Capital FM Network

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
Now being announced on Galaxy stations.

The changeover process is now in full swing.

It'll be interesting to see what the media spend will be and where it will be targetted.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I was never a huge fan of the Galaxy format but I am slightly sad to see it go. It had its purpose and served its target audience very well in the process which is something that a lot of stations just simply do not do.

The most interesting thing i am waiting for is to see what Real & Clyde are going to do?

Real know to an extent what the target is and play to it. Clyde on the other hand wants to be a bit of everything with no real direction and just seems to be there to attempt to keep everyone happy which obviously is impossible, I worry for them with these changes in the New Year!

Still it will be something interesting for us to watch unfold in the New Year.
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that the Galaxy on air branding will gradually be phased out over the next week or two so that after Christmas the station will effectively become "Capital is coming".

I agree with you Lord B.

Robin Galloway's exit from Real and the fact that former Clyde MD Paul Cooney is now at Galaxy/Capital makes it a very interesting time.
  • Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am wondering how this station will sell itself.

The public aren't daft and will know fine well that Capital is a station for London and for most of the time all we will be getting is a syndicatton of a London heritage station.

In Scotland, how well will the name go down in the west where the name could equally refer to London or Edinburgh?

I suspect the key wil be very clever and expensive marketing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised they haven't done a deal with Coca Cola and borrowed their "Holidays are coming" christmas advert.
    Sing along now "Capital is coming!, Capital is coming!". :D
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistermeep wrote: »
    I'm surprised they haven't done a deal with Coca Cola and borrowed their "Holidays are coming" christmas advert.

Richard Park could don a false belly and beard and play the Santa.

Coca Cola is an overly sweet, gut/tooth rotting, brain numbing confection that is very, very bad for you if drunk continually. So, a very appropriate metaphor.

Well done.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Heard this on RAM too :(

Also got the presenters using Capital at every opportunity.
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard this on RAM too :(

Also got the presenters using Capital at every opportunity.

I've already noticed that presenters have toned down using the station names and just saying Your Capital Hit Music Station instead of identifying the station.

Apparently the 19th Dec will be the last day of station names then Capital is coming from the 20th until launch. That's a nice christmas present for us isn't it:rolleyes::cry:
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Coca Cola is an overly sweet, gut/tooth rotting, brain numbing confection that is very, very bad for you if drunk continually. So, a very appropriate metaphor.

Indeed. It's also the most successful brand on the planet. If I were Global I'd be delighted to be compared to it.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    Indeed. It's also the most successful brand on the planet. If I were Global I'd be delighted to be compared to it.

Being the beast it is, I'm sure it would.

And coke machines are being removed from schools as those who should know better realise the affect that such corrosive garbage has on kids. It's about time the same sort of attitude were taken by regulators of radio.
  • Marcus BradshawMarcus Bradshaw Posts: 4,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious about this.

My gym have flipped from Kiss to Capital recently, and I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle things like 'The Jingle Bell Ball', which is quite clearly a London event and seems to get a mention pretty much every link.

I think Radio 1 does a great job with their Big Weekend shindig, by moving it around the country. Capital won't do that and I can't imagine Scottish listeners being particularly impressed with endless promotion of a London concert.. especially when it's clearly aimed at kids, who in most cases won't have a hope in hell of going.

I understand they are going to attempt 'intelligent networking', which I'm sure is a relief to anyone who was expecting some sort of dumbed down networking, but there's no way of removing all references to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member

Any time I see this thread now that track is going round in my head!

I listened to Galaxy this morning for a while and I noticed the Capital branding sneaking in. I must admit im not in favour of cross phasing station changes. It's a little too clumsy and dragged out, this sounds very much like that.

I would just hand it over at midnight on New Year.

I know it's a harsh way of doing things but it's the way it has worked in the past on other stations.
  • WizardWizard Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I'm curious about this.

My gym have flipped from Kiss to Capital recently, and I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle things like 'The Jingle Bell Ball', which is quite clearly a London event and seems to get a mention pretty much every link.

They'll probably handle it the way they already do on Galaxy Yorkshire... i.e. talking about it ALL the time - but just not really playing up where it's happening!

