Options

Fear The Walking Dead Season 1 US Pace (Spoilers Tagged)

Comments

• Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nnop wrote: »
    Hope they expand on the source of the infection, seeing as it started with Gloria being turned without any reason why, and I thought this series was mean't to be telling the story of the outbreak.

I don't think this is correct. The authorities are already dealing with what they think is a flu epidemic, so the original Event must have already occurred several days before the 1st episode. We already know that people with an activated walker infection first go down with a fever, before they die and come back. I suggest the flu shots were responsible for the walker epidemic, by aggravating whatever had already happened to the entire population. Shame we'll never get to see that.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I liked it too, TWD at the beginning was fairly faithful to the comics which began with Rick leaving the hospital after the carnage had taken hold.

The spin off programme has the advantage of losing the shackles of the comic and be properly made for the TV medium.

Yeah. I knew TWD wouldn't be able to deal with the initial break out due to that so it's certainly nice to see that being explored. In many way this probably works better because they can play with the audience's pre-knowledge and use that to their advantage to create extra tension.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was a slightly better episode, probably what ep 1 should have been, but I do wish they'd stop using the cliches of the 'unanswered phone call' or the 'Not answering a question when some asks 'what is happening?'' or 'why can't I go outside?'.

And they are still doing the 'annoying teenagers' cliche.

rolleyes
  • Options
    HeWhoIsHereHeWhoIsHere Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    The flu must be the catalyst for the whole thing, because there would not be that many dead people from normal causes to causes a collapse so quickly. Especially with Americans who are heavily armed.

So in order for this thing to kick off in large enough numbers a lot of people need to die around the same time.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was a slightly better episode, probably what ep 1 should have been, but I do wish they'd stop using the cliches of the 'unanswered phone call' or the 'Not answering a question when some asks 'what is happening?'' or 'why can't I go outside?'.

rolleyes

good god I can't stand the teenagers. i agree that it was a better episode and did a decent job of ramping everything up a notch, but oh my god the son and daughter are so incredibly irritating i just wanted to throw things!

if there's going to be somewhat of an ensemble cast, i can only hope the teenagers are used sparingly because the way they're being written at the moment could seriously mean me dropping this before it really gets going.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The flu must be the catalyst for the whole thing, because there would not be that many dead people from normal causes to causes a collapse so quickly. Especially with Americans who are heavily armed.

So in order for this thing to kick off in large enough numbers a lot of people need to die around the same time.

I think it's more along the lines of the virus that causes this has somehow spread amongst humans. Where it came from is and will remain a mystery. There's clearly two ways it works - it can be carried dormant in people or it can be active after death or a bite. No one just seems to get sick from this without a bite.

As for how it works - the difference between carrying it and having been bitten? Well since they don't ever have any intention of explaining it, I guess we won't know!
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member

rolleyes

'I'm not sure, It all happened so quickly'
    'I don't know what to think anymore'
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not doing a very good job are they, having re-watched The Walking Dead Rick's exit from the hospital did all this so much better and with barely any dialogue.

It's zombies so I'll watch anyway.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Think they could have done with actually casting teenagers to play the role of teenagers, rather than a bunch of 20-somethings. Maybe we'd better relate to them then? I don't know.

