Best Guest Stars: Series 7 (2012>)

AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
Forum Member
We're entering the penultimate week of our series-by-series account of favourite guest stars, and we now have Series 7 on our hands! The poll should hopefully appear shortly after the thread has been posted...

You can see previous thread results here:
Series 1
Series 2
Series 3
Series 4
The Tenth Doctor Specials
Series 5
Series 6 VOTE OPEN UNTIL 1pm TODAY! (22/7)

In now-typical fashion the poll for Series 7 will be open for a week (closing on Wednesday 29th) and thw winner will be added to the final poll to be carried out in a few weeks.
For the benefit of consistency with other series, the poll excludes any lead or significant recurring characters. In the case of Series 7 this includes Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, and Alex Kingston. It was considered that Jenna Coleman could be included in account of her splinter appearances ahead of her introduction as contemporary Clara - but unlike, for example Catherine Tate who appeared as a legitimate guest star who happened to later go on to be a companion, Coleman's pre-lead appearances were directly tied into her introductory story and its subsequent story arc for the series - so for consistency she has been excluded on these counts as well.

Important: The next poll will cover The Eleventh Doctor Specials (2013) and will be posted this Saturday, and will run for the usual 7 days. This will be followed by Series 8 poll to be posted as normal next Wednesday.

Who was your favourite character from Series 7?

Which Series 7 guest star was your favourite? 22 votes

CLARE SKINNER (Madge Arwell, The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe)
0% 0 votes
MARK WILLIAMS (Brian Williams, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Power of Three)
27% 6 votes
RIANN STEELE (Queen Nefertiti, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)
0% 0 votes
RUPERT GRAVES (John Riddell, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)
0% 0 votes
DAVID BRADLEY (Solomon, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship)
4% 1 vote
BEN BROWDER (Sheriff Isaac, A Town Called Mercy)
4% 1 vote
ADRIAN SCARBOROUGH (Kahler Jex, A Town Called Mercy)
0% 0 votes
JEMMA REDGRAVE (Kate Stewart, The Power of Three)
9% 2 votes
RICHARD E GRANT (Dr Simeon/The Great Intelligence, The Snowmen, The Name of the Doctor)
4% 1 vote
NEVE McINTOSH (Madame Vastra, The Snowmen, The Crimson Horror, The Name of the Doctor)
0% 0 votes
CATRIN STEWART (Jenny Flint, The Snowmen, The Crimson Horror, The Name of the Doctor)
0% 0 votes
DAN STARKEY (Strax, The Snowmen, The Crimson Horror, The Name of the Doctor)
0% 0 votes
CELIA IMRIE (Miss Kizlet, The Bells of Saint John)
0% 0 votes
EMILIA JONES (Merry Gejelh, The Rings of Akhaten)
4% 1 vote
LIAM CUNNINGHAM (Captain Zhukov, Cold War)
0% 0 votes
DOUGRAY SCOTT (Alec Palmer, Hide)
0% 0 votes
JESSICA RAINE (Emma Grayling, Hide)
0% 0 votes
ASHLEY WALTERS (Gregor van Baalen, Journey to the Centre of the Tardis)
0% 0 votes
JAHVEL HALL ("Tricky", Journey to the Centre of the Tardis)
0% 0 votes
RACHEL STIRLING (Ada Gillyflower, The Crimson Horror)
4% 1 vote
DIANA RIGG (Mrs Gillyflower, The Crimson Horror)
40% 9 votes
JASON WATKINS (Impresario Webley, Nightmare in Silver)
0% 0 votes
WARWICK DAVIS (Porridge, Nightmare in Silver)
0% 0 votes
EVE DE LEON ALLEN (Abbie Maitland, various)
0% 0 votes
KASSIUS CAREY JOHNSON (Artie Maitland, various)
0% 0 votes

Comments

• krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Definitely Mark Williams as Rory's Dad (is a spin-off series with him and Wilf too much to ask? :) )
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Dame Diana Rigg.

The Doctor: Mrs. Gillyflower, you have no idea what you are dealing with. In the wrong hands that venom could wipe out all life on this planet.
    Mrs. Gillyflower: Do you know what these are? The wrong hands!

A wonderful on the right side of Who pantomime villain performance.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Dame Diana Rigg.

I absolutely loved her performance...both witty and sinister, and as you said the right side of a panto performance. The Crimson Horror was an unexpectedly awesome episode for me...likely the best of Series 7 for me.

That said the performance of her real and on-screen daughter as well was superb... I seem to be gravitating towards choosing one of these two but I can't settle on which!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missed this thread, so late to the party!

Rigg and Stirling were superb in a cracking episode, I agree. Also fond of Rory's dad, Soloman is brilliantly scummy and also really rate Adrian Scarborough's performance as Kahler Jex in an underrated story. Oh, and liked Dougray Scott too. This is quite tough, actually as there are other performances I liked too. Ermmmmm.....

Dame Diana as the barnpot Mrs Gillyflower edges it....:)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Diana Rigg for me too.
    I absolutely loved The Crimson Horror, and her performance was the icing on the cake!
    :)
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    As much as I love the actor, I couldn't gel with Rory's dad as a character. He was shoehorned in as it was, and then didn't get to do that much really. But then Series 7, for me, was brimming with wasted potential.

I ended up loving The Crimson Horror though, and it was one of several strong episodes in the series that I loved. Diana Rigg was sublime, but I voted for Rachel Stirling her on-screen and real-life daughter. Her character was interesting, and she had a hard part to act but did so brilliantly... bringing hostility, anger, and affection to the role. The two together were fantastic.