Only if you don't have trim enabled.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to file recovery.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual, things like BBC iPlayer will take a little while to update to be compatible with 4.3.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    As usual, things like BBC iPlayer will take a little while to update to be compatible with 4.3.

Is it not already compatible? I don't think that any drastic changes have been made meaning it isn't. Could just be as simple as approving it for 4.3 devices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Is it not already compatible? I don't think that any drastic changes have been made meaning it isn't. Could just be as simple as approving it for 4.3 devices.

I'm sure it is very simple. But if you try and download it from Play it currently says it's not compatible. Same thing happens every time there is Android update. They usually fix it in a matter of days though.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    even Sky Go is already compatible with 4.3. Its just a case of the BBC dev ticking a box on the play store. iPlayer works fine for those that have it installed.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nexus 7 updated. Now I can't download anything from the play store. It says "error retrieving information from server rpc:s-5:aec-0"
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    It's not available OTA yet. I prefer to wait for the "official" release.

i got the official OTA last Thursday
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    My nexus 7 updated. Now I can't download anything from the play store. It says "error retrieving information from server rpc:s-5:aec-0"
    Did you use the Google Framework Services hack to speed up the update?

Either way, you just need to remove your Google Account and then re-add it - that should fix the problem.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no update on my Nexus 7....
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Still no update on my Nexus 7....

Im the same with my Nexus 4 no updates still.

Darren
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you use the Google Framework Services hack to speed up the update?

Either way, you just need to remove your Google Account and then re-add it - that should fix the problem.

Cheers. That did it!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Cheers. That did it!

Sometimes this also de registers your device. You should go to the play website on your computer and check that it's still on your device list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Sometimes this also de registers your device. You should go to the play website on your computer and check that it's still on your device list.

Just checked, it's there. Thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got the 4.3 update on my N7 last night. The main problem I have found is that the previously perfect MX player doesn't work any more.
    Forum Member
    Finally got the 4.3 update on my N7 last night. The main problem I have found is that the previously perfect MX player doesn't work any more.

Seems to be a known issue.

The developer hasn't said anything on his forum. i wonder if he's away or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing I've noticed is that the multi-user feature works smoothly now. I did try it when it was first introduced in an earlier version, but it was extremely sluggish so gave up on it. Been using it now on 4.3 for a few days and it's totally fine now. Also general graphics performance seems to have been optimised in 4.3.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Nope, it seems trim is in its way related to removing undelete functionality. I never needed to know and always assumed it was about data block overlaps.

There are further drawbacks to SSD then.

No real world drawbacks to SSD other than the relative cost of storage compared to spinning rusting discs. Longevity isn't an issue (any given SSD will likely outlast most peoples laptops for the read/write cycles), and fragmentation on SSDs does not have a performance overhead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    No real world drawbacks to SSD other than the relative cost of storage compared to spinning rusting discs. Longevity isn't an issue (any given SSD will likely outlast most peoples laptops for the read/write cycles), and fragmentation on SSDs does not have a performance overhead.
    Utter rubbish. One misbehaving app and your SSD is ghost.

And it is now 5 years + since I had a personal hard disk fail.
    And I pointed out that other likely drawback when trimming my fragmentation comment.
    And a 90% as good 1GB SSHD now costs about £85. How much for a 1GB SSD?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Utter rubbish. One misbehaving app and your SSD is ghost.

And it is now 5 years + since I had a personal hard disk fail.
    And I pointed out that other likely drawback when trimming my fragmentation comment.
    And a 90% as good 1GB SSHD now costs about £85. How much for a 1GB SSD?

I'm not talking about MTBF, I'm talking about the write cycles of SSDs. Two totally different things. I did state that the only disadvantage of the SSD is the relative price.

And as for a misbehaving app killing off an SSD ..... really? It would take years of full disc read/write cycles to hit their limit. More likely to kill off a spinning metal disc with a misbehaving application.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    And as for a misbehaving app killing off an SSD ..... really? It would take years of full disc read/write cycles to hit their limit.
    If your disk is near full and using MLC it wont be very long at all, especially considering the caching nature of apps and web browsers.

Your 'years' always assumes best non misbehaving and very standard usage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a known issue.

The developer hasn't said anything on his forum. i wonder if he's away or something.

Still no sign of a fix for MX Player. The developer seems to have vanished.

What a shame as MX Player was by far the best Android player that I have used - and I tried a lot of them. What do people think it the best alternative?
    Forum Member
    Still no sign of a fix for MX Player. The developer seems to have vanished.

What a shame as MX Player was by far the best Android player that I have used - and I tried a lot of them. What do people think it the best alternative?

I agree it is by far the best.

I'm hoping he's on holiday and not dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it is by far the best.

I'm hoping he's on holiday and not dead.

I've just switched to the VLC player. I've found a few things it won't play (mostly some MPEGs) but it does seem to be the best of the rest.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This test build of MX-Player works:
    https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

(though the decoding option needs to be changed from HW+ to HW)

There's a whole thread with 90+ posts here:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mx-videoplayer/nycAYX5md-g

Some have even flagged the developer.