I still don't buy this outbreak disrupting society as quickly as it is though, this is all taking place in, what seems like, 24-48 hours. I just can't realistically believe that society would crumble and power/cell signals would become problematic that quickly.
    Piipp wrote: »
    Actually it would very easily get out of hand, especially when you consider that in TWD universe EVERYONE is infected. So, you have a care home. Sixty residents. Ten staff working at any one time. One resident dies and turns. Said resident attacks the first career that attends. Resident goes on to slaughter any other resident or staff member they see. Those bitten turn. In the space of a few hours you potentially have seventy walkers ready to go. Paramedics and police turn up. Bitten before they can shoot. Now you've got another dozen walkers. The cycle goes on and on. That's just one example. It would spread VERY quickly and the government wouldn't get much chance to react.
    With todays technology, and the fact we can call someone on the other side of the world and video document pretty much anything, I still think that whilst an initial outbreak might be quick, the return on that would be quicker. It wouldn't (or shouldn't) take long for governments to form some sort of plan to deal with this outbreak. Sure, you'd probably have a whole bunch of walkers roaming around by that point, but I wouldn't think it should ever get to the status portrayed in the parent show.
    No-one would know what was happening at first - the zombies actually appear to be either delerious people with a fever or maybe high on drugs like Angel Dust or Bath Salts. The first reaction of anyone coming into contact wouldn't be to immediately shoot them in the head or hit them with a blunt object in the head, it would either be to try to subdue them or if deadly force was used, they would attempt shots to the centre of mass. By the time they get them subdued, probably a bunch of people have been bit - who will be fresh zombies in a day or two.
    In which time you would think those that are left would come to the realization that if they're bitten, they're soon to turn, and likewise those that are bitten need to be dealt with via a permanent solution. Even in the first episode, they ended a walker with a shot to the head (after initially laying several bullets into it); this should be common conception for all/any police officers from this point on.
    Sure, if everyone knew in advance of what was about to happen and was prepared for it, the situation could be containable. But the people of this fictional world have no idea what is coming. As far as we know, even stuff like Zombie Films or literature never existed in TWD universe.
    I keep forgetting about that. Don't recall the word Zombie ever being used in any/either show.
    If YOU saw a person stumbling around moaning today would your first reaction be to clobber them in the head with something heavy?
    My reaction wouldn't be anything until they lunged toward me and tried to take a bite out of me, then I'd act accordingly. Probably make an escape.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well really dont like this i dont care about any of the characters infact theyve done a good job of making me hate all of them. they are all so annoying. the walking dead is great because you care about almost all of the characters
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Think they could have done with actually casting teenagers to play the role of teenagers, rather than a bunch of 20-somethings. Maybe we'd better relate to them then? I don't know.

I still don't buy this outbreak disrupting society as quickly as it is though, this is all taking place in, what seems like, 24-48 hours. I just can't realistically believe that society would crumble and power/cell signals would become problematic that quickly.

With todays technology, and the fact we can call someone on the other side of the world and video document pretty much anything, I still think that whilst an initial outbreak might be quick, the return on that would be quicker. It wouldn't (or shouldn't) take long for governments to form some sort of plan to deal with this outbreak. Sure, you'd probably have a whole bunch of walkers roaming around by that point, but I wouldn't think it should ever get to the status portrayed in the parent show.

In which time you would think those that are left would come to the realization that if they're bitten, they're soon to turn, and likewise those that are bitten need to be dealt with via a permanent solution. Even in the first episode, they ended a walker with a shot to the head (after initially laying several bullets into it); this should be common conception for all/any police officers from this point on.

I keep forgetting about that. Don't recall the word Zombie ever being used in any/either show.

My reaction wouldn't be anything until they lunged toward me and tried to take a bite out of me, then I'd act accordingly. Probably make an escape.

In response to your response to my response (bit of a mouthful) I would like to say that I personally do think it would get out of hand and very quickly at that. I used an example of one care home leaving potential seventy walkers within a few hours. Now imagine that care home includes hospitals, doctors surgeries; anywhere there are vulnerable people. Now imagine how many of those you have in one city, particularly a large American city with a large and dense population. The police can't be everywhere. The instinct isn't to shoot 'victims' in the head. In fact, initially, the emergency services would try and help those whom have been bitten. This in turn leads to more and more infected whom eventually all turn to become walkers. The media are unlikely to put out a news bulletin urging people to shoot one another in the head, even once they have a better idea of the situation. So you're left with a small pocket of people, such as the teenager portrayed in FTWD, who may have some idea of what to do. However, as we're seeing in this show, it is unlikely that the emergency services or government would want to cause a panic by explaining what is happening, especially if they believe they can still contain it. And, as we saw with Atlanta, they're likely to be quite happy to drop a bomb in an area if they believe an infection causes significant risk to the entire population, cannot be contained, and needs to be removed quickly. I think things would get nasty and fast. Although I'm not sure the power and satellites would be playing up when only a few people have turned (one thing I think FTWD may have gotten wrong). Anyway, hopefully we'll never have to find out the actual answers to these questions.

EDIT: Forgot to add; I really enjoyed episode two. A marked improvement on the first. I just hope the pacing isn't too much; I really would like to see the story of the initial outbreak (leading the world explored in TWD) explored in great depth and for more than six episodes. If we reach the end of season one and it's done then the show will just turn into TWD.

