Fear The Walking Dead Season 1 US Pace (Spoilers Tagged)

Comments

• Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was all a bit dull and predictable. "Oh look," I said to the wife, "a black kid, I doubt he'll see the episode out." and he didn't. Looks like TWD is continuing with it's its 'one black in one black out' policy.

I'll stick with it though, in case it improves.

A black kid who happens to be a drug dealer don't forget!
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical scene setter/introduce things episode. A bit slow to start but kind of picked up towards the end. It got away with it because of the walking dead. If the walking dead had started this way it would have lost a lot of viewers.

No idea which way it'll go - good, bad, indifferent. Time will tell. Bit worried its going to turn into ' the walking dead B' very quickly though.
  • sam edwicksam edwick Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had more of the same sorts of hopes - some answers, maybe, but the show-runners have said that there won't be any answers, because there aren't any answers. So we just end up with slightly less decrepit zombies - and it isn't exactly the same old same because it's in a different place, with different people, but we have some almighty difficulty empathising with them, because none of our favourite characters are in it. #scrapingthebarrel - #crap
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    I've just found AMC from BT on my Sky listings, says it starts tomorrow at 7pm, living in hope that it's a sub free channel but not holding my breath :)
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I've just found AMC from BT on my Sky listings, says it starts tomorrow at 7pm, living in hope that it's a sub free channel but not holding my breath :)
    Sorry to disappoint you but it is a subscription channel.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »

You need to have BT Sport if you want to watch AMC on Sky.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night, thought it was pretty good actually.

I don't know why people were expecting some instant violence gratification, the episode was supposed to be setting things up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw it last night, thought it was pretty good actually.

I don't know why people were expecting some instant violence gratification, the episode was supposed to be setting things up.

It was the family that annoyed me not the lack of zombie violence. They seem to have gone down the path of the typical cliched family, druggie son, bratty daughter and domineering mother. It would have been nice to have seen some different families instead of sticking with the one. It is early days yet though and is worth sticking with it for now, perhaps there will be other families brought in as it goes along, I hope so.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After episode 2 on August 30th there's no episode the week after, episode 3 airs on September 13th.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    All in all, I think the show has potential, but they're going to have to pick up the pace if they want it to be a success. What gets me though, and I know this is only fictional, but in a real world situation, this would never have gotten out of hand (eventually leading to the world of the walking dead we already know and love).

As per the family, and the other characters, the daughter (whilst nice to look at) doesn't seem to offer much in the way of a character. I expect her boyfriend to turn up at a later date somewhere, having had to run off or something. Be interesting to see that weird kid again too - does he know more than he's letting on?
    I guess the decision to set it as a prequel is always going to create an air of expectation because people already know what happens. The one problem i had, as some have mentioned, is that i cared little about any of the main characters. The son, in particular, was very irritating.
    I am actually finding his character interesting. Look at it from his perspective. He's taken drugs and isn't sure whether what he saw was real or not. Imagine that for a moment, being witness to a strange phenomenon, and not being able to tell between reality and hallucination. Scary.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Sorry to disappoint you but it is a subscription channel.

Oh well, never mind :)
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been a fair amount of talk about the two shows crossing over sometime in the future. I hope that the only reason this ever happens is for Rick to put a bullet in the head of all of the FTWD characters.
  • knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem to have gone down the path of the typical cliched family, druggie son, bratty daughter and domineering mother.

Thats a typical cliched family?!
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    All in all, I think the show has potential, but they're going to have to pick up the pace if they want it to be a success. What gets me though, and I know this is only fictional, but in a real world situation, this would never have gotten out of hand (eventually leading to the world of the walking dead we already know and love).

As per the family, and the other characters, the daughter (whilst nice to look at) doesn't seem to offer much in the way of a character. I expect her boyfriend to turn up at a later date somewhere, having had to run off or something. Be interesting to see that weird kid again too - does he know more than he's letting on?

I am actually finding his character interesting. Look at it from his perspective. He's taken drugs and isn't sure whether what he saw was real or not. Imagine that for a moment, being witness to a strange phenomenon, and not being able to tell between reality and hallucination. Scary.

Actually it would very easily get out of hand, especially when you consider that in TWD universe EVERYONE is infected. So, you have a care home. Sixty residents. Ten staff working at any one time. One resident dies and turns. Said resident attacks the first career that attends. Resident goes on to slaughter any other resident or staff member they see. Those bitten turn. In the space of a few hours you potentially have seventy walkers ready to go. Paramedics and police turn up. Bitten before they can shoot. Now you've got another dozen walkers. The cycle goes on and on. That's just one example. It would spread VERY quickly and the government wouldn't get much chance to react.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats a typical cliched family?!

As in typical American TV show family is what I meant to say.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    This show was the worst case of Emperor's New Clothes in many years. So much hype, and so little of interest. No originality whatsoever, and clearly just a way to milk the idea to death...and probably beyond. They should've called it Fee The Walking Dead: Leave Your Cash At The Door.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Real World situtation.

