Options

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Diddididi wrote: »

those are definitely worth saving...

I love the seal.....and the pictures of the dogs....they are brilliant....

and definitely worth saving on my favourites list to cheer me up on a gloomy day...

thank you :D
  • Options
    Lena JLena J Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    Happy Easter everyone - each to their own activities :D

Well hubby has spent the day on the landing DIYing - that stands for Destroy It Yourself in his case :eek: and son has been in our garage wielding a plasma cutter around his girlfriends Mini (that's her car not her skirt)...just to clarify:p So pretty much a normal day in our household:D
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I'd definitely give The Help a go if I could get my hands on a copy ... I'm sure there's a pretty cheap second-hand copy on Amazon... yep there's used ones for £0.01 (plus £2.98 p&p :p) :D

Ooh rushes to Amazon trying to beat muggins to it:D
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Oh ...id like to read another book again......sooner than the autumn.......

please......

Im happy to read either the 'Help' or' Dark Fire', and to discuss them just after the jubilee weekend......
    Me too - those or 'The Photograph'

Hello marion :)

Hello to you both and make that three:)

Look at me, that was four quotes.....I'm gathering momentum rofl.....:p
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Erm......Hi??? :-/

Wow been a while. Feel like a stranger here now. :p

How is everyone?

I feel like I have been away from school and returning to find all my friends have dumped me and got new friends. ;)

So hope the appreciating is still going strong. Not gonna lie I have not read anything here for about a year it seems. Current circumstances do not permit it. :(

Anyway still very much appreciating Johnny James and his silence. :p

Might even have love for a few more Aussies (no names mentioned I might start another war :rolleyes:)

Hope everyone is well, happy and loving life.:D:D

Hello you :) Good to see you :)

Hope your 'current circumstances' will allow you to join us a bit now? And hope you are okay - there's a :( in your post, I notice. All the best, Lindy x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lena J wrote: »
    Well hubby has spent the day on the landing DIYing - that stands for Destroy It Yourself in his case :eek: and son has been in our garage wielding a plasma cutter around his girlfriends Mini (that's her car not her skirt)...just to clarify:p So pretty much a normal day in our household:D

Ooh rushes to Amazon trying to beat muggins to it:D

Hello to you both and make that three:)

Look at me, that was four quotes.....I'm gathering momentum rofl.....:p

Hilarious - you're on a roll today, Lena :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this drought is highly confusing....a reservoir near us....which is meant to feed into london, looks full to me as Im driving past, and the rivers near us are also full.....:confused:.

the ground is extremely dry......but I just checked....we are one of the few areas in east anglia, that isnt on a drought warning.......

i thought the fountains in Trafalgar square were fed by a natural aquafer......so they were a seperate water source? And I cant imagine the newly seeded grass on the olympic park being left to go brown....????.

my daughter reckoned the drought is more to do with the worry that water will run out by the summer, with the extra visitors coming into london.......so they are conserving stocks now for the summer......

I'm also confused, not that it takes much with me. Our hosepipe ban came into force down here as well today. We have two water companies in our town, one that supplies water and one that's responsible for sewerage and drains. This means we pay two standing charges and two water bills. We've just been sent our new DD details for the year and they amount to just short of £70 a month!

We had a tremendous amount of rain in November and December and when it rains our water butts are full to overflowing in no time. I've come to the conclusion that we're just hopeless at managing water supplies in this country. The north overflows with the stuff while down in the south it's in short supply. Maybe we need to look at Madeira with their Levadas which brings water down from the mountains and distributes it around the island.

BIB I thought it was the same bit of water going round and round like in garden fountains and water features? Also you can't hold the olympics on a large patch of brown scrub can you really? Honestly if they can hold the Olympics in Sydney with the Oz climate we really should be able to here.:confused::o
    im pretty sure that private companies and food producers/farmers will still be allowed to use hose pipes though......... its domestic consumption which is being cut...

and I heard today that you are still allowed to use a hose to clean down your dog......so I would imagine a lot of people finding the need to hose down dirty dogs in the middle of their lawns and flower beds.......

we were wondering if we could put the dog on the top of the car..........???:D

If this is correct there are going to be some extremely clean doggies in the country lol:D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Loving the monkey's at Gretna Green. :)
    My dearest and oldest friend eloped to Gretna Green and I made her wedding cake which she took with her. I had to tell a few fibs as to who I was making it for but I'm very good at keeping secrets ;) and I didn't admit I knew anything until she came back to face the music.:eek:
    Erm......Hi??? :-/

Wow been a while. Feel like a stranger here now. :p

How is everyone?

