat, horrible horrible withdrawels.