The CDC use, as I understand, the concept of Zombie pandemic to map the potential effect of a real world pandemic and how to contain it, treat the infected, help the healthy and maintain some sort of government control in a situation that could cause our society to collapse over a few months if left unchecked.

I do agree that the spread could occur. Think about drug users, homeless, displaced persons etc. The number of buildings that are used by same where walkers could wander aronund for days before coming out into the light. Car hits walker, help are bitten or scratched become infected are treated but doesn't help. Virus goes wildfire kills them they turn and so on. Within weeks most large cities would uncontainable. Civil control would collapse as police and national guard protect their families. Gangs, riots more walkers, power goes out, street gridlocked, water supply fails. Deaths from hunger, thrist, illness more walkers.

Maybe a few hundred people in a group with a defendable compound could make it but larger groups would domino with only one turned infected so in real terms this could happen. It would depend largely on whether governments would talk with each other take steps to build up a response (I.E. shoot on site walkers) and then keep comms open long enough to co-ordinate responses across countries, borders and continents.

Worrying that I've seen enough of this stuff to think this out isn't it guys :(.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This show was the worst case of Emperor's New Clothes in many years. So much hype, and so little of interest. No originality whatsoever, and clearly just a way to milk the idea to death...and probably beyond. They should've called it Fee The Walking Dead: Leave Your Cash At The Door.

Or

'Fleece the Walking Dead Fans'. :)
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the family that annoyed me not the lack of zombie violence. They seem to have gone down the path of the typical cliched family, druggie son, bratty daughter and domineering mother. It would have been nice to have seen some different families instead of sticking with the one. It is early days yet though and is worth sticking with it for now, perhaps there will be other families brought in as it goes along, I hope so.

Yeah, they focussed too strongly on just four people, three of whom were annoying (one excessively so).

They should have had different groups in different parts of LA. But I'd guess that they are really going to try to drive the show through a bunch of core characters.

Even so, I'll bet at least one of them dies soon and turns, forcing the rest of the family to put them down. Probably the mother, who seems to have been bitten though it wasn't super clear if she was or not.
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

Well, if you accept that the dead can somehow re-animate then the situation could certainly get out of hand extremely quickly.

No-one would know what was happening at first - the zombies actually appear to be either delerious people with a fever or maybe high on drugs like Angel Dust or Bath Salts. The first reaction of anyone coming into contact wouldn't be to immediately shoot them in the head or hit them with a blunt object in the head, it would either be to try to subdue them or if deadly force was used, they would attempt shots to the centre of mass. By the time they get them subdued, probably a bunch of people have been bit - who will be fresh zombies in a day or two.

Anyone who dies for whatever reason reanimates - so outbreaks of undead everywhere. Even in places that were fortified and thought safe (remember the outbreak in the prison in TWD?). And many will reanimate close to friends/family who most certainly won't 'put them down' - even if they knew how (no-one would know about the need for a headshot) or that they even needed to (they just look like they are in a fever, remember, so people would be trying to restrain them and in turn getting bitten).

Sure, if everyone knew in advance of what was about to happen and was prepared for it, the situation could be containable. But the people of this fictional world have no idea what is coming. As far as we know, even stuff like Zombie Films or literature never existed in TWD universe.

If YOU saw a person stumbling around moaning today would your first reaction be to clobber them in the head with something heavy?
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was very good and managed to actually have better pacing and tension than many of the parents show's episodes!

They played very well with the idea that we as the audience knew what was happening - with the amount of police sirens going on all the time, the principal being hunched over, the old man's zombie-like breathing etc. There were a lot of moment where they made you expect to see something too - like when you get the through the windscreen shots whilst they're driving.

I always thought TWD missed a huge amount of dramatic potential by skipping past the initial outbreak so this is filling that gap well.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Thought it was very good and managed to actually have better pacing and tension than many of the parents show's episodes!

They played very well with the idea that we as the audience knew what was happening - with the amount of police sirens going on all the time, the principal being hunched over, the old man's zombie-like breathing etc. There were a lot of moment where they made you expect to see something too - like when you get the through the windscreen shots whilst they're driving.

I always thought TWD missed a huge amount of dramatic potential by skipping past the initial outbreak so this is filling that gap well.

I liked it too, TWD at the beginning was fairly faithful to the comics which began with Rick leaving the hospital after the carnage had taken hold.

The spin off programme has the advantage of losing the shackles of the comic and be properly made for the TV medium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    The spin off programme has the advantage of losing the shackles of the comic and be properly made for the TV medium.

Yes that could be the good thing about the spin off series.

It doesn't have to stick to the comics so can do original things,
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure the show has potential, there being so many possibilities - but am I interested to see where it goes with THOSE characters we met in ep1..... heck no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Sure the show has potential, there being so many possibilities - but am I interested to see where it goes with THOSE characters we met in ep1..... heck no.

I'm hoping all but the mother is killed off.