I feel like I have been away from school and returning to find all my friends have dumped me and got new friends. ;)

So hope the appreciating is still going strong. Not gonna lie I have not read anything here for about a year it seems. Current circumstances do not permit it. :(

Anyway still very much appreciating Johnny James and his silence. :p

Might even have love for a few more Aussies (no names mentioned I might start another war :rolleyes:)

Hope everyone is well, happy and loving life.:D

Hello stranger, it's lovely to see you again. Bit worried about BIB, hope you're ok.

Loved this especially the doggie pics.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Night all :yawn:

Sleep tight :sleep: :sleep:

Lindy xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NIte xx
  • Options
    ellemayellemay Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NIte xx

Night x

Goodnight JJat

Really nice to see a post from kinickyluver. x
  • Options
    georgyporgygeorgyporgy Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Look at me up at
    3.45 in the morning :eek::D

Good night or is it Good Morning :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at me up at
    3.45 in the morning :eek::D

Hi Georgy, you heard the latest BREAKING NEWS from yet another egg (who daren't tweet from their own account)?

We're about to have another round of masks falling off. ;):D
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Apparently Boris Johnson (as Mayor of London) is in discussions with the water companies over it. He'd have to persuade them to make an exception, otherwise, yes, the grass would be allowed to go brown :( That's as I understand it, anyway....

The problem is we haven't had any decent rain for two years and there aren't enough reservoirs. Planning decisions have meant that some reservoirs in the Southeast have been covered and more and more housing is dumped into the SE.

Mature lawns/grass don't need watering. In fact it discourages the roots from fully developing. I always thought it was a waste of water. I'm keeping empty milk bottles by my sink and a bucket by the shower to catch the water before it gets hot. I then fill the watering cans and water my plants. I've also ordered some drought tolerant plants like salvia, verbascum, lavender etc. If anyone is interested I can send them a list I found ages ago. PM me and I will send it to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also confused, not that it takes much with me. Our hosepipe ban came into force down here as well today. We have two water companies in our town, one that supplies water and one that's responsible for sewerage and drains. This means we pay two standing charges and two water bills. We've just been sent our new DD details for the year and they amount to just short of £70 a month!

We had a tremendous amount of rain in November and December and when it rains our water butts are full to overflowing in no time. I've come to the conclusion that we're just hopeless at managing water supplies in this country. The north overflows with the stuff while down in the south it's in short supply. Maybe we need to look at Madeira with their Levadas which brings water down from the mountains and distributes it around the island.

BIB I thought it was the same bit of water going round and round like in garden fountains and water features? Also you can't hold the olympics on a large patch of brown scrub can you really? Honestly if they can hold the Olympics in Sydney with the Oz climate we really should be able to here.:confused::o

If this is correct there are going to be some extremely clean doggies in the country lol:D:p

Happy Easter everyone.

May I suggest that you either contact the local council or one of the water companies to see what you are not allowed to do. There was a piece in the paper about what stages water restrictions went through.

There are different water restrictions for commercial/public organizations like hospitals, manufacturing etc and private individuals. Just checked our water company's website and these are ours.

No filling of ponds, swimming/paddling pools with hoses

No washing cars, patios, driveways or pets with hoses, no watering lawns or gardens with hoses. You can, however, drip feed water on a timed basis to vegetables and plants.

Do not use fountains unless the water recycles itself.

It is recommended that you:

Don't keep water running when you brush your teeth.

Ensure you do a whole load of washing in washing machines and dishwashers.

Take a shower instead of a bath (our water company has distributed 4 minute timers)

Use 'grey water' for plants and shrubs. You cannot store grey water for long periods of time.

Mulch your gardens with bark or pebbles and plant drought-resistant plants.

The consequences are dire - dry parts of the UK - East Anglia, London, Home Counties etc may only have water for a certain period of time during the day or have to use standpipes.

Hope this is of interest.

I know in parts of Australia you can't have a bath with more than an inch or two of water. Hope we don't get to that stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at me up at
    3.45 in the morning
    :eek::D

Well look at you joining the night owls. Morning/night? - Welcome to my world :D
    AlexBB3 wrote: »
    Hi Georgy, you heard the latest BREAKING NEWS from yet another egg (who daren't tweet from their own account)?

Another of the night owls, care to give us a little clue?:cool:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone, hope you're all in fine fettle today. :D It's bloomin' chilly down here this morning. Cloudy, but still no rain.

