Options

Daybreak - New Look from Jan 3rd

Comments

• Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    6-8.30 ITV Breakfast News with Mark Austin and Julie Etchingham (The 5.30-6 ITN production being dropped)
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Lord knows what an ITV audience want at that time of day. All will probably become clearer post 2014 when the new licences start and it's likely the conditions of the breakfast licence will change drastically, if indeed a breakfast licence remains.

I suspect it will be cheap entertainment all the way post 2014 in the breakfast slot.

Can't see the main presenting team of ITV News being switched to the morning. I agree with the 5:30 - 6:00 News being dropped though.

I suspect there will be no Breakfast Licence after 2014, though I hope and suspect that Ofcom will keep a certain quota of News in the morning (maybe a half-hour News programme incorporating a 5 minute Regional News bulletin would work?).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    I suspect there will be no Breakfast Licence after 2014, though I hope and suspect that Ofcom will keep a certain quota of News in the morning (maybe a half-hour News programme incorporating a 5 minute Regional News bulletin would work?).

But if the ratings grow do you not think ITV would want to keep Daybreak
  • Options
    happy tvhappy tv Posts: 1,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Kate and Dan will get the jobs as anchors. They haven't managed to increase ratings. They have been around 700,000 or less since Adrian and Christine left and I think the percentage of viewing figures yesterday were also low.
    The only way they will increase ratings is to bring in two new presenters and get rid of all reminders of GMTV so that people understand that it is never coming back. A new funky, fresh show, with young presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    happy tv wrote: »
    I don't think Kate and Dan will get the jobs as anchors. They haven't managed to increase ratings. They have been around 700,000 or less since Adrian and Christine left and I think the percentage of viewing figures yesterday were also low.
    The only way they will increase ratings is to bring in two new presenters and get rid of all reminders of GMTV so that people understand that it is never coming back. A new funky, fresh show, with young presenters.

Yes the show needs a new style but hopefully they keep Kate. Although i don't think they will. Over the last few weeks kate has shown she has the potential to bring the show back but she can't do it on her own and basically that is what she is doing. All that is needed is a new anchor, dan can go back to sport, get a new showbiz and new news presenter in and better content
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvworld101 wrote: »
    But if the ratings grow do you not think ITV would want to keep Daybreak

You would think so...I'm not sure I can see it happening though. I think Kermit and Miss Piggy would be great hosts for a Breakfast spot in the morning...obviously not for a serious News programme though. Would be something a bit different, though the rights to the Muppets (or at least Kermit and Miss Piggy) may cost a few quid.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think Andrew, Emma, Penny would all want to come back to breakfast tv? Andrew maybe saying he only has Injury Lawyers for 4 and Wimbledon. But would ITV go there? No!

Im glad Penny has gone. Its time Kate was given less of a role on ITV Breakfast.

Darren
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen and Dan this morning.

I hope Helen gets a bigger role when the changes are anounced.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    6-7pm Mostly doesn't have ads, however some nights there is a break at 6.25 (football nights etc) to recover breaks lost later in the evening.

There's always either two ad breaks - one during the National news and one after or one longer ad break afterwards.

ITV did at one time decide to not have ad breaks during national news but then they added them in to the evening news, although the lunchtime news and news at 10 are usually ad free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    teeswolf wrote: »
    Helen and Dan this morning.

I hope Helen gets a bigger role when the changes are anounced.

This would be my ideal Daybreak team.

Anchors: Kate Garraway and Ian Axton (From the wescountry tonight
    News: Helen Fospero
    Sport: Dan Lobb
    Showbiz: Emma Crosby
    Weather: Kirsty McCabe, move Lucy to nationals

Allthough non of that will happen ;)
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Stapleton and Kate Garraway both together this morning. It's good to see John on the sofa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few technical issues in some reports
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will end up going back to the old GMTV format. The windows have already been covered up.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked John Stapleton but that Kate grinds on me what do they see in her ahhhhhhh!!!! Anyway to be hones for what i watched today there was way too many adds so its still no go for me.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This would be my ideal Daybreak team.

Anchors: Kate Garraway and Ian Axton (From the wescountry tonight
    News: Helen Fospero
    Sport: Dan Lobb
    Showbiz: Emma Crosby
    Weather: Kirsty McCabe, move Lucy to nationals

Allthough non of that will happen ;)

Oh not Kate Garraway just keep her as a fill in or Showbiz like she used to do when Daybreak first started. I flick between Daybreak and BBC Breakfast when im getting ready for work but im slowly finding myself watching BBC breakfast a little more before I goto work.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry Darren but I.disagree with you, Kate is a great presenter. Louisa James on the news. I think shes from Granada region
  • Options
    AllBranAllBran Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Rijowhite wrote: »

The advertising money that slot brings in means that ITV will still produce a breakfast programme.
    Revenue's always been around £60m a year.. with operating profits of between £15m and £20m a year.

