Options

Anyone ever been on Lansoprazole?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Well its 2014 and I guess ppl still research this drug :D

I just started Lansoprazole capsule (1 x 15 mg a day) yesterday. I just sit and pray that I don't get any side effects (diarroea specially!! ) side effects are scarey :(
  • Options
    SadeyedSadeyed Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francis7 wrote: »
    I used to get terrible heartburn - Rennie etc was no help at all - so my Doctor prescribed me Pantoprazole, which I took daily and it cleared it up completely.

Then I lost 3 stone (I was considerably overweight) by changing to a really healthy diet and now I almost never get heartburn/acid indigestion and have no need to take prescribed pills whatsoever.

Firstly my mum was prescribed Lansoprazole to counter affects from arthritis painkillers. She has been taking it ever day for years with no side effects.

However, referring to the above post. I went on a diet and cut out all fats (other than a small amount of Olive Oil) and sugars. Basically my motto was "If I know it's healthy I can eat it. If I know it isn't I can't".

The chronic heartburn I had had for years cleared up almost immediately and I found that if I stuck to my motto 90% of the time, I could have a drink occasionally and even spicy food, curries etc without any problem.

I haven't bought Rennies for years and I used to go through them like crazy!
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you not supposed to take omaprazole for long periods of time?

I've been on them for about 8 months. Prescribed by the hospital. My GP is next to useless and hasn't done a review of my medication ever and has never mentioned that I shouldn't take them for long periods.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read the thread title impatiently and thought that it said, "Anyone ever been on Lanzarote?"
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always keep some in the cupboard. When I get indigestion I'm in screaming pain, vomiting etc. Lanzaprazole usually clears this up within 2 to 3 days.
  • Options
    dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »

I've been on them for about 8 months. Prescribed by the hospital. My GP is next to useless and hasn't done a review of my medication ever and has never mentioned that I shouldn't take them for long periods.
    I've been on them and then the cheaper derivative for around 15 years without problems, and expect to be on them for another 15.
    Dave
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadeyed wrote: »
    Firstly my mum was prescribed Lansoprazole to counter affects from arthritis painkillers. She has been taking it ever day for years with no side effects.
    take it for same reason here .... after a number of years I've had no side effects from taking lansoprazole, no longer need daily painkillers every single day now but keep taking lansoprazole daily as excess acid has bothered me for 20 years which it zaps
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take 20mg Omeprazole when I feel the effects of my other tabs for arthritis, trouble is sometimes they work too well and can cause a terrible burping bout.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on it since a very bad case of acid reflux last year. Couldnt eat anything without pain and was off work for 3 weeks. Since I've been on them I've been much better, started on the 30mg tablets but now reduced to 15mg once a day. I've found as long as I take one in the morning I don't have a problem, as long as I don't eat bacon, which sets my acid off!
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was on them and someone said about apple cider vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. I started taking that every morning, and it my gastric problems went away.. also went on a lowcarb grain free diet and I've not had the dreadful reflux I had since then. ( the acv and barcarb got rid of it and the lowcarb grain free kept it away) its been a god send for me and best of all no meds.
  • Options
    sugar puffsugar puff Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »

They are meant for short term use only. Long term use can cause lots of other health problems in some people. They made me very ill. But the worst effect is not known until you try to stop taking them and find you can't. You become dependent on them because the acid produced in trying to come off them is horrendous and leads you (and the doctor) to believe you really need them.
  • Options
    AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Im 20 and i get pretty bad heartburn, its pretty much after anything i eat. I could eat a cherry tomato and get heartburn almost instantly, or take a sip of vodka and the same thing! Just been to the doctors about it and he just pretty much said okay and prescribed me a months supply of Lansoprazole tablets and said after a month to come off them and if the problem comes back to come back and have blood tests.

I was just wondering if anyone else had used these tablets and if they worked for you?

Yes, I've been taking them for about 4 years for severe reflux and they work really well for me, I take 1 tablet in the morning on an empty stomach and then eat after 30 mins. They work for me and I certainty can tell the difference when I don't take one! Good luck with them! xx
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been on Omeprazole, which has already been pointed out is in the same family as Lansoprazole. I have been on this tablet for about 15 years. I had such bad reflux/heartburn that even drinking a glass of water would bring an attack on. I still find that if I forget to take my tablet for just one day the symptons reappear very quickly. I hope the medication helps you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HI all

I have been taking it for a week now. Yesterday I stopped taking it.
    Since day one I have had tummy rumblings and cramps..and dizziness at night..and felt sick. Doc gave me some anti spasm drugs..seemed to work for a couple of days...but yesterday had tummy cramps and diarroaeh so I stopped taking them since yesterday..today a bit better..but still crampy and diarroaehy.. hopefully tomorrow it will be out my system. I'm going to have a word with the doc. as I think its these tablets :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hollybabes wrote: »
    HI all

I have been taking it for a week now. Yesterday I stopped taking it.
    Since day one I have had tummy rumblings and cramps..and dizziness at night..and felt sick. Doc gave me some anti spasm drugs..seemed to work for a couple of days...but yesterday had tummy cramps and diarroaeh so I stopped taking them since yesterday..today a bit better..but still crampy and diarroaehy.. hopefully tomorrow it will be out my system. I'm going to have a word with the doc. as I think its these tablets :(

Try taking one teaspoon of barcarb of soda, in about a small amount of watered down apple cider vinegar. If you cant take the taste you can dilute it with a tiny amount of juice.

I was on a lot of meds ( all with horrible side affects) for gastric problems and now I'm not on any. Might be worth a try for you as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Peanut.. I will give that a try. The natural way has got to be the best way if possible :) oh and along with some major dietry changes lol :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hollybabes wrote: »
    Thanks Peanut.. I will give that a try. The natural way has got to be the best way if possible :) oh and along with some major dietry changes lol :o

I also went very low carb. The barcarb and ACV stopped the gastric problems, and the very low carb stopped them from coming back.
    I dont take the barcarb anymore as everything has cleared up.. Dr still says I need to take the many pills I was on, but I just smile I carry on as I am.
  • Options
    dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hello
    I'm on lansoprazole once daily,my care workers\(I have complex needs) have started putting it together in a drink with a medication I take for another reason

is this safe will it dilute the effects of the medicines?
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    hello
    I'm on lansoprazole once daily,my care workers\(I have complex needs) have started putting it together in a drink with a medication I take for another reason

I would speak to a pharmacist or your GP about this

I am on lansoprazole as I had a massive GI bleed last year (mallory weiss tear) - wonder drug
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lanzaprazole is great stuff.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I'm on Omeprazole and have been for six months. I take a 10 mg tab every other day and this seems to keep the old acid reflux at bay.

I maybe wrong but I believe that Omeprazole is one of the less strong PPI's. Lanzoprazole is a bit more of a heavyweight contender ?

You are correct.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    hello

Really should not mix medications in this way.