Was still going through the posts last night when I had a cooking disaster of georgy proportions involving jacket potatoes and the kitchen floor!!! :eek::o This is what happens when I try to multi task. I'll be glad when the last of this wretched kitchen is ripped out - it's never liked me.:cry::D

Hope you're feeling fine today Diddidi.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nice to see you kinicky - hope you post some more.

Happy Easter everyone.

BOOK GROUP DISCUSSION

There is a tie folks between DARK FIRES and THE HELP.

DARK FIRES. Set in Tudor times and is a murder mystery. Main character is a hunchbaked lawyer. There are historical characters like Thomas Cromwell. I've read DISSOLUTION by the same author. At times I felt I was actually in the Tudor period. His descriptions, plots and characters are very interesting - this book has history, plot and characterization. It is long but friends who have read it said it was easy reading.

THE HELP. Set in the Deep South of America. Follows black maid and a white would-be journalist. I've read the book and seen the film (which does follow the book). Well-written and good characterization. The film did deal with the overall civil rights struggle and brought the characters to life a bit more I thought.

Anyway, let me know by Monday which book you'd like. We really wouldn't need so much time to read THE HELP so could discuss it in five weeks.

Happy Holidays
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i was told how to multiquote by muggins (it was very in depth thank you) and i still failed lol

You can lead a horse to water....:rolleyes:;):p

:eek:"Is that the pyramids"??? Seriously?
    nyannie wrote: »

Happy Easter everyone.

BOOK GROUP DISCUSSION

DARK FIRES. Set in Tudor times and is a murder mystery. Main character is a hunchbaked lawyer. There are historical characters like Thomas Cromwell. I've read DISSOLUTION by the same author. At times I felt I was actually in the Tudor period. His descriptions, plots and characters are very interesting - this book has history, plot and characterization. It is long but friends who have read it said it was easy reading.

THE HELP. Set in the Deep South of America. Follows black maid and a white would-be journalist. I've read the book and seen the film (which does follow the book). Well-written and good characterization. The film did deal with the overall civil rights struggle and brought the characters to life a bit more I thought.

Anyway, let me know by Monday which book you'd like. We really wouldn't need so much time to read THE HELP so could discuss it in five weeks.

Happy Holidays

The Help :)

Happy holidays to you too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Happy Easter everyone.

BOOK GROUP DISCUSSION

Happy Holidays

Hi nyannie, just pm'd you with The Help as maybe the one to go with for all the reasons above.

So I'm with muggins and will vote for The Help. Watch out amazon for the scramble for all the used books!!:D

Happy holidays to everyone as well. I'm really looking forward to my Llindt egg, mmm.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi nyannie, just pm'd you with The Help as maybe the one to go with for all the reasons above.

So I'm with muggins and will vote for The Help. Watch out amazon for the scramble for all the used books!!:D

Happy holidays to everyone as well. I'm really looking forward to my Llindt egg, mmm.:o

Lol I need to know soon as I don't always even have £5 spare, certainly not to spend on such luxuries as books lol. If we wait until after Easter, I can book the Help through the library website perhaps. I'd rather spend the £5 on electricity :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Happy Easter everyone.

BOOK GROUP DISCUSSION

Happy Holidays

I've read The Help and seen the film but think people would enjoy it very much. It is very funny, very sad and invokes all the other emotions too, especially anger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kfb wrote: »
    I've read The Help and seen the film but think people would enjoy it very much. It is very funny, very sad and invokes all the other emotions too, especially anger.

I could definitely read it then, there's not enough anger in my life :p;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know John has a sense of humour, and so do we, so I am going to post this tweet of Sam Pepper's cause I thought it was hysterical :D

Johnny? is that you? steroids worked out for you bro! Photo>> http://on.fb.me/I8qyDq
  • Options
    Forum Member

Happy Easter everyone.

BOOK GROUP DISCUSSION

Happy Holidays

can we do the Help first and then Dark Fires.....cos it would be nice to have something to discuss in a month.

thank you for your drought ideas,...can you send me the list of drought resistant plants.???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AlexBB3 wrote: »

go on tell me more...... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go on tell me more...... :D

An egg called BNBNNews appeared last night claiming to have breaking news that John had left LoysF for good. It was immediately retweeted by various "joints" who seemed delighted to hear about the demise of the group.
    But the egg's gone now, so I'm guessing it was just another fake ruse. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.