Something I think would be really interesting (and is perhaps a missed opportunity with FTWD) would be a series following the events in real time. Perhaps have a small prequel giving us the gist; ie, the flu has started (as another poster described above, with the flu and the shots potentially being the cause of the spread) and little tidbits (although it wouldn't even have to be an episode, perhaps a montage clipped on to the start of the first episode would suffice) and then a twelve episode season following the outbreak one hour at a time. It would give enough material to last a few seasons and would give the viewer a real sense of involvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [snip]

I used an example of one care home leaving potential seventy walkers within a few hours. Now imagine that care home includes hospitals, doctors surgeries; anywhere there are vulnerable people. Now imagine how many of those you have in one city, particularly a large American city with a large and dense population.

[snip]
    You're right, but then there should still be many more survivors than we've seemingly encountered in TWD. Densely populated areas are at greater risk, so yeah, I'll grant that, but smaller villages and maybe even some towns wouldn't be, yet they're deserted too?
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better episode this time. The pace was better as well. Still feel nothing for any of the characters though.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the impossibility of this happening for real even being discussed?

It's a show set in a fictional world about the struggles and triumphs people go through when their entire world gets turned upside down and their lives are in danger at almost every turn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    Why is the impossibility of this happening for real even being discussed?
    Because it's fun to think about? If we went by the rule of lets not discuss what isn't real, then by default, the only ongoing discussion would be what's going on inside the Big Brother House or in the Jungle. :p
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I thought the second episode was better, but I agree that most of the characters are annoying.

It looks like we're going to get to a similar stage as The Walking Dead soon -- i.e. most people dead -- so what will be the difference between the two shows then?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was all a bit dull and predictable. "Oh look," I said to the wife, "a black kid, I doubt he'll see the episode out." and he didn't. Looks like TWD is continuing with it's its 'one black in one black out' policy.
    Corwin wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone would bring that up.

The daughters boyfriend was probably killed off as well.

... and the black Principle.
  • Options
    JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    I thought the second episode was really good. That tense feeling is building nicely.

Some of the characters don't half frustrate me though. Especially the teenage girl.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    You're right, but then there should still be many more survivors than we've seemingly encountered in TWD. Densely populated areas are at greater risk, so yeah, I'll grant that, but smaller villages and maybe even some towns wouldn't be, yet they're deserted too?

Why not?

It appears to have started with some kind of flu epidemic, which could have spread rapidly.

And then all those infected people turn when they die, biting and infecting more people...

First responders and emergency services get hit hard. Police, paramedics, doctors, hospitals, GP surgeries...

Small towns etc. would still suffer.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    ... and the black Principle.

Come to think of it, the four walkers (or near enough) we've seen closely so far have all been black.
  • Options
    chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it, the four walkers (or near enough) we've seen closely so far have all been black.

apart, of course, for the very first walker - the junkie girl - and the punk girl who was killed by the cop at the end,
  • Options
    HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Ok 2 episodes down

Agree with most better 2nd episode , couple of point from me

1. cant help but think they have miised a trick as its rapidly turning into full TWD, but surely instead of focusing on such a insipid family , maybe they could have had a more multi story arc that comes together in the final episode.

by this i mean they could have/ maybe they still will, but shown the collapse of society from multiple sources, the police, the higher autorities ETC?

2. im gonna show faith in the character building though , i remeber watching early TWD and thinking please kill off Darryl and Carol, awful characters but they develeoped very nicely , couldnt imagine the main show without them, so who knows , some of the family will become better people because of the epidemic.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^maybe my memory is broke, but I don't recall watching the early eps of TWD and totally despising some of the characters, and not in a "boo, you're a baddie" kinda way, but a "why the heck are you in this show, just die already" way. Andrew Lincoln had charisma and watchabliltiy ooziing all outta him and he didn't say nuttin for most of the pilot - none of the main guys here interest me whatsoeva. Maybe it has something to do with "I know what's going on" thing but I'm continually wanting to give these FTWD people a slap as they, yet again, miss the bleeding obvious and/or choose to keep shtum rather than give out (what I know is) important information.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    chubsta wrote: »
    apart, of course, for the very first walker - the junkie girl - and the punk girl who was killed by the cop at the end,

There's the neighbour who turned and the bloke on the motorway.