James Corden sitting in a car

2»

Comments

• Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people find comedic value in 'outsize' egos.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll admit that while I have always liked James Corden, I never expected him to do well in America. His style of comedy is just a bit too British
  • San Fran SaraSan Fran Sara Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wherever I go on social media, there I see James Corden sitting in a car, apparently singing while driving, and alongside him, is a different allegedly 'famous' person every other day.

First of all, I don't wanna know what all this crap is about because I cannot stand James Corden. He's about as funny as a deadly plague.

My question is, WHY?

Why is any one who visits, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc, force-fed Corden's idea of a joke?????

We're NOT INTERESTED!!!!

Neither are the majority of Americans who avoid his awful show, I am a guest I a country of 318 million and yes I googled the number and well over 315 million do not give a crap about him or his show.

Friends here wonder how such a ass got a chat show in the states, how do I explain to them that Ruth Jones was responsible for over 80% of the Gavin & Stacey scripts and clearly the talented one yet it's Corden who got the American gig. His ratings are not in the toilet they are beyond the u bend, I know demos matter more here but he even lags badly where they are concerned also barely ahead of Last Call with Carson Daly as far as both ratings and demographics are concerned. He is what an older colleague refers to as the young Pat Sajak as in he is a disaster for late night.

It's a cruel world and as for his carpool karaoke it's not original and about as entertaining as a fart in a spacesuit.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither are the majority of Americans who avoid his awful show, I am a guest I a country of 318 million and yes I googled the number and well over 315 million do not give a crap about him or his show.

Friends here wonder how such a ass got a chat show in the states, how do I explain to them that Ruth Jones was responsible for over 80% of the Gavin & Stacey scripts and clearly the talented one yet it's Corden who got the American gig. His ratings are not in the toilet they are beyond the u bend, I know demos matter more here but he even lags badly where they are concerned also barely ahead of Last Call with Carson Daly as far as both ratings and demographics are concerned. He is what an older colleague refers to as the young Pat Sajak as in he is a disaster for late night.

It's a cruel world and as for his carpool karaoke it's not original and about as entertaining as a fart in a spacesuit.

No one in America would be able to understand Ruth Jones's accent
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty much every TV show except major sports events and matters of national importance gets a small minority of the available audience.

Instead of fallaciously looking at the number of non- viewers, you should concentrate on whether the numbers and demographics of actual viewers are good enough to keep Corden employed, keep big-name guests interested, keep advertisers interested and keep the show on the air. Which they obviously are.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    So many people in the UK seem to have wanted him to fail when he took that talk show job in the US. I'm glad he didn't.

Me too, good luck to him - I like him, and the Carpool thing is brilliantly funny. I love seeing someone who clearly revels in the enjoyment of their life and good fortune in what their doing, and James really does. He was an arse in the past - and his admitted that in his book - but he's doing well now and I'm really pleased for him.
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The only one I've seen is the one with Michelle Obama.........I just noticed it on YouTube and watched it

Michelle is fab !.......:D

I think all the Car Karaoke things follow on from this one from the Aussie girl comedy group SketchSHE from a few years ago and all the parodies which it spawned.......

(this is good if you haven't seen it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpQUsQcJFg

They copied it themselves!

This video was uploaded by Timh 4 years before the SketchSHE video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdD0889nag
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was mildly funny when he sung' do they know its christmas' in the car on Gavin and Stacy, but from the clips I have seen with him milking the idea, he just comes across as sycophantic and plain annoying.

Don't like him.hes an unfunny hanger on.like an irritating itch you can't quite reach.
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wherever I go on social media, there I see James Corden sitting in a car, apparently singing while driving, and alongside him, is a different allegedly 'famous' person every other day.

First of all, I don't wanna know what all this crap is about because I cannot stand James Corden. He's about as funny as a deadly plague.

My question is, WHY?

Why is any one who visits, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc, force-fed Corden's idea of a joke?????

We're NOT INTERESTED!!!!

I happened to catch part of this show on tv and I found it brilliant!

so simple but so good

yes, I was skeptical at first, had heard about it and thought :confused: but its great!
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,641
    Forum Member
    He is talented but he seems to have an enormous chip on his shoulder. He's just done an interview for GQ where he's whinging that "posh actors" have an easier time than him. And then there was the time he ranted during his acceptance speech for one BAFTA award for Gavin and Stacey that it was unfair it hadn't won more. No matter how much success he has he always seems to feel hard done by.
  • IandigitalspyIandigitalspy Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I wish James Corden would rip all the cameras out of the car and drive off into the sunset so we can't him anymore.
  • San Fran SaraSan Fran Sara Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amelia99 wrote: »
    He is talented but he seems to have an enormous chip on his shoulder. He's just done an interview for GQ where he's whinging that "posh actors" have an easier time than him. And then there was the time he ranted during his acceptance speech for one BAFTA award for Gavin and Stacey that it was unfair it hadn't won more. No matter how much success he has he always seems to feel hard done by.

He cannot stand the mere fact that Ruth Jones was responsible for 80% of the G&S scripts and was never the talented one, his us show is scripted by very talented writers so I guess somewhere down the line he will whinge about them.
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    amelia99 wrote: »

I do think he's talented and I've no probs with his success in the US but yes, that arrogance is still alive and well and simmering away underneath the more humble front he's had to adopt post his G&S over-reaching.

The fact is, Ruth Jones was/is the real comedic brain behind G&S. You only have to look at the truly grim 'Horne & Corden' sketch show, which he wrote, post-G&S, to see how limited his own writing skills are.

Re the 'posh actors privilege' yes, that's an undeniable fact and a very valid discussion point, but not really in the context of a Cordon who seems, essentially, to be pushing the idea that 'class and privilege' is responsible for people not liking him.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him in Gavin and Stacey but other than that I don't get the hype. Didn't Ruth Jones have a part in the writing of that?

Certainly not in the league of the late Caroline Aherne, now she was someone to rave about.