On a slightly different point - London's so important to Capital, I think we're going to see Breakfast and Drive on 95.8 becoming even more London focused than before (if that's possible), with the other shows being a little more generic (save for the odd split).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    What annoys me more than anything is how evasive the Facebook groups are in particular to the changeover. It is quite sad for me personally as I've been with Kiss/Galaxy since it started in February 1997 and I loved the alternative it provided and barring "the new mix" issues in early 2000 I have enjoyed listening to it. Now the processing sounds like a cheap ILR rather than an "up for it" regional station. Listening to Kiss these last few weeks I have realised that Galaxy/Capital is no longer for me and they have lost a very loyal listener to what was a superb product. Global's loss is Bauer's gain for me. Upsetting would be a little too extreme but it is a loss to the Yorkshire area. More than all this, I feel for the poor staff that have built up the Galaxy product to what it is today and I thank them for their near 14 years of providing me with a radio station that suited my listening needs perfectly. Global have treated them appallingly. I hope all involved find employment in 2011.
  • chrismjcchrismjc Posts: 154
    Forum Member

Both the Jingle Bell Ball and the Summertime Ball have been periodically cross-promoted across the Hit Music network in the time they've been running, including ticket giveaways across the day. At present all the references are dropped to Capital, but once that requirement is removed then you could easily promote it during shared programming ("London's O2 arena" would work for listeners to 95.8 as well as the rest of the network).
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Having been awake since 0500, I've only just appreciated how funny that is :D
    x+y wrote: »
    I've already noticed that presenters have toned down using the station names and just saying Your Capital Hit Music Station instead of identifying the station.

Apparently the 19th Dec will be the last day of station names then Capital is coming from the 20th until launch. That's a nice christmas present for us isn't it:rolleyes::cry:

Back in early October (not long after the merger was announced) I noticed Dino & Pete from RAM saying to every caller at the end of the convo "and what station are you listening to?" as if trying to name check RAM as many times as possible!

I guess now they've got a job they're not as bothered :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    The public aren't daft and will know fine well that Capital is a station for London and for most of the time all we will be getting is a syndicatton of a London heritage station

What? So those same people who aren't daft believed that Galaxy was being broadcast from outer space?! :confused:
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats another well known London Radio Station being ruined with big money making radio bosses cashing in.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would personally like to thank all those Captial Radio DJ's from the past and present, who have contributed to the growth of the station in around London and the south.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Capial changeover looks to be in full swing - listening to Capital on Freeview and Galaxy on FM there is no difference now.

It looks like it will be a very smooth transition and a name change delivering the same top 40 chart hits.

Should make no difference to the target audience.
  • anonymous_user_1anonymous_user_1 Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Thats another well known London Radio Station being ruined with big money making radio bosses cashing in.
    Maybe, maybe not... but it's a business and they'll do what it takes to make a profit. Pleasing you is a distant 2nd.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not... but it's a business and they'll do what it takes to make a profit. Pleasing you is a distant 2nd.

Er... no... if they don't please the audience they will go elsewhere and that will lead to loss of audience, loss of advertisers etc.

A business HAS to please to survive.
  • tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine Scottish listeners being particularly impressed with endless promotion of a London concert...

They will when they have "the chance to win exclusive VIP tickets to the event, flights, a night in a top London hotel and a chance to meet the stars backstage".
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er... no... if they don't please the audience they will go elsewhere and that will lead to loss of audience, loss of advertisers etc.

A business HAS to please to survive.

But Global can please the existing Capital audience at the same time as the station is made into a network. If Heart is anything to go by most people don't even notice, just so long as the music - which is the stations USP - stays the same.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've ever heard any on-air forewarning of a station rebranding. I can't decide whether that's an act of courtesy to the listeners, or an admission of fear about the rebranding.
  • djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've ever heard any on-air forewarning of a station rebranding.

Thing is they're not actually explaining what Capital is, nor are the presenters acknowledging it.
    They're just dishing out hybrid taglines and hoping nobody will notice the gradual transition.
    But when they actually start saying "This is Capital", they're going to have to acknowledge it.
This discussion has been closed.