are Game improving....

13»

Comments

• kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dnt get pre downloads, if the game is ready release it :)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not against digital downloads but think the price should reflect the savings they made in not going to press and some allowance for it not being able to be resold or the cut the shop makes for selling it.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    So you see without this Pre owned market that stores such as game have, i would only of played the first AC and then moved on, instead i know pay at least 39.99 a year on launch day for the new AC, this argument that pre owned costs developers money is a lie

Just like how piracy is going to destroy the music and film industries, you can lap up the lie and pretend these shops are doing a disservice by offering pre owned games, but you would be wrong

Just remember i also got into uncharted after buying the first pre owned as well, i then went on to spend 59.99 on the second game and 99.99 on the third game, without preowned that is about £160 i don't spend on new games

Oh dear, where to start. How about by saying NOT EVERYONE IS YOU THOMAS. You act as though pre-owned games ,have no effect on the industry and proceed to compare it to piracy but SO many developers have gone out of business these past 24 month for lack of game sales and the pre-owned situation hasn't helped that ONE bit. This is why DLC/Season passes and online passes has become so prevalent in an attempt to recoup the lost money on preowned games.

You can sit there and pretend it does more good than harm but it's total rubbish and it needs an overhaul. No-one is against pre-owned games, but the profits from such should go back in some way to those that made the product to begin with. Game inflated prices are another issue entirely, as is their despicable act of offering you a preowned game to a new one you take to the till for a few quick less after being told (it;s exactly the same).. THIS hurts the industry.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, where to start. How about by saying NOT EVERYONE IS YOU THOMAS. You act as though pre-owned games ,have no effect on the industry and proceed to compare it to piracy but SO many developers have gone out of business these past 24 month for lack of game sales and the pre-owned situation hasn't helped that ONE bit. This is why DLC/Season passes and online passes has become so prevalent in an attempt to recoup the lost money on preowned games.

You can sit there and pretend it does more good than harm but it's total rubbish and it needs an overhaul. No-one is against pre-owned games, but the profits from such should go back in some way to those that made the product to begin with. Game inflated prices are another issue entirely, as is their despicable act of offering you a preowned game to a new one you take to the till for a few quick less after being told (it;s exactly the same).. THIS hurts the industry.

I do agree that the used market need an overhaul, but the ways suggested so far are the wrong way to go about it IMHO, further restricting what people can do with the what they buy is not the answer. Developers and Publishers are not the only people struggling to make money at the moment, retailers are as well so what we really need is for publishers and retailers to work together to help each other as at the end of the day they need each other. But instead they just fight it out and everyone loses, the more games offer online passes the more games stores have pushed used over new.

As for the developers going out of business for poor sales due to the used market I would say the used market has hurt developers as much as poor management has. Look at the Tomb Raider sales, that game achieved record sales for the franchise and yet Square didn't make money on it as they expected it to sell double that. The used market didn't cause Square to over-estimate sales of Tomb Raider, in fact the used market didn't even hurt the game that much as it still managed to achieve record sales for the franchise. The problem with that game was not the used market but Square thinking the target audience was a lot larger than it really was.

After listening to everything on the used games debate developers keep saying the majority of their sales are made in the first 8weeks so why not come to an arrangement with retailers to delay used games trades for 2months. It would solve most of the problems without taking more rights away from the consumer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but i am just one example of how pre owned games made me spend hundreds more pounds of games than i would of without a pre owned market

Who is to say how many other people have gotten in franchises the same way i did

Can you justify your arguments when it comes to any business, why is gaming so special that it needs to change how second hand sales work and why should the profits from a pre owned sales go back to the developer, name me one other product outside gaming where that happens

Cex sales second hand movies, music and TV boxsets, are movie, music and TV companies calling for an end to second hand sales on them because it could hurt profits, no they aren't