ITV's not going to want to lost a penny of that!
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Darren but I.disagree with you, Kate is a great presenter. Louisa James on the news. I think shes from Granada region

Louisa James was good. Hopefully one of the new faces we are going to see more of?
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Louisa James is Central, has been for a few years
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_YQkAXRLw
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    My first post on here, it’s going to be quite a long one but a few things I need to get off my chest regarding Daybreak past, present and future. The shows problems are rooted far deeper than the programme itself. No matter how much they revamp the show with new sets, presenters, graphics, content etc, they’re fighting a losing battle because the BBC News brand is untouchable at the minute and the ITV News reputation isn’t great. Even across other ITV News programming, the ratings are proportionate to that of BBC Breakfast vs Daybreak with BBC bulletins getting around 2-3 times the equivalent ITV audience. The only exception is the 6.30pm ITV bulletin which still trails by about 1.5m viewers.

If Daybreak is to succeed in its current form it has a massive uphill battle and it will take a good number of years. They’d be better off axing Daybreak and replacing it with either GMTV (they’re the same show anyway, but, as ironic as it is to say it, GMTV doesn’t have as much negative baggage and had a clear identity), or it could be replaced with an ITV News branded breakfast show .

ITV have made a real cock up of Daybreak. It was all handled wrong during the transition from GMTV and they treated the audience with great contempt. Whilst I don’t believe GMTV would be rating much better than Daybreak currently is if it was still on air (if you include Lorraine), the content would have a much clearer focus and the audience would be taking much better to it. Say what you like about GMTV over the late noughties but by the end of its run they had the balance of news, sport and showbiz spot on, something which they failed to carry over to Daybreak. That said I actually quite liked the different approach of the first few editions of Daybreak. Whilst Adrian & Christine were the wrong hosts, if they persevered with the original format I do believe audiences would have eventually taken to it and it would have provided a good alternative to BBC Breakfast. But they’ve gone back into smug and cheesy content with far too much yellow lighting!

It’s clear that ITV have to revert to GMTV under Daybreak brand. Daybreak will always be inferior to GMTV in such a form, just like GMTV was inferior to TV-AM (although ITV couldn’t really do anything about that). However I fear they’re going to get it horribly wrong again. Natasha Kaplinsky has been rumoured and this relaunch is due in April- just as she is due to leave ITV News. I don’t think that is a coincidence and I do believe she will get the job. But its clear from the forums and Twitter that she isn’t popular, whilst Helen Fospero always goes down very well. If ITV are going to make the same mistake of hiring a big name again then they need to go for someone tried and tested like Eamonn Holmes. Eamonn & Helen would make a great pairing with Dan & Kate providing Thursday/Friday and relief duties. Kate Garraway works better when she isn’t the leading female. Shes unbearable at the minute and was when she did GMTV, but when shes second in command (e.g. after Fiona and later after Christine) shes much better. If they can’t get the ratings, then they need to at least produce a show that those who ARE watching do enjoy, otherwise they run the risk of losing even more viewers to the BBC. And if Helen doesn’t get a presenting role (which will be a travesty), I do hope she becomes the newsreader again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I believe that for Daybreak to succeed then the following needs to happen.

Fist of all they need to get the content right. Hassled mums want news but not to much news. Basically GMTV pre 2003. When Eamonn and Fiona Anchored. I think Kate would be a good anchor just with a better partner. Dan is too lightweight. Andrew Castle was the perfect pairing with Kate. I would like to see a return of Helen maybe as newsreader. Also they need the presenters 5 days a week. People want consistency, they want to know who they will be waking up with, on the tv. Some familiar faces need to come back. Bring Emma back as Showbiz editor and stand in news reader. Move Dan back to Sport and place a new co-host alongside Kate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Louisa James is Central, has been for a few years
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_YQkAXRLw

She is now at ITV Breakfast left Central a few weeks ago. Replaces Lucy Watson's place as north of England correspondent I think
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are (at least) two fundamental problems for Daybreak.

1) ITV is not clear about what sort of programme it wants - news, LE, children's, or something combining them all.Until the people making the programme get a clear brief from the management they will continue to flounder.

2) It seems there is a finite audience of about 700,000 - 800,000 for a breakfast programme on ITV. Daybreak was intended to build on the GMTV audience (not helped by the ridiculous and somewhat patronising claim that it was aimed at ''hassled housewives'') but has failed to do so under two contrasting sets of presenters with the programme (apparently) now trying to move into more serious journalism but without the resources or talent to compete with the BBC. Why bother ? Try something the BBC is not doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No the program is now moving towards hassled housewifes
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is now at ITV Breakfast left Central a few weeks ago. Replaces Lucy Watson's place as north of England correspondent I think

Yeah she's left now. You said she was Granada a few post above!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah she's left now. You said she was Granada a few post above!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, must of been thinking about Granada (The City) while writing the post. Sorry