How about we stop blaming the consumers for problems that come from within the industry, if a company isn't making a profit then its the companies fault not the consumers and its people like YOU 2D that really have me worried, why the hell are you just excepting what you are being told about the market
  • pavenpaven Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Yes but i am just one example of how pre owned games made me spend hundreds more pounds of games than i would of without a pre owned market

Who is to say how many other people have gotten in franchises the same way i did

Can you justify your arguments when it comes to any business, why is gaming so special that it needs to change how second hand sales work and why should the profits from a pre owned sales go back to the developer, name me one other product outside gaming where that happens

Cex sales second hand movies, music and TV boxsets, are movie, music and TV companies calling for an end to second hand sales on them because it could hurt profits, no they aren't

How about we stop blaming the consumers for problems that come from within the industry, if a company isn't making a profit then its the companies fault not the consumers and its people like YOU 2D that really have me worried, why the hell are you just excepting what you are being told about the market
    Totally agree with your post, similarly main dealers of cars embrace the second hand market.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not often I agree with you but on this I do.

I have also bought new games in franchises based on previous experiences of pre-owned games I have bought. This also goes for other products too where I have bought second hand and based on that experience, bought new the next time.

I do think as Hotbird suggested before, maybe a 1 or 2 month restriction on trading in games would be good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

First off I agree with your post...

I think the main difference between TV and Films is that DVD/BluRay sales are just an alternate revenue stream for these products. Films earn their money from the cinema, then PPV and rights sales to TV channels, TV makers main source of revenue is from advertisement or subscription funded TV channels. Game only have the one source of revenue for their game and the used market can eat into that if games are traded quickly and then the stores are promoting those used games to customers over the new titles. When a film or TV show premiers it has no competition and nobody is trying to make a buck off that until later down the line.

There seem to be this belief amongst the people like 2D that shops are making a mint of the back of the used market and that all those profits should go back to the developers but that clearly is not the case as retailers are struggling to make money as well (As is evident by the amount of shops going out of business). The shops do deserve to be making some money from used sales as they are the people taking the risk and out laying money to buy games off people, money some of those people will then put forward to new games purchases. They have to balance paying the customer enough to make a trade worth it, while paying low enough to be able to make a profit and sell at a lower price to encourage people to buy the used game off them. Its a careful balancing act that most retailers have yet to get right.

IMHO The used market is great when it comes to finding old games and keeping old games in circulation and this area of the used market should be praised, the part of the used market I dont like is the quick turn around on newly released titles which is in all honesty is probably damaging to the developers.

Publisher and retailers really just need to get together and hash out a deal that works for both sides because in the long run if we get the anti-consumer DRM that is rumoured it will be bad for everyone.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't too happy for the price they offered me for Grid 2 last Saturday (day after release!). Wanted to give me £15, but the chap said "let me just check CeX" (we just had one opena a few months ago not far away so there's a bit of a battle going on) - and did so on his mobile. His face fell when he saw they were offering £28, but said they'd beat it at £29.

Why couldn't they just have given a competitive price in the first place? I took it to CeX since at least they weren't trying to screw over people who didn't check/they didn't check for.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my good Lord

Steam: 7/10
    GOG: 8/10
    GMG: 6/10
    Gamefly: 7/10
    Origin: 8/10
    Game: 9/10

Hilarious.
  • HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Oh my good Lord

Steam: 7/10
    GOG: 8/10
    GMG: 6/10
    Gamefly: 7/10
    Origin: 8/10
    Game: 9/10

Hilarious.

I don't even have to click on that link. I just know how stupid it will be by looking at those scores.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    First off I agree with your post...

I think the main difference between TV and Films is that DVD/BluRay sales are just an alternate revenue stream for these products. Films earn their money from the cinema, then PPV and rights sales to TV channels, TV makers main source of revenue is from advertisement or subscription funded TV channels. Game only have the one source of revenue for their game and the used market can eat into that if games are traded quickly and then the stores are promoting those used games to customers over the new titles. When a film or TV show premiers it has no competition and nobody is trying to make a buck off that until later down the line.

There seem to be this belief amongst the people like 2D that shops are making a mint of the back of the used market and that all those profits should go back to the developers but that clearly is not the case as retailers are struggling to make money as well (As is evident by the amount of shops going out of business). The shops do deserve to be making some money from used sales as they are the people taking the risk and out laying money to buy games off people, money some of those people will then put forward to new games purchases. They have to balance paying the customer enough to make a trade worth it, while paying low enough to be able to make a profit and sell at a lower price to encourage people to buy the used game off them. Its a careful balancing act that most retailers have yet to get right.

IMHO The used market is great when it comes to finding old games and keeping old games in circulation and this area of the used market should be praised, the part of the used market I dont like is the quick turn around on newly released titles which is in all honesty is probably damaging to the developers.

Publisher and retailers really just need to get together and hash out a deal that works for both sides because in the long run if we get the anti-consumer DRM that is rumoured it will be bad for everyone.

BIB. GAME do make a lot of money from the used market. If we sell a brand new game at £42.99, GAME take £7-8. If GAME sell a film brand new they make 50p, however, if GAME sell a pre-owned title at £37.99, they take £30.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if GAME sell a pre-owned title at £37.99, they take £30.

Less the price of buying the game of course - which in the case I mention would have given them a similar £7-8, unless someone didn't get them to match CeX in which case £20+
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB. GAME do make a lot of money from the used market. If we sell a brand new game at £42.99, GAME take £7-8. If GAME sell a film brand new they make 50p, however, if GAME sell a pre-owned title at £37.99, they take £30.

I didn't realise Games trade in prices where so low. The people who trade a new game into GAME and only get £7.99 need their heads examined. If your figures are true it begs the question how the hell can a company go bankrupt if they are buying games from people for £7.99 and making £30 profit from them. Its been awhile since I last traded anything at GAME but the trade in prices where much better than that when I did.
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I didn't realise Games trade in prices where so low. The people who trade a new game into GAME and only get £7.99 need their heads examined. If your figures are true it begs the question how the hell can a company go bankrupt if they are buying games from people for £7.99 and making £30 profit from them. Its been awhile since I last traded anything at GAME but the trade in prices where much better than that when I did.

My mistake - I didn't include the trade, it was purely after sale figures. A game trades in, but GAME bump the price up, then sell it, so they re-coup their losses and make a massive profit. This is why we are forced into pushing pre-owned because GAME cannot stay open only selling mint products - there is no money in it, same goes for hardware and devices etc.

If we take an iPad for £200 we can actually re-sell it for £350, and people will pay that.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the counter. ..game can take too much used in and not shift it. Its the risk they take
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    On the counter. ..game can take too much used in and not shift it. Its the risk they take

Once our stock hits a certain level, it gets re-called then distributed between different stores in the region, that's why there is such a difference in disc quality sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mistake - I didn't include the trade, it was purely after sale figures. A game trades in, but GAME bump the price up, then sell it, so they re-coup their losses and make a massive profit. This is why we are forced into pushing pre-owned because GAME cannot stay open only selling mint products - there is no money in it, same goes for hardware and devices etc.

When it comes to the whole used debate I am squarely in the middle, I think the used market is good for the industry but I also think its got out of control in recent years. I am all for change if it benefits the customer and everyone end up with a fair deal but what is been suggested at the moment seems heavily focused in favour of big business.

I do think GAME take too much profit and sadly they have built their current business around the used games. But they should make a profit from the used games they sell after all they are taking a gamble buying them in the first place. I bet there are more than a few instances recently were they have paid a fair amount of money for a recent release only to have the publisher cut the price of the new game meaning GAME have to sell the used game at a lower price. This I guess is why we often see complaints about the price of used games verses full price.

There is plenty of money to go around in the gaming market and it could be distributed in a fairer manor if both sides would work together rather than keep fighting each other, if we carry on down the road we are currently on the main loser will be gamers and gaming :( .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it strange that gamers find the used market so appealing.

Why are gamers so keen to line the pockets of companies like GAME with large mark-ups on used games, yet seem to resent the poor developers that only get a small slice of the RRP that people would pay for new.

What Microsoft are proposing is a fairer way to re-distribute the profits from used game sales, by forcing retailers to sign-up to agreements before being able to sell on used games, so the people who create the games get something back and not just greedy retailers.

We all claim to care about the games industry until we have to pay for something, same old story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Games can take a long time to make, easily 1 or 2 years, some of the big blockbuster titles can cost millions, that's a lot of time and money on a single game.

Add to that, the RRP of games, they've remained more or less the same for years.

Add to that, the explosion of the used games market.

What are we left with? A rapidly shrinking games industry.

Gaming is a unique industry for the reasons I've stated above, the Music, film, car industries don't suffer from the same vicious circle of ever decreasing profits, while game production values and demand for better games rises, pushing development times up and up, increasing costs further.

Gamers are damaging the industry, but of course nobody is going to admit to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI-uk wrote: »
    I find it strange that gamers find the used market so appealing.

Why are gamers so keen to line the pockets of companies like GAME with large mark-ups on used games, yet seem to resent the poor developers that only get a small slice of the RRP that people would pay for new.

If anything its the publishers people resent not the developers, there is also a far amount of resentment towards the retails and their actions.

The reason I like the used market is because it keeps old games around, if we get an online activation system in place how long will that system stay alive. I can buy and play an NES game today but will I be able to play an Xbox 1 game in 30years will the online activation server still be on.
    Gaming is a unique industry for the reasons I've stated above, the Music, film, car industries don't suffer from the same vicious circle of ever decreasing profits, while game production values and demand for better games rises, pushing development times up and up, increasing costs further.

I am pretty sure just like games films and music cost a considerable amount more money to produce and promote today than the did in the 80 for example.
    Gamers are damaging the industry, but of course nobody is going to admit to that.

The whole industry is damaging itself. Greedy miss managed publishers, leeching retailers, entitled gamers and biased negative gaming media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Games can take a long time to make, easily 1 or 2 years, some of the big blockbuster titles can cost millions, that's a lot of time and money on a single game.

Add to that, the RRP of games, they've remained more or less the same for years.

Add to that, the explosion of the used games market.

What are we left with? A rapidly shrinking games industry.

There is nothing in that response that justifies changing the second hand market and that bit in bold wow, it couldn't be that companies are spending so much on AAA titles that they could never turn a profit regardless of a used market or not

The sooner publishers realize that no matter how shiny their games looks they will never sell CoD and Fifa numbers the better

And the sooner some gamers stop lapping it up and actually realize all this bad news is a line being feed to them by the games publishers the better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I was out last Saturday and remembered Grid 2 had just come out, looked on my phone and saw Game were selling it for £39.99 (brands hatch edition), so even though I thought that was a little overpriced I made my way to the shop. Got inside and there it was on a big stand priced at £44.99.

Thats been my experience of Game every time I've been in there, I've tried asking about this before and have been told that thats just the way it is and their online prices are always cheaper.

I don't understand it to be honest, especially when the only prices are already cheaper plus they give free P+P.

In general though they are overpriced and I think I've only bought new games from them twice.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their prices are still a lot higher than other sources. I went into my local Game store earlier & they were selling Tomb Raider on the PS3 for £28, yet my local Morrisons are doing it for £20 plus if I use my girlfriends staff card, it gets reduced to £18. Given the choice of saving a tenner, I would much rather go to the supermarket for the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought Remember me in Game before for £35 which is about a £1 less than it costs at shopto and £1 more than it costs from Amazon

It was on sale with a bunch of other new games like Resident Evil Revelations

Seems a pretty fair